Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#16627] Tips til søk i British Columbia, Canada,- ekteskap fra rundt 1939 eller noe før.

Gjest Heidi Økern
 Del

Gjest Heidi Økern

Min mormors bror emigrerte til Canada, hvor han levde et spennende liv med gruvearbeid før han kom hjem til Norge for å dø i 1950. Nå har jeg funnet et brev fra han som er skrevet i 1939 hvor han forteller om sin kone,- Bella. Det som er rart,- er at ingen av de gjenlevende slektningene i Norge visste at han var gift. Da han kom hit i 1950, var han ikke gift, så Bella var nok død eller så var de skilt. Er det noe sted jeg kan lete etter dette inngåtte ekteskapet (og/eller evt. Bella's død eller deres skilsmisse)? I brevet til sin søster skriver han fra Minto, B.C. og sier ikke noe mer om dette enn at han har en 'bra kone' som heter Bella og at hun har en sønn fra før som er 14 år (han oppgir ikke noe navn) og skal bli sakfører! Er dette helt 'nåla i høystakken'?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 3 måneder senere...
Gjest Fern Teleglow

Hei! You can look for Bella in the BC death registrations index at www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca under vital events. I tried to look for you, but without knowing her last name it was difficult. It could also be under his last name. Good luck!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Heidi Økern

Thank you, Fern. I've been looking at the vital events, but since I don't know when she died (or her last name)it's difficult (it has to be between 1939 and 1950). And I couldn't find them as married because it seems like the marriages are registered only until 1927.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Adele Goa

The Minto Mine post office was open from 1935 to 1960. It was in the Kamloops, Cariboo area of British Columbia. Mye gruvearbeid rundt omkring Kamloops. Hva hater din mormors bror? Kanskje vi kan finne Bella med hans etternavn. Bella could be a nickname for Isabella.mvh Adele

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Heidi Økern

His name was Peder Hilmar Hansen (called himself Pete Hanson in Canada). The letter he wrote from Minto is from 1939. I've tried to find Bella's death on vital events, but didn't succeed. Maybe they weren't married after all? Pete and his twin brother worked in the mining business and they also had two lodges,- South Fork Lodge and Shalalth Lodge. His twin brother Elliott died in a mining accident in Copper Mountain. First they had a farm which they sold to B.P.R.C. according to some information I have. Do you know what B.P.R.C. is?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Hans Myhre

Hei Heidi, jeg trenger fødselsdato og fødested på Peder Hilmar Hansen hvis jeg skal komme videre. Hvis du ikke vil oppgi det her så er epostadressen min:hansmyhr@online.no

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Adele Goa

I think B.P.R.C. is either British Pacific Railway Company or British Petroleum Resources Canada [now called BP Energy Company]. Both of these companies were very active in real estate around this part of BC. I will try and find out some more about both of them. There is a lot of information about 2 Copper Mountains in BC. The one where Elliot Hansen died would be Copper Mountain near Princeton. I have found a death record for him on the BC Vital Events site. Vital Event Death Registration Name: Elliot Hansen Event Date: 1939 4 18 (Yr/Mo/Day) Age: 54 Gender: male Event Place: Princeton Reg. Number: 1939-09-556301 B.C. Archives Microfilm Number: B13165 GSU Microfilm Number: 1953625Then on the British Columbia Cemetery Finding Aid site there is a burial [begravede] for:HANSEN, Eliot Oluf Bridge River Valley Gold Bridge CaribooIn both cases the name is HANSEN.I will search some more and see if I can find anything for Bella.The BC Vital Events site have to follow our 'Privacy Laws'. The 1928 Marriage records will be released at the beginning of next year, 2004. So it will be some time before you can get a possible marriage for Peder and Bella on-line. But there may be some information in Elliot's death record, which you could order by post or purchase a digital image on-line.I will let you know if I find anything else that may help you.Mn norsk er ikke god nok å skrive den slags ting. Men jeg kan lese mest som er i Digitalarkivet.Lykke til Adele

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Heidi Økern

Takk til både Hans og Adele. Jeg har noen avisutklipp som gjelder Elliott's død (det stemmer med det Adele fant på Vital Events), og ut fra det vet jeg også at han er begravet i Goldbridge. Til Adele: jeg har noe mer informasjon om Elliott og familien om det er en hjelp for videre leting. Elliott hadde også en sønn som døde under tragiske omstendigheter samme år. Hans datter har barn som jeg har fått kontakt med, men de kan heller ikke huske at de har hørt noe om Peder's kone. Peder kom hjem til Norge i 1950, døde her og er begravet i Lofoten.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Fern Teleglow

Heidi,I am a librarian and we do have the BC birth, marriage & death registrations on microfilm at our library. If you find something you would like a copy of, let me know. I'll be happy to mail it to you. Also, if the brothers died in an accident, the coroners' inquiries are also on the Vital Events database, for a certain time period. You might find something there. I will also have a look.Fern

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Heidi Økern

Fern: do you also have copies of newspapers from about 1939? I'm looking for Peder Hilmar Hansen's marriage with Bella, but I don't know when they married. He wrote that he was married in 1939,- that's all I know.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Fern Teleglow

Hi, the only newspaper we have from that time period is the Kelowna newspaper. I don't think it would cover a wedding in Minto. However, I had a bright idea the other night - we do have the city directories for the whole province. I will look at that when I'm at work and see if I can find Peder & Bella listed in the Minto area. I'll let you know by the weekend!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Heidi Økern

I'm really grateful for your effort, Fern. I asked for the newspapers from 1939, because that seemed to be the year when everything bad happened. Elliott was killed in the mining accident in Copper Mountain in April and his son disappeared when he was at home (he was in the army, I think) on leave the same year (I don't know exactly when). From what I was told, he was on his way to a local shop and never showed up again. The guessed he had fallen in the river, but his body was never found.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Fern Teleglow

Hi Heidi! I looked in the Kelowna newspaper with no success. The name of the paper covering Princeton in 1939 was the Similkameen Star. Similkameen is the name of the valley where Princeton is. The museum there has the newspaper but they're closed in the winter! I will contact the other places that have it to see if they will look, but they may not. If not, next time I'm in Vancouver I can have a look (won't be for a couple of months at least).I did find Peter Hansen in the Minto Mine directory for 1940, but no Bella. I will look in the 1940s to check more. He was listed as a 'compressorman' in the directory.I tried to find Bella in the Vital Events index; found 2 Isabell(a) Hansens but neither one was married to Pete. I also have a list of Bellas who died 1939-1950 which I haven't gone through yet. I suspect Bella may have been a native woman and therefore there may not be much of a record of her. Minto (population 75 in 1940) was a VERY tiny place in the middle of nowhere. It no longer exists. Shalalth is also an Indian name and I have asked for some books on the area to see if there's anything about the Hansens.I did print Elliott's death registration if you want it.I'll let you know what else I find out!Fern

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
Gjest Heidi Økern

Til alle dere som har prøvd å hjelpe meg ang. dette ekteskapet. Jeg har kontaktet gjenlevende slekt i Canada, og de har heller ikke hørt at Peder var gift, så det virker som om han og Bella ikke var gift, men sannsynligvis var samboere. Takk til alle for forgjeves leting.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.