Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#15037] Accuracy of 1865 census and availabilty of documents to order copies.

Gjest Maureen E. Ritter
 Del

Gjest Maureen E. Ritter

Below is an excerpt from the 1865 Census in Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway of my Gr-Great Grandparents, Christian J. Ritter & Sophie Knick Ritter, along with who looks to be Sophie's younger brother, Hermann Knick and the couples eldest child, Doref (Doris) Ritter.The census lists Sophie's birthplace as Holmestrand, yet her brother listed above her husband is listed as being born in the same place as Christian J. Ritter, Erfurdt, Germany.How accurate were these birthplace records? Would Sophie have had to produce proof of Norwegian birth during the census? Is there any way to order a birth certificate for both her and her daughter? What about ordering a copy of the marriage certificate and the immigration records? Sophie is listed on the S.S. Hansa out of Oslo to Philadelphia in 1869. I can find no record of Christian or Herman emigrating as yet, however, they both appear in Brooklyn, New York in 1880.1013 5 1 Herman Knick?? hf Bager ug 25 m Erfurdt %Lutersk Evangelisk% 1 1014 6 Christian Ritter Bager g 29 m Erfurdt %Lutersk Evangelisk% 1015 7 Sophie Ritter f Knick?? Hans Kone g 28 k Holmestrand %Lutersk Evangelisk% 1016 8 Doris Ritter Deres Datter ug 1 k Holmestrand

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Yngve Nedrebø

The information given in the 1865 census was gathered from the individuals. If they gave incorrect info, the same info will be presented in the census lists. A lot of the info found in the censuses (any census I guess) are inaccurate.To find out whether or not Sophie really was born in Holmestrand, one should search the parish registers from Holmestrand, or the confirmation records, if she was born elsewhere, but had her birth confirmed in Holmestrand. Holmestrand is in Vestfold, and the parish registers will be in Statsarkivet i Kongsberg, but with film copies in the net of libraries operated by the LDS.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.