Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#17767] Gust Gilbertson b. 1863-4 - Marriage and Emigration record

Gjest Andrew Peterson
 Del

Gjest Andrew Peterson

Hallo,I am looking for information about my ancestor in Norway. His American name is Gust Gilbertson. According to the 1910 census in Winnebago County, Iowa, he is born 1863-4 Norway, married in Norway about 1898 to Mina Arntsdatter. However, he lists emigration as 1892 and she 1901, so maybe he came over first and became US citizen. I would like to know details of his marriage, emigration, and family in Norway. Thanks very much in advance for any information that can be provided.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Andrew Peterson

Ok, apparently Mina came over in 1901 unmarried as an Eriksen (her father's name)LenkeThe 1910 census says they had been married for 12 years, but perhaps is a mistake. That would mean Mina married Gilbertson in the States.Would still like to know Gust Gilbertson's history in Norway though.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tor Andersen

If you look closely at your posting you will see that she already has recidence in America. This might be the same lady leaving the first time. Lenke If this is the case she is from Sweden.If both Arntsdatter and Eriksen is documented names her father is a Arnt Eriksen.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Andrew Peterson

I do not think this is my ancestor. Mina Eriksen was not Swedish and her destination should be Iowa, not Minnesota. She was most definately Norwegian and came from Nes Hedmark. However, she may have moved from Nes to Kristiania about 1892, and 'attested' (does that mean applied for a marriage certificate?) in 1898.She IS the daughter of Arnt Eriksen. He and the rest of the family emigrated in 1902. At that time, two other unmarried daughters, Anna and Helene changed the last name from Arnstdatter to Eriksen, then Erickson in the US. Mina may have come earlier because her sister, Emma Arntsdatter Peterson emigrated to Iowa 1898.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tormod Thoresen

Hi.Could 'your' Mina be that one that left Oslo . -Christiania first time already in sept. 1893?It was a Mina Eriksen , 18 years from Nes in Hedmark that left together with her sister Maren Eriksen , 20 years .They were going to Lowell, Mass.Tormod

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tor Andersen

OK, so now you have revealed a lot of extra info compared to your first posting!What more do you know about Gust? Place of birth? Link to emigration/immigration? Brothers or sisters? Parents? All of this is necessary since neither his first or second name are norwegian.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Andrew Cohen

Tormod,Well, maybe her age would be helpful. Mina was born Nov 1874, Nes Hedmark. She was the oldest of 5 daughters to Arnt Eriksen. I know of no sister named Maren, though Mina's age in 1892 is correct. Perhaps this is a rather common name.I don't know of any place in Mass. she would have gone, unless that is the ship's destination. Mina settled in Iowa and I think it likely she went directly there. Perhaps the key is to find her husband b. late 1883 or early 1864.What is the Norwegian equivalent name of Gust Gilbertson? His father would be a Gilbert 'X'sen? Perhaps finding his emigration in 1896 would lead to his homestead which would in turn lead to his ancestry?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Trude Stinessen

His Norwegian name might have been Gustaf/Gustav Gudbrandsen/Gulbrandsen.Gilbert Xsen is probably Gulbrand Christensen/Kristensen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Andrew Cohen

Tor,Thank you. Yes that is exactly what I'm looking for.Gust Gilbertson lists his emigration date as 1896. Beklager, I know nothing else of his family in Norway.Would he not emigrate under the Gilbertsen, and then change to Gilbertson in the USA?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tormod Thoresen

I think that Gust could be Gulbrand , or Gabriell in Norway , if the people came from the south or west part of Norway many of them got the name Gabriel. I got a cousin to my grandfather his name was Gulbrand in Norway in the states he was named Gust but usually the named themself as Gilbert or Gust.So I think that Trude is right with the name of his father: Gulbrand or Gudbrand Christensen or so.Tormod

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Andrew Peterson

Tor,Mange takk for the cemetery link! No I did not have that but it is very useful. And yes, that is Mina's family in 1900.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Geir Eide

Here is a Gustav Gilberts. 18 ys. leaving Kristiania in 1882. Anyway, I don`t think Gilberts.- is his norwegian familyname. He is travelling together with his brother Anton 15 ys.Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Andrew Peterson

Geir,Thank you. This is a very good match.The age is right, and if I am to presume that Jova Falls is Iowa Falls, IA, then the location is also a very close match to where he settled with Mina.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Andrew Peterson

Ok, now I have found him in a later census document and its lists Gust emigrating in 1901 with Mina and the oldest boy named Nickalaus? who was born about 1900.So maybe this will help. He must have answered differently on the two censuses, one time giving his initial visit and then another time giving his final one?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Geir Eide

I think Tor is rigth. After having a look at the 1865 and 1875 Ullensaker censuses, it seems also obvious that Anton Gilberts 15 ys is not a brother of Gustav Gilberts.However, you need a marriagerecord for Gust Gilberts or a probate after his father or mother, to state for sure this is your Gust Gilberts.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Geir Eide

Reply to no 20: Well done, Tor! My last reply was adressed to your reply no. 18.I found another -Anton Guldbrandsen- b. 1866 in Ullensaker .He had a sister Gusta b. 1863 that confused me a lot. For a while I thougth this 1882 emigrant Gustav Gilbert was a female. Anyway, the rest of my reply no.21 is still in force.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Andrew Peterson

I am missing the connection here. How do we know that this Gustav Edevardsen is my ancestor given the information provided?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tor Andersen

His father was Edvard Gudgrandsen. At that time people started to use their fathers family name as their own instead of the patronym. Thus Gustav could be Gustav Gudbrandsen. This can easily be tranformed to the american variant.But I agree with Geir some extra lnks need to be found.Can you find Anthon in the neighbourhood of Gust?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.