Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#16619] Search for great grandparents, grandmother, emigration to United States 1869

Gjest Grace Ellis
 Del

Gjest Grace Ellis

My great grandparents and grandmother left Norway in spring 1869. They were from Hemnes in Nordland so the nearest port would have been Trondheim. Unable to find them in the emigrant registration lists. Alesund would be the next closest but the digital records cover only years 1878-1930. Bergen would be the next closest port although quite distant, but those records do not go back that far either. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Grace Ellis

Olaus Benjamin Benonisen (b 31 Dec 1841) son of Benoni Johansen and Gertru Eliasdatr of Kongsdahl; Anna Olava Henriksdtr (b 25 Aug 1845), daughter of Henrik Larssen and Maren Jonsdtr of Nedreler (Leiren nedre), and Helene Marie (b) 25 Aug 1845).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Astrid Ryen

I could not find them in the list of emigrants from Trondheim. The great majority of emigrants from Hemnes (approximately 1200)are to be found in the Trondheim emigrant list. Very few from Hemnes are to be found in lists from other ports along the west coast to Bergen.Have you located the family in the US 1880 census? What was their second name?(Searching the emigrant list I did come up with an Olaus Benjamin Kambak, American citizen living in Juwell Iowa, born 1843, who apparently was home on a visit in 1908. But he is not the one, he emigrated from Leksvik (Lexvig) in Nord-Trøndelag in 1878.)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila N. Christiansen

Grace, have you found the family in 1865-census in Norway? I don't find them..What familyname did they use in the US? Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Astrid Ryen

Laila.Hemnes Nordland 1865:Olaus B. Benonissen, 24, Nedreler farm. (servant)Anne O. Hendriksdatter, 21, Buvigen farm (servant)They were not married in 1865.Astrid

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Grace Ellis

Last name used by Olaus Benjamin Benonisen in the United States = Benson, but early on he was known by the name Benonisen. I do have the 1865 information concerning both Anne (Anna)at Buvigen and Olaus at Nedreler. I believe my next option is to scan the ships passenger lists into NY harbor in 1869 which are available to me at the Denver Public Library. However, there is the question about how they entered America--could have been via Quebec. They did not marry until after arrival in this country.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila N. Christiansen

Grace, what is your source for the immigration year? Is it possible that they immigrated earlier? And, another thing, where did they settle in the US? Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Grace Ellis

Many thanks to each of you who have responded to my query about my great grandparents and grandmother. I do have the information concerning 1865 census as well as the Hemnes bygdebok information. What I am lacking is their emigration date and US port of entry. My assumption is they would have departed Norway from Trondheim which is the port from which the other family members left and is the nearest to Hemnes. I'm told that all available 1869 emigrants have been entered into the database on-line, but that not all individuals registered with the police. The information that they came to America in the spring of 1869 comes from a couple of newspaper articles in this country about them. I too considered that they might have been off a year or so and have researched the years 1867 through 1870. Thank you again for the interest you have demonstrated in offering your support! Grace Ellis

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Grace Ellis

Sorry, I overlooked a question. They first lived in Minnesota and later North Dakota. I have copies of official records in this country, i.e., marriage certificate, homestead claim, death records and the like. ge

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.