Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#14639] Elizabeth Dapion

Gjest Mausey Hagen
 Del

Gjest Mausey Hagen

I am looking for any information on Elizabeth Dapion.Elizabeth was born in 1854 in Norway. She married Peter William Pajari (Petter Vilhelm Bajari) from Finland in 1881. She died May 1931 in Wadena County, Minnesota.She had 6 children in Norway before she and Peter immigrated to USA in 1890 to Michigan. The children were: John, Hjalmer, Naina, Minnie, Erland and Lila.They moved to Sebeka, Minnesota in 1901 and had 6 more children. The childen were: Peter, Einard, Anna, Richard, Alice and Alma.Any information would be welcome. Thanks

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Yngve Nedrebø

In the Trondheim emigrant lists we find Peter W. Bajari, from Vadsø, age 32, as an emigrant Sept. 3, 1890:LenkeBut according to the list he was 'ug' - a batchelor.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Astrid Ryen

DAPION: This name is not be found in the censuses - at least not spelt that way. There is a Dabio in the 1900 cansus for Vadsø, and a few people with names like Tapio/Tappio/Topio in the T.heim emigrant lists (the names are most probably of Finnish origin). None of these have a first name Elisabeth.By the way, I found an Elisabeth in the emigrant lists that is interesting because of the names of her children if you compare them to the ones that you have mentioned: Johan (John), Nanna (Naina), Vilhelmina (Minnie), Erland. This Elisabeth is married (g) but I cannot see any husband!This is the link:Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Astrid Ryen

Elisabeth's second name is Bøiari which could be a misspelling of Bajari!According to the emigrant lists their tickets had been prepaid in 'Amerika'

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Astrid Ryen

There are 21 people by the name of Tapio in the 1865 census - all of them living in Vadsø, Finnmark. Some of them were born in Finland, others in Vadsø. There is no Elisabeth.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mausey Hagaen

I think you might have located the right Elizabeth. In Finnish, the name is spelled Bajari but pronounced B I R E. I have a list of the Bajari brothers that shows that Peter was married to Elizabeth Dapion, but their son John's death certificate showed his mother's maiden name as Tapio. I thought it was probably a recording error as everyone in the area at the time of his death was Finnish, so I think we are on the right track here.Mange takk for hjelpen!Mausey

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mausey Hagen

In reviewing the Emigrant Lists - I think that Peter came to USA first as Copper County, Michigan was recruiting laborers to come to America to work and they woudl pay for passage - the individual then had to work a year. It looks like a year later he sent for his family as he had re-located to Holmes City, Minnesota where Peter's brother was. He then settled in Sebeka, Minnesota.By the way, the name Bajari is prounced Boy are ee in Finnish.I sure would like to find out the names of Elizabeth's parents if anyone can help.I think she worked as a laundress or maid or servant when she met Peter as she was acused of using their time and their soap to do his laundry also and she assured her employer that she was not.Thanks, Mausey

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Astrid Ryen

I cannot find E. Tapio or J.W. Bajari in the 1865 census. Nor do I find them in the 1875 census (which I think is complete for Finnmark). Of course, there is a chance that they were registered with patronyms but I am not so sure that Elisabeth was born and raised in Norway.Since their residence is said to be Vadsø in the emigrant lists, there is a possibility that they were married there, and that their children were born in Vadsø.Astrid

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mausey Hagen

John and Elizabeth's first child John (Johan)Abraham Pajari was born 25 Jun 1883.Is there any way I can find out for sure he was born in Vadsø and how his parents spelled their names.Is there any birth and christening records that I can access on the web? Or is there anyone who has that access?Thanks.Mausey

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Astrid Ryen

I have found something that may be of interest. An ELISA Sofie Jacobsdatter (Tapio) was born in Polmak (on the Tana river, west of Vadsø) in 1859. Her parents were Jakob Abrahamsen Tapio and Anna Andersdatter Fors.She had the following siblings: Johan Abraham Vilhelm, Nils Andreas August, Ole Erik.I have found the family in 1865 and 1875 living in approximately the same place.Do you or your relatives recognise any of the names mentioned above?Astrid

