Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#17517] Vadsø, Finnmark Birth Records

Gjest Mausey Hagen
 Del

Gjest Mausey Hagen

I am looking for the birth record of Efina Tapio. I found her in the 1865 Vadsø census and I think it may be my great grandmother. Her name in the USA was Elizabeth Tapio. On the census she is 4 years old and my great grandmother was born in 1861. If this is the correct person, I would like to verify that Johan Abraham Tapio and Sara Grete Tapio are her parents. Elizabeth named her first-born son Johan Abraham so this might be her father.Does anyone have access to these birth records or could let me know how I might be able to find this information. Thank you.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Oldervoll

When you are searching for her you will see that the number in front of the record is blue, meaning it is a link. Clicking that link you will see the whole family of Efina in the 1865 census. Her father was Johan Abraham and her mother Sara Grethe. You found your great grandmother.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mausey Hagen

Hi Jan,I am sorry that I did not make myself very clear. I do have the information on the whole family of Efina. The problem is I do not know for sure if it is really Elizabeth. I only suspect that it could be her because she would have been 4 years old and her oldest son, my grandfather, his name was Johan Abraham. These are the only two clues that I have that it could be her but I would like to find out for sure it is the same person. My Eizabeth was born 17 Apr 1861 possibly in 'Vesi Saari'. I do not know if this is part of Vadsø or not.Sorry for the confusion.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest per helge seglsten

I would be pretty sure you've found the right one. To be sure Statsarkivet in Tromsø should be able to help you with baptism records and even better, probate records after one or both of her parents. Her place of recidence will be stated in the record, if it exists.As far as I can see both of Efina's parents are still alive in 1900, and by then Efina had emigrated. I've found two possible candidates leaving from Trondheim in 1880 ('Efine Papio) and 1881 (Efina Abrahamsdtr.).[url="http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=EMITROND&variabel=0&postnr=21418&fulle=true&spraak=n>LenkeLenkeHere you'll find Statsarkivet in Tromsø:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mausey Hagen

Thank you for your response and the hope that I have found the right person.I do know that Elizabeth married Peter Pajari (Bajari) in 1881 in Vesi Saari. Peter immigrated to the US in 1890 and he sent for his family one year later. Elizabeth and her 6 childen immigrated in 1891 to Minnesota. The spelling on the emigration is shown as 'Bøiare' which is the pronounciation of the name in Finnish. Her 6 children are all listed. They eventually settled in Sebeka, Minnesota and had a total of 14 children.I am having a problem using the web site in Tromsø. Is there anyone who can help with the birth/christening records and probate records? Thank you.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest per helge seglsten

You wont find the records you are looking for on theweb. You will have to mail Statsarkivet, and ask them to do a lookup. The marriage record will list both Elizabeth's (Efina's) and Peter's parents. The probate records of their parents will (if they exist) give you very intersting information about their background. But to solve your original problem a lookup for the marriage records of Vadsø (Vesi Saari) should do the trick. You can mail Statsarkivet in Tromsø at: statsarkivet.tromso@riksarkivaren.dep.noDo state your snail mail adress as the Statsarkivet in Tromsø for some reason doesn't answer by email. They will probably enclose a copy of the record, which you might have to pay for (3-5 dollars)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mausey Hagen

Thanks for all of your help.I have written to the Statsarkivet in Vadsø. Perhaps this will give me the answers I am searching for.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 4 uker senere...
Gjest Mausey Hagen

Hello,I did receive a reply from Tromsø today and it gave me the information I was looking for. They are very good. I found out my great-grandmother's name was Elizabeth Mathisdatter Tapio.Elizabeth's parents were Miss Brita Johansdatter Kairovuopaja or Karinen and the widower Matthis Johansen Tappio, living in Langfjord. Both were born in Finland. It seems that Brita and Matthis did not marry. Brita still had not married in 1875 according to the census.In the 1865 census from Sør-Varanger Elizabeth was living with her mother, Britha Johannesdatter and her widowed grandmother, Marie Johannesdatter along with others in the family.Is there anywhere I can get information about Mattis and/or Brita's parents.Thanks for the advice on where to write for info. It worked just great.Mausey

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest per helge seglsten

And here's a link to a forum for finnish/kvenish immigrants to northern Norway: http://home.powertech.no/arnelu/?In the query make sure you use the finnish names as well as the 'norwegian' patronyms. If the censuses only states 'Finland' as birth place the finnish names will be crucial to revealing where in Finland your ancestors came from.PS So this means that the Efina Tapio in the 1865 Vadsø census was not the right one? DS

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest per helge seglsten

According to what's in the Hiski database Tapio is a very common name. I haven't been able to find anything on Karinen/Kirovuopaja. There is a Mathis Tapio, born 1836 in Kuolajärvi, Finland, living in Sørvaranger according to the 1865 census. Kuolajärvi is in the Rovaniemi area in northern Finland.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mausey Hagen

Thank you all very much for your ideas on how to continue my search.Per - you are right - Efina in the 1865 Vadsø census was not the correct person. At least I have been able to cancel out that candidate. Now I would like to find out more about her parents now that I know their names. Thanks again.Mausey

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 3 måneder senere...
Gjest Odd Villy Ovesen

