Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#14842] Ellen Edvatdsdatter fra Aure og Halsa til USA. Hvor ble det av henne?

Gjest Johannes Haltbakk
 Del

Gjest Johannes Haltbakk

How can I find Ellen Edvartsdatter Jensen nee Aakvik form Halsa Norway? Elen Edvardsdatter Aakvik (also spelled Aakvig) born in May 29th 1886. She was babtised at Tustna (1886 spelled Tusteren) in July 5th. Her mother was maid Martha Toresdatter Aakvik born 1856 form Halsa (also spelled Halse) and her father was bachelor Edvard Pedersen Årsund born 1862. Churchbook for Tustna says that both parentslived at Halsnes i 1886. Churchbook says Martha had one child from before at that time, and Edvard had non. Cencus of Aure in 1900 verify that Elen Edvardsdatter was born at Tustna in 1886 and that she was the daughter in the house at Maridal where the mother was married. In 'Halsaboka' (local history book of Halsa), Ellens fathers name is wrong. Ellen travelled from Kristiansund with destination New York February 6th 1901with Hv.Stj.Linjen. She travelled toeather with Anne J. Aakvig, Ellen A. Aakvig and E. Halvorsen. E. Halvorsen is living in Chicago the ship registry says. This is her mothers half brother who is now an american citizener and who have been visiting his old home.E. Ellen Aakvik is registred as arrived New York february 20th 1901 via Liverpool with the ship Oceanic. She is registrated as 14 yrs old. Her uncle ”Emerich Halvorsen” payed the bill for her, and her further destination is Chicago. According to 'Halsaboka' Ellen married a farmer named Jensen. But nobody living today knows her destiny. The family story says she died young. Her uncle 'E.Halvorsen' , Ingebrigt Halvorsen, have several decendants in USA, but non of them have heared of Ellen. Ellen also had two younger half sisters: Inga Blomquist and Emma Beyer, and they don' t know of ther eigther.In the 1920 census in Cook County, Chicago, Illinois there is a 34 year old Ellen Jensen who is a widow born in Norway living with her 12 year old son. Says she is an alien and came over in 1905. Emigration dates are not always true in census recordsHow can I verify or falsify that this is the same Elen?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

What is the boys name; perhaps i can find his birth, but thats a longshot; when the IL index is again online(down presently) i will see how many Ellen's might be 'looked up'. ..and since the Halvorsen's are at Mt. O, she could be also; so i may call/visit (but has this been done already?) Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Johannes--your 'in luck' in several ways; the IL index came back on line--there is only 1 Ellen Jensen in the index (i thought there would be many!); so i take it she was not found in the 1930 census? The date was May 8, 1927, #13623, i will look at the film and let you know, Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Johannes Haltbakk

The son of Elen was names John according to 1920 cencus. Mt. Olive where Elens uncle is buried have been visited by the uncle's decentants and the graves are found.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Johannes Haltbakk

Thanky you Roger for being interestted again!There is also a second ELEN, dead in 1933:JENSEN ELEN F/W UNK 0490206 1933-04-26 LAKE MUNDELEIN

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Perhaps you can tell me the 1920 address, that might help; that Ellen was born in US to US born parents. I've ordered film for Elen. I've also ordered film for a John, born 1907. Finding John in the 1930 census would help--living at what address? Married? Maybe next week i will look for her marriage, there is some chance of finding a church record. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Johannes Haltbakk

OK, so the Elen Jensen d. 1933 is american born. Then there is only one Elen/ Ellen left.I only have the scan of the 1920 cencus which I got in Ancestry.com of Marit Bakke who answered my request 20 Dec 2002 at the subject 'The Rostens from the Roros area' (a misplaced my request at this subject).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
Gjest Roger Thauland

Perhaps she was not found because-been barking up the wrong tree! In the 1930 census i found John H. Jensen, 22, born in IL to Norwegians, living with Ellen Danborn (indexed wrongly as Danbom) and Fred H. Danborn. Lived at 808 Lockwood Ave. Fred dies March 30, 1933 at age 42, i will email the cert. But of course this leads to more questions! Does she remarry? I will see if she is at Mt. Olive with Fred. Perhaps a conection can be found via Fred, he is born in Chicago, Jan 11, 1891, to Frederick Danborn of Linkainy? Sweden and Clara Anderson of Skeni??, Sweden. Ellen is the informant, so she is living on this date. The year from Norway is 1905, so the other source is wrong or perhaps she made 2 trips? Might Ellen used the surname Mathiesen? I looked for her first marriage, and will look at some film, the marriage may not have been in Chicago, of course. I will order an obit for Fred. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Johannes Haltbakk

