Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#14760] What is 'Friis' ?

Gjest Dale Tuvey
 Del

Gjest Dale Tuvey

Can someone tell me the meaning of the word Friis? In one reference one of my ancestors was identified as Karolina Eilsabeth Nilsd. Friisd. I now see in thread number 14631 a person named Jacob Valentinsen (Friis). Is Friis a name? a place? an occupation? a title? or?Karolina was born approximately 1768 in Naustdal, S&F at Hafstad farm I believe, during a time for which the parrish records were destroyed according to what I can gather so I can not trace her lineage back farther. Perhaps a bygdebok would have some information. If someone does have a bygdebok perhaps there is also information about her husband, Ivar Heljiesen or Helgesen, born approx. 1748 at Hafstad farm, Naustdal, S&F. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Dale Tuvey

Thanks for the help Jan and Arnstein. I'd still like to hear about Karoline and/or Ivar if anyone has a bygdebok or other source of information.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnstein Rønning

Hafstad farm is in Førde - ap 15 km south/east of Naustdal.FamilySearch: Iver Helgesen born 14. July 1748 Hallbrend, Førde. Parents: Helge (Hellie) Gundersen Halbrend and Karen Madsdotter.Mh Arnstein

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnstein Rønning

Gunder Halbrend born abt 1696 in Førde (FS). I also find Mads Eriksen Halbrend born 1795 marrying Lovise Gundersen Hafstad - relatives of the above mentioned perhaps?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnstein Rønning

Hellie Gundersen bapt 11. jul 1727 Førde (it says 'Female' but I don't think so). Father Gunnar Halbrend.Karen Matsdatter bapt 28.4.1723 Førde. Father mentioned just as 'Mats'. All from FS (should be chequed further).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Dale Tuvey

Thanks again, Arnstein. I must have made a mistake (imagine that) as I thought I'd already checked Family Search but hadn't found anything. I went there after receiving your informantion and also saw an Iver Helgesen christened Feb 4, 1748. Could that be the right one? Is there any reason you chose the July 14 born Iver as the right one?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnstein Rønning

... and here are the 'bygde-books' for Førde and Naustdal:Førde bygdebok, Gardssoge og soga om folket; Finn Borgen Førsund; Førde kommune, 1990 Førde bygdebok, Gardssoge og soga om folket II; Finn Borgen Førsund; Førde kommune, 1992Kleiveland, Geir Naustdal bygdebok - Gards og ættesoge - gnr: 20-99. Band 1. (Naustdal sogelag, 1995) Kleiveland, Geir Naustdal bygdebok - Gards og ættesoge - gnr: 100-153. Band 2 (Naustdal sogelag, 1997You may ask another question asking for someone to look into these books for you.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnstein Rønning

...but I should not bet on it - I have now found 2 of his children, Elisabeth Marie Nilsdatter Friis and Søren Hielm Friis, but they are born 1785 and 1781 in Hinderå, Tysvær (Rogaland) - Carolina born abt 1768.- but that Niels might have had one 'private' in younger days!I am sure there is information about this Carolina Friis in the bygdebooks.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Hege Sofie Bull

Yes, that is right that Elisabeth Marie Nilsdatter Friis and Søren Hielm Friis is children of Niels Friis and Birgitta Christine Hielm! I have not found Carolina as a children of the same persons...

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Dale Tuvey

Arnstein-How can I ever thank you. You have done so much work. My poor research skills are showing. I had seen the 1801 census but did not associate Ivar's father shown down the page with him. And then to get more information on Carolina too - Awesome!I will see if I can find someone with a Forde or Naustdal bygdebok to follow your leads. Ironically I was in Washington DC at the Library of Congress three weeks ago and looking at the Naustdal bygdebok in their collection. I wish I had known then the information you have given me. It is a long way from Langley to Washington DC so I probably won't get there for some time, but maybe I can find someone with the books I need. Thanks again. I am grateful.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnstein Rønning

By the way; I have an ancestor named Anne Nielsdatter Friis. She died 6. july 1623. I cannot find her parents!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.