Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#17305] Tomsburg/Thomsburg - where is it

Gjest Jeff Erickson
 Del

Gjest Jeff Erickson

Rolf,Thanks I am looking for my great grandfather whose name was Henry Thompson in Australia. His marriage record in Australia shows he came from Tomsburg. He knew people in Vestfold. He was born about 1868. I suspect he changed his name when he arrived in Australia. He was married in South Australia in 1896. Is there a way to find who was born in Tomsberg in 1867/1868. Is it near Horten?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Rolf Erik Sanne

Tonsberg is located about 20 km further down the coast from Horten. The easiest way is to find a helper who has access to the church books for Tonsberg and near district and who can look up Henry's birth. I would expect his name would be Henrik Thommasen or similar. Good luck with your investigations. Regards Rolf

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest mette gjertsen

Do you know were Henry Thompson died? Did he die in Australia also? I found a Henrik Tommasen living in Horten who died in America.He could said he came from Tønsberg even if he lived in Horten (or nearbye). I live in Horten....and I use to say that i live in Tønsberg. I live in the middle between those two cities...so even if i Live in Horten/Borre, it is exactly just as far to Horten City as it is to Tønsberg.Mette

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 måned senere...
Gjest Jeff Erickson

I am making some progress. I found the Naturalisation record for my great grandfather - Henry Thomson today. He arrived in Melbourne Australia from San Francisco in March 1890 on the ship 'Henry Buck' . He was born 25 February 1868 in Tonsberg. Is there anyway to find out if a Henry Thomson was born in Tonsberg on 25 February 1868. (he may have taken the henry from the ship and the Thomson from Tonsberg). If there were no Henry Thomsons born that day, is there a way to find out who was born 25 Feb 1868 in Tonsberg.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest per helge seglsten

In your posting about Henry's marriage record you say that Henry knew people from Vestfold. Is that stated in the marriage record? Do you have the names of these people, or other details. The marriage record doesn't by any chance state his father's name?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jeff Erickson

He supposedly knew Anders Eriksson who married Inger Marie Borresd. She was from Eftang. Anders and Inger moved to Larvik after their marriage in 1879. His first marriage shows his father as Henry and his second marriage shows the father as Christof. He was not marriwd before he came to Australia. He is also supposed to have been at Bergan in Larvik. The peopl e he knew were not stated in the Marriage records. Christian Anton Eriksen (Anders son) was sent to Adelaide to make contact with him in about 1913

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristian Hunskaar

I checked baptisms in Tønsberg 1868/69 today. However, the only person born February 25th 1868, who I was able to find, was a Hans Jacob, son of August Jacobsen and wife Kristiane Hansdatter.I don't believe this is the correct person. To change name from Hans Jacob Augustsen to Henry Thompson seems strange.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jeff Erickson

Thank you Ketil, Kristian and Berit. These dont seem to be him. He was probably a seaman. He said he came to Melbourne Australia via San Francisco on the barque 'Henry Buck' His father's name was either Henry or Cristof. His fanily knew Christian Eriksen's family (father Anders Eriksson) supposedly in Bergan but maybe Larvik

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jeff Erickson

Perhaps there is another answer. In his first marriage in Adelaide in 1896 Henry Thomson stated his father as Henry. I notice in the bygdebook for Bergan Stokke that Ola Andersen (br #1) had a son Henrik b.1847. Can this Henrik be traced. It could be Henry Thomsons father if Thomson is derived form Tonsberg. Where did Henrik b.1847 live? Do we know his children?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Helga Kallevik

Here he is in the 1865 cencus for Norway Lenke. There are also many other with that name in Vestfold county at that censusAnother question: Where do Mette in number 7 here have her information about Henrik Tommesen from? Could it be that this source only have the information that he emigrated to USA, and did not know that he later ended up in Australia, and the belived that he died in USA?Helga Kallevik

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Helga Kallevik

What about this one at Family Search?HENDRIK MARINIUS HENRIKSEN Birth: Christening: 30 AUG 1868 Larvik, Vestfold, Norway Parents: Father: HENDRIK REIERSEN Mother: JOHANNE MARIE HANSDR Helga Kallevik

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Helga Kallevik

Maybe this is the same Henrik Olsen in the 1875 census? Lenke Born in Stokke parish in 1847 the same as the other Henrik Olsen Here he is still unmarried in 1875.Helga Kallevik

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest mette gjertsen

Answer to number 19. I found a Henrik Thommasen at the Holtan farm in Borre. (from Borreboka s. 507). This Henrik was born in 1857. His fathers name were Thommas Christoffersen Figstad (Ofigstad) 1817-1892. And his mother were Helle Andrea Andersdatter Myre from Botne(1824-1893) I also found the same? Henrik at ft 1865 LenkeMette

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.