Thank you for interesting information. It really seems that you now might be tracing the Ellen and son John from the 1920 Cencus. If so, Ellen Jensen d. 1927 is another one.(I don't know the name of 'my' Ellens children, or if she had children.)I've not found Ellen returing to USA for a second time in 1905. There was a lot of travelling in her family, for example her stephfather, Ole Eriksen Maridal, went from Kristiansund to USA april 17th 1901, May 27th 1903, June 5th 1907 and Feb 27th 1909. It might be that her name is misstpelled in some of the emigration protocols ant therefor not found. Mathiesen is not a name used i her family. If I should try to force and explaination of 'my' Ellens use of that name, it can be that Matrhiesen is an anglofication of Maridal: her stephfathers surname.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Yes, it cannot be the 1927, i am waiting for the 1933 film, which could be her if the Jensen name were used, and that could be true if her son John was in charge of the arrangements, he was a Jensen! She is not at Mt. Olive, Fred Danborn(misspelled), is in section 4, space 2504, which is a 'single'; he is by himself. From the marriage index i see 2 possible's: Ole Jensen and Charles Jensen--if someone which access to the 1910 census would do a lookup---the one we want has the boy John, about 2 yrs old and Ellen about 23/24. I have ordered some film to help sort it out. The other possible surname is Hansen. I think the 1901 may have been a visit, with her staying in the US after 1905, when we pin down her marriage and the surname then you might find her in the travel lists! Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Johannes Haltbakk

In answer number 9 you said the Ellen you found was american born. I thought you ment Ellen d. 1933. Did I misunderstand you? Did you talk about Ellen d. 1927?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Sometimes facts get in the way of my theories and yes, i did mean the 1927 was born in the US. The 1933 was born in Sweden, nothing matched except her name. I did find some info about Fred's sister. She was Olga, born 1888, died 1910 of TB, unmarried, buried Mt. Olive, and does not help finding Ellen. When we find Ellens first marriage, we then might learn Johns birthdate from church records, and that might lead to him in the SSDI or other indexes, and that might lead to an obit which might mention Ellen. There is also some chance of her or John being with that Jensen. I've ordered film of the cert of Ole Jensen, d 1-31-1917, who might be John's father since he married Ellen Mathiesen, 5-1-1907. If they married in a church and its records are available....well, in a week or so the film will arrive. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
Gjest Roger Thauland

Uff..foiled again, the 1917 Ole is a very unlikely match. And the film that was susposed to have their marriage certificate- did not. So i ordered the 1907 'misc' film which contains all the misfiled or misnumbered 1907 lic's, so we will see-in a few more weeks. And the film of a 1907 John Jensen birth is backordered. Things can take time, i am also waiting for a lookup of Fred's obit--if not found might try another paper. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Johannes Haltbakk

Hello again. About John: We found a John living with his mother Elen Jensen in the cencus of 1920, but remember: I don't know if the Elen I'm searching for had a son named John.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 måneder senere...

[url="http://genforum.genealogy.com/mt/>http://genforum.genealogy.com/mt/ I MAY have found your Ellen, but I can't be positive. Here is what I found in the 1930 census:1930 U.S. Federal Census; Montana; Stillwater County; Township of Dean; Roll #: T626_1263, Page: 1A; Enumeration District: 14; Image: 0064.JENSEN, Jens C.; head of household; 58 years of age; married; first married at 32 years of age; immigrated to U.S. in 1893; born in Norway; both parents born in Norway; occupation: farmer--general farming.JENSEN, Ellen; wife; 43 years of age; married; first married at 37 years of age; immigrated to U.S. in 1900; born in Norway; both parents born in Norway; occupation: none listed.JENSEN, Marie G.; daughter; 25 years of age; single; born in Illinois; both parents born in Norway; occupation: clerk--general store.JENSEN, Elizabeth J.; daughter; 24 years of age; single; born in Illinois; both parents born in Norway; occupation: office girl--doctor's office.JENSEN, Ella B.; daughter; 18 years of age; single; born in Illinois; both parents born in Norway; occupation: none listed.JENSEN, John L.; son; 18 years of age; single; born in Illinois; both parents born in Norway; occupation: laborer--general farming.JENSEN, Arthur E.; son; 16 years of age; single; born in Illinois; both parents born in Norway; occupation: none listed.In this same census (as above, except: Page: 1B; Enumeration District: 14; Image: 0065.JENSEN, Jens; servant; 20 years of age; born in Illinois; both parents born in Norway; occupation: laborer--ranching.I would think that young Jens is a member of the family above.If you want to research further in Stillwater County, Montana, go to this link:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 5 år senere...
Gjest Johannes Haltbakk

I have now found the great granddaughter of Ellen. She have sent me a picture of Ellens mother - the same picture I have as well - So the picture must be a 100% safe proof that L. F. Montana has found the right Ellen. Thank you L. F !

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.