Hello MauseyI saw this discussion on Digitalarkivet and the subject interested me a little bit so I have been looking into this matter. This is what I found out:First Generation1. Johan Ylitalo was born about 1800. Johan married Maria Kaisa. Children from this marriage were: + 2 F i. Brita Charlotte Johansdatter was born in 1838 in Finland. + 3 M ii. Johan Erik Johansen Ylitalo or Karinen was born in 1847 in Finland. 4 M iii. Peter Johansen Ylitalo was born on 6 Apr 1851 in Sodankylä, Finland. General Notes: Residence: Sør-Varanger Peter married Kristine Ulrikke Ni??ula, daughter of Petter Ni??ula and Unknown, on 29 Jun 1879 in Vadsø, Finnmark.Second Generation (Children)2. Brita Charlotte Johansdatter was born in 1838 in Finland. General Notes: Emigrated to Sebeka, Minnesota 2 Sep 1903 Brita had a relationship with Mathis Johansen Tapio. Their children were: 5 M i. Mathis August Mathisen was born on 12 Apr 1859 in Sør-Varanger, Finnmark and was christened on 24 Sep 1859 in Vadsø, Finnmark. 6 F ii. Elisabeth Mathisdatter was born on 14 Mar 1861 in Sør-Varanger, Finnmark and was christened on 30 Jun 1861 in Vadsø, Finnmark. Brita next had a relationship with Vilhelm Johansen Kantola. Their children were: + 7 M i. Johan Erik Kantola was born on 25 Jun 1871 in Langfjorddal, Sør-Varanger and was christened on 17 Dec 1871 in Sør-Varanger, Finnmark.3. Johan Erik Johansen Ylitalo or Karinen was born in 1847 in Finland. Johan married Josefine Persdatter Laiti, daughter of Per Laiti and Unknown, on 13 Sep 1868 in Sør-Varanger, Finnmark. Children from this marriage were: 8 F i. Emma Kristina Karinen was born on 11 Mar 1883 in Klostervand, Sør-Varanger, Finnmark and was christened on 24 Jun 1883 in Sør-Varanger, Finnmark. 9 F ii. Erikka Karinen was born on 26 Apr 1885 in Klostervand, Sør-Varanger, Finnmark and was christened on 19 Jul 1885 in Sør-Varanger, Finnmark. 10 M iii. Karl Ludvig Karinen was born on 17 Jun 1887 in Langfjord, Sør-Varanger, Finnmark and was christened on 7 Aug 1887.Third Generation (Grandchildren)7. Johan Erik Kantola was born on 25 Jun 1871 in Langfjorddal, Sør-Varanger and was christened on 17 Dec 1871 in Sør-Varanger, Finnmark. General Notes: Emigrated to Sebeka, Minnesota 17 Dec 1902 Johan married Brita Johanna Hyvölä, daughter of Lars Hyvölä and Unknown, on 8 Oct 1896 in Sør-Varanger, Finnmark. Children from this marriage were: 11 M i. Tobias Henrik Kantola was born on 20 Sep 1897 in Bugøynes, Sør-Varanger and was christened on 22 Aug 1898 in Sør-Varanger, Finnmark. 12 M ii. Erland Hjalmar Kantola was born on 15 Jun 1899 in Bugøynes, Sør-Varanger and was christened on 18 Jul 1899 in Sør-Varanger, Finnmark. 13 F iii. Anna Kantola was born in 1902. This family has been a little bit difficult to trace, because they have been using different surnames (was rather usual in Finland at that time, if they were moving around they took the name of the farm as surname). This family has used Karinen, Kairovuopaja and Ylitalo. As you can see your Elisabeth had a half brother Johan Erik Kantola born in 1871 (father Vilhelm Kantola). In the 1900 census Elisabeth’s mother Brita stayed at Johan Erik’s place:LenkeIn December 1902 Johan Erik went to Sebeka, Minnesota. In September 1903 he was followed by his mother Brita (Elisabeth’s mother too), his wife Brita Johanna and his children Henrik, Erland and Anna.I see that we have a little difference in Elisabeth’s birth date, but it is the same girl, no doubt. To find out more about Johan Ylitalo, you need the birth records from Sodankylä, I don’t think they are to be found on the net, bur you can send a mail to the National Archives of Finland, here is a e-mail address you can use: elina.kukkonen@narc.fi, maybe they can help you.Regards Odd Villy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mausey Hagen

Odd,WOW!! Thanks so much for all this info and for your interest. I have not had a chance to digest it all yet, but I already know that I am going to enjoy it very much.Thanks again.Mausey

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mausey Hagen

Odd,Thanks again! I did some checking on the Minnesota Historical Society web-site www.mnhs.org and may have found the death certificates of John Erick Kantola (died 27 Jun 1952 in Wadena County) and Johanna Kantola (died 7 Nov 1945 in Wadena County). Sebeka is in Wadena County.[url="http://people.mnhs.org/dci/Results.cfm?Referer=Search.cfm>LenkeI also found a Britha Tabio who died 26 Jun 1927 in Wadena County.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 måned senere...
Gjest Mausey Hagen

Odd,I was able to confirm that Brita did indeed live with her son John Kantola in Wadena County, MN in the USA. I show them in the 1910 and 1920 census. Her name on the census was Brita Ylitalo. She died in 1927 and her name on the death certificate was Brita Tapio and states her father's name was Johan Kairovuopaja and mother was Maria. John Kantola was the informant.I found them living on a neighboring farm to Elizabeth and Peter Pajari. So Elizabeth had her mother living right next door! I would never have been able to find this info without your help. THANKS AGAIN.Mausey

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.