Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#17799] Ed Johnson b. 1873 - Emigrant 1892

Gjest Andrew Cohen
 Del

Gjest Andrew Cohen

What is the Norwegian equivalent of Ed? Is it Edvard, Even, or something else?My ancestor is Ed Johnson. He may have been Evan/Even but is known as Ed in the USA.He is born late 1873 or early 1874. Census lists his year of emigration as 1892. I do not know where in Norway he came from, and he may have travelled alone or with family.In 1900, he is found in Winnebago Co., IowaAttached link is a possibility if I translate the name correctly:LenkeI would like to know his family and homestead in Norway, if possible.TIA,Andrew

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Peter Wiborg

Hi, I would say that Ed must be short for Edvard.But I'm not sure if you found the right one. Ellis Island have a record of one Ed Johnson, age 19 from Norway, who arrived with the ship Aurania on July 18th, 1892, departure from Liverpool. LenkeHis departure from Norway must have been around July 3rd.Jan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Andrew Cohen

Yes, so this last link seems to closely match times from the departure in Oslo to the Ellis Island registry a few weeks later.Mange takk, I did not know that Johnsen was a Norweigian name, I assumed Johnson in the USA was Johansen in Norway.Still learning.........

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Peter Wiborg

Well, Johnsen means 'son of John', while Johansen means 'son of Johan'.Both John and Johan are common norwegian first-names... :-)Jan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Andrew Cohen

Is this the same man leaving earlier in the year?[url="http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=emikra1&variabel=0&postnr=124541&fulle=true&spraak=e>LenkeIf so, then he is 19 on Jan 7 than he must be born 1872 and is too old to be my ancestor. My ancestor born late 1873 or early 1874. Compare to this same man, same age, from same place who sailed in July.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Andrew Cohen

New information!These are Ed Johnson's parents:His father: Johan Ingebredtsen Born 1839 in Nes HedHis mother: Lise Andersdatter Born 1846 in Nes HedHere they are in 1900 telling:LenkeGiven this new information, can anyone find:1. The parents in 1865, 1875 census2. Ed Johnson in 1875 census (conflict in the US censuses, three say born 1873-4, one says born 1876)3. The ancestry of the parents, i.e. 1801 census or other information.4. The emigration record for Ed Johnson (Edvard Johansen?)Mange takk,Andrew

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Peter Wiborg

Comment to #6.It's the same man, and same emigration date, July 1st, 1892!! :-)In norwegian we say the date as Day-Month-Year... :-)Jan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Andrew Cohen

Jan,Ed Johnson's grandson, who is my second cousin, emailed me that info last night. He still lives in Winnebago County, IA. But that is all he knows. I had over 20 Norwegian ancestors settle there bewteen 1898-1902.Laila,Yes, the 1900 census in Newton. This info show Ed's age as 2 years younger and emigration date as two years earlier than in 1910, 1920 and 1930.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Peter Wiborg

Laila, are you able to interpret Eds destination in the manifest? LenkeHe looks to be travelling with this man on line above (#321), mr P.C. Bjerken (?). I have not found his departure from Oslo/Christiania..., maybe he went by a different ship to Hull/Liverpool?Jan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Andrew Cohen

Some additional information that may be of use.Obit lists Ed Johnson as having a sister named Albertine who married a Peterson. Don't know if they were married in Norway or the States.Also that he came to the USA at age 18 in 1892 to be with an Uncle Sveen living near Leland, Iowa.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Andrew Cohen

Jan,That destination reads Minnesota. Though not far from Winnebago, I think Ed would have said 'Iowa' or 'Leland, Iowa', as he was going to his Uncle Sveen.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila N. Christiansen

Andrew, you need to find some sure information in the states to determine Eds birthday!... His death-cert. maybe?In the 1900 census it says May 1876.Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Andrew Cohen

Laila,OK he is listed as 1873-1952 and living 78y 1m 23d.So if he died in 1952 and was born in 1873, then must be born in Dec 1873 and died Jan 1952. Does that work?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Andrew Cohen

Additional Information coming in....Ed Johnson was born on November 22, 1873 and died on January 14, 1952. My cousin is sure about his date of death. He has no official document concerning his birth, and the date has been calculated by counting backwards from his length of life.He also tells me the name he has is either Evan Johansen or Even Johansen. It is difficult to read the document.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Andrew Cohen

This must be him, no?LenkeEven though the age is 19, that have may have been calculated from year of birth (1892 minus 1873). Ed Johnson would have been 18 in Jun 1982, as is stated in the obit.I could not find any Even Johansen. This guy seems to fit and his name WAS Ed in the USA.Comments?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Since Ed was naturalized in 1900, you should be able to get all the details regarding his immigration, his parents and his birthdate.I would also trust the 1900 census, with his birth-month (may) more than the later censuses, with just an age last birthday... you never know who gave the information.I think you should do more research in the US first...Where and when did he die? might give his birthdate) Did he marry? (gives his fathers name maybe Nat.papers (immigration details, birth place and date)Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Andrew Cohen

Laila,Normally I would agree that the closer the information is provided to the event, the more likely it is to be accurate. However, in this case, I disagree. The family information provided by his grandson is corroborated by the 1910, 1920 and 1930 census. Additionally, if the 1900 census is correct, then Ed emigrated in 1890, by himself at age 14. Highly unlikely.As far as those early naturalization documents, they normally only provide the name, country of origin, and the disavowing of allegiance to the person's native country. I've never seen a pre-1900 document that provided anything more.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Andrew Cohen

Laila,Ed's DOB was provided in response (19). His parents were both born in Nes Hed, provided in response (7). It seems likely that Ed would also have been born in Nes Hed, given his parents were still there in 1900.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Andrew Cohen

Jan,Could this be our man?LenkeThe year of birth is 1874, but maybe that was calculated based on his age in 1875, which wound be 1 year, since he was born at the end of 1873.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Andrew.First (#7) you say that Ed's parents wereHis father: Johan Ingebredtsen Born 1839 in Nes HedