Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#17042] Explanation of Norway regions and places

Gjest Andrew Peterson
 Del

Gjest Andrew Peterson

I was wondering if someone would be so kind as to explain this to me. I am familiar with the US-State-County-City(or Town). My understanding is that for example, Hedmark would be comparable to a US State (not in size but administratively), and Nes would be comparable to a county. I do not understand when I see placenames like Helgoya, Stenrude,and the like. Are the towns, farms? How does the farm system work?TIA,Andrew

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Heidi C. Huitfeldt

I'm not quite sure about this, but I believe it is more correct to compare the 'fylke' Hedmark to a County in american terms.Nes would then be comparable to a township or parish, and Helgerøya or Stensrud to a farm or a spesific place in the township/parish.Heidi

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest N B Macdonald

Hello Andrew,There is no hard and fast rule. The administrative districts cannot be directly compared, historically or otherwise. It does seem that a (small?) majority of Norwegians agree with Heidi H. and equate a fylke with a county. I've never understood why, as it seems to me to be natural to equate fylke with a (US) state. All the fylke are divided into kommuner, and I usually translate kommune as county. Of course, neither the name of the fylke nor the name of the kommune is necessarily part of a mailing address.Today is, by the way, Election Day. Every 4 years Norwegians elect members of parliament, 'congressional representatives' if you will. And every 4 years (staggered by 2 years) we elect local representatives, to the fylke and the kommune levels. Today is a local election.I think you'll find some info in English on farms in 'Useful Links' at the bottom of the main page. Reading about the old naming traditions will tell you a lot about farms.--Nina Beth

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Agnete Schjønsby

I agree that a fylke must be translated as 'county'. Norway is not federal like the US, and we do not have the state level between the county and the central government.Stat (central state)= NorwayFylke (county) = HedmarkKommune (modern adm level; local community): Nes - now Nes has become part of the larger kommune Ringsaker.Prestegjeld (= parish. Older adm level - replaced by the kommune, but kept as church-administrative level): NesSokn/sogn. Sub-parish: Helgøya (varies through times)Gård = Farm: StensrudBruk = part of farm (most farms had more than one farming unit, you can see that in the census - more than one farmer family at the farm.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Andrew Peterson

This is very useful information. Thank you all. My ancestors seem to hail mainly from Nes, Hedmark. I am planning a trip to Norway next summer. It is difficult to find decent detailed paper maps of Norway here, and I haven't found a deatiled map online either. I cannot find Nes on the maps/atlas that I have. I understand the island Helgoya resides inside Norway's largest lake? I can see Liliehammer on the map. How far would Nes be from there, and in what direction? What options for travel to Nes are available from Oslo?TIA,Andrew

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Agnete Schjønsby

Nes may be called Tingnes on the maps (Ting = old norse assembly).Nes church must be the old centre of the parish, and is located excactly by the bridge to Helgøya.Your information about Helgøya is correct - the lake is called Mjøsa (there is only one island of size in this lake). Located South of Lillehammer - on the Eastern side of the lake. I would guess it is a one hour drive from Lillehammer to Nes.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.