Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#16069] Øyri gard in Leikanger

Gjest Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen
 Del

I have found several church records that mention the farm name Øyri (and also Havnsøyri), in Leikanger parish, Sogn og Fjordane. I cannot find this farm in any census. I also looked in Oluf Rygh. The closest name I could find was Øren, but Øyri was not listed as one of the older word forms for this farm. I would appreciate any assistance or advice...Helsing, Patricia

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest KjellArne Sem-Johansen

Patricia It's right that farm name is Øyri. In the bok of Leikanger then the first farmer is in 1656, his name is Johannes. The bok is writhen by Roald Lyngvær for 'Leikanger Bygdeboknemd' Helsing Kjell Arne

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you, Kjell Arne, for your quick response! Actually, I didn't think the church records were wrong... I just wondered why I can't find this farm in any census? Is it listed under another farm? I found church records showing births at Øyri in the late 1700s and early 1800s. But I can't find this farm in 1701 or 1801. Can you help me?Helsing, Patricia

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hello Gisle,Thank you for the links. I did see these farms, except for Uren. In the Oluf Rygh database, Øhren and Ørrenn are shown as older forms of the farm name Øren (in Leikanger, Fresvik sogn). I guess my question is exactly what you said... are Øyri, Øren and Øhren all the same farm?Here is one more question -- in Oluf Rygh, under Øren (Gnr 50), it says this:'Se Indl. S. 88 under øyrr. Ved Udløbet af Fresvikelven.'I can't read Norwegian. Does this part contain any clues? Just curious...Thanks again for your help.Helsing, Patricia

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnstein Rønning

Øren, Øra and Øyri is the same word - Øyri is a local pronunciation (I think that my last word is wrong spelled?). In the book 'Stedsnavn i Norge' I find Øren as a farm in Leikanger, with the postal address Fresvik. In Sogn og Fjordane I find Øyri in Vågsøy - postal address Måløy.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Peter Wiborg

Hi, put in stedsnavn:øyri and kommune:vik here: http://www.visveg.no/visveg/ , and you will find the farm Øyri along the Fresvik river. The Fresvik church is on the other side of the river.Note: The Fresvik area (where the farm Øyri is situated), bacame a part of of Vik municipality in 1992. Earlier, the area belong to Leikanger municipality.Jan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Peter Wiborg

Just a few words about the name Øyri.Big amounts of sand and gravel are often deposited where the river meets the lake or fjord. This deposition are called a delta. In Norway, many such areas have names thats ends -øra or -øyra. Øyri is the way they spell/pronounce it in Sogn & Fjordane county.And as you can see from the map (8), Øyri is situated on such a delta, made from the Fresvik river.Jan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you all for this information! I was looking at the family of Størcher Aslachsen, who was born at Otrehjell in 1730 and died at Øyri in 1785. His marriage record shows his residence as Havnsøyri (Balestrand parish) in 1771. His children (3 that I know of) were born at Øyri (parish ID 1419) between 1772-1777. His wife, Britha Halversdatter, is said to have died at Øyri in 1809, but in the 1801 census, she is at Hove. Apparently, none of the children stayed on this farm, so it was no use looking for them. I just wanted to look at the people living at Øyri in the various censuses, to see if there were any clues about this family... But when I looked, I couldn't find it!Thank you again for your assistance...Helsing, Patricia

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Peter Wiborg

Hi Patricia, this database gave some hits on your family: LenkeAslach Størchens. christened 20.SEP.1772 Størchen Aslachs., Britha Haldord. ØyriIngebor Størcherd. christened 2.4.1775 Størcher Aslachs., Britha Halverd. ØyriHalvor Størchers. christened 9.NOV.1777 Størcher Aslachs., Brita Halvord. ØyriThe database also contains records of marriage and burials.Search hints: Just search on parts of the name, like mother firstname=Bri, lastname=Hal. And remember that Øyri at that time was a part of Leikanger.Jan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.