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Astrid Ryen

Categories - church registers - baptized/married -Finnmak - KjøllefjordThere you will find Elisa born and her siblings born and her parents married.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mausey Hagen

Thank you very much Astrid,I am not sure if this is the right family, but it is certainly worth investigating. I plan to ask family members if they recognize any names.Thank you for your investigation on this. It is very much appreciated as I have no information on Elizabeth at all before she married Peter and came to Minnesota.Mausey

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mausey Hagen

I was able to find the marrige record and baptism records for the family in 11. above but was unsuccessful in trying to find the family in the 1865 and 1875 census.I show a lot of Tapios living in Vadsø but do not find Jakob Abrahamsen Tapio and Anna Adersdatter Fors.Could someone provide me with the link?Thank you.Mausey

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Astrid Ryen

This is the link to the 1865 census:LenkeJakob Abr. Tapiå (Tapio) is a fisherman and lives together with his wife and three children. Elen Sofies first given name is not correct.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Astrid Ryen

This is the 1875 census:LenkeAnna Andersdatter is a widow and lives together with her four children. They live on the same farm as in 1865. The 1875 census is also more specific about birthplace than the 1865 cesus.Astrid

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mausey Hagen

Thank you Astrid,I was able to find both of the census. I appreciate your help. Now all if have to do is confirm that this is the right Elizabeth!Many thanks.Mausey

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 4 uker senere...
Gjest Mausey Hagen

I have some new information on Elizabeth:Her death certificate says she was born 17 Apr 1861. She was born in Norway. It states her father's name was Tabio born in Finland and her mother's name was Brita Ylit or Ylet Ols born in Finland.On the US census for 1930 and 1920, it shows that her husband Peter immigrated in 1890 and she in 1891, so I think we have the correct Emigration List.On two of her son's death certificates it shows Elizabeth's maiden name as Tabio.Will this information help in finding Elizabeth's parents?Mausey

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Astrid Ryen

I suppose we have to try another 'wild guess'. I went to the site (Emigration from Finnmark) that Britt Hjeltnes referred to in nr. 7. I found a Brita Ylidala (name also spelt Ylitala in the censuses) emigrating from T.heim in 1903, born 1833, a widow, heading for SEBEKA, Minn. This is her on the emigration list:LenkeI suggest you go to this site of Emigration from Finnmark, and you will find an address where you may get more information on these people.Astrid

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mausey Hagen

Thank you very much Astrid,This looks like it could be Elizabeth's mother as Elizabeth and Peter Pajari lived in Sebeka, Minnesota.I appreciate your help on this.Mausey

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mausey Hagen

I was unable to find Brita Ylitala in the census anywhere. I tried several different spellings of her name and tried several years. She must have been there in 1900 if she emigrated in 1903. Could someone provide me with this link. Thanks.Mausey Hagen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Astrid Ryen

I forgot to tell you that I could not locate her either - not in any of the three censuses. So far we have not been able to find any of the others either (I mean Elisabeth and Peter Bajari). Maybe they lived in Finland. I don`t know.Therefore I think you should go to the two interesting sites mentioned by Britt. Make queries and contact people who are well acquainted with the area.Astrid

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mausey Hagen

Thank you very much for trying to locate Elizabeth. Some people are so very difficult to find.I am quite sure Peter and Elizabeth lived in Norway (probably in a Finnish community-Peter was born in Finland). My grandfather, John Pajari, was born in Norway as were some of his brothers and sisters. I believe that Elizabeth was also born in Norway and that both of her parents were from Finland as her death certificate and the 1930 US census states. I am sure you have found the correct emigration lists for both Peter and Elizabeth (post #2 and #3) as the names all sound right and it agrees with the US census data. I also feel that the emigration of Britha Ylidala from Vadsø to Sebeka, Minn. must be the correct person. There has certainly been a lot of progress since I first started.Thanks so very much to everyone who has contributed to my search for Elizabeth.Mausey Hagen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.