Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#17230] Sarah Finn 1900 USA Census - anybody with search access?

Gjest Kjell Varnson
 Del

Gjest Kjell Varnson

Most likely in Minnesota, possibly Michigan. Sarah might be under the name Sally. I do not know her DOB but estimate 1870. Don't know husband's first name either. She should have children from previous marriage with her:Arthur Cohen b. May 16, 1892 MinnEdward Cohen b.? MinnIrene Cohen b.? MinnPeggy (Ida) Finn b. April 21, 1898 MinnNo luck on birth records before 1900 in Minnesota. I'm at a dead end with this phantom. Please help. Much appreciated. Thanks,Kjell

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjell Varnson

I don't know much about Sally Finn, when she died, or where. Maybe she married again and changed her name. I found her daugher Peggy Coblentz (a name my aunt had given me) in 1930 NYC with a son Arnold Elbinger from previous marriage. The father made the Coblentz purse.Then I found this boy 10 Arnold years younger in the 1920 census in Detroit, Michigan. His mother was listed as Ida Elbinger, but she was 10 years younger than Peggy was in 1930 so it must be her. Also Arnold's parents were listed in both as being born in Mich and Minn. Must be here. So if Peggy born Minnesota 1898 and got pregnant with Arnold at age 18 I figure the mother must be nearby.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila N. Christiansen

I think to go to Norway to get info in the US is a long shot, if you don't look for norwegian ancestors. I suggest you use the messageboards and mailing-lists you will find at www.rootsweb.com and see if you get some info there.The 1900 US census is indexed only by head of household, so if your Sally was married, you have to know her hubbys name. Another thing, you should be able to find the childrens deaths in US, maybe in the SSDI, and by that find obits or at least order the Application for SS number.I think this research must be done in US, not here on Digitalarkivet in Norway.Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjell Varnson

Thanks Laila, I will follow up those leads. Not sure what the obits would give me about the mother other than her name. I have access to 1900 census via ancestry.com but it isn't indexed (even by HOH) so I have to know the exact city, ward, township, page etc.. if I want to find somebody. A real PITA. Your being able to index search on HOH puts you way ahead of me. How did you get that? I'm still waiting for 1870 to be indexed. All I have is 1880 indexed, 1900 browse, 1910 HOH, 1920 HOH and 1930 indexed. So there is a big black hole finding non-HOH between 1880 and 1930. A lot of my ancestors are lost in that 50 year hole.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjell Varnson

Laila,Would it be possible for you to search in 1900 census, on last name Finn, in Minnesota's Ramsey and Hennepin Counties? He would have wife Sarah/Sally and at least one child Peggy/Ida age 2. I do not think there will be more than a few Finn's in those counties at that time.Thanks,Kjell

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kathy Bergan Schmidt

There are head of household indexes for 1900 and 1910 available (for a fee, of course) from genealogy.com. The same indexes are available free at many public libraries through their subscriptions to Proquest or Heritage Quest Online. College and university libraries may also give you access to Proquest.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila N: Christiansen

No, it is not possible on the net. You should contact the gen-soc in the actual counties/towns and ask for a soundex-search.You can go yourself to www.genealogy.com and see what such searches will give.It is to much work from here. Laila in Oslo, Norway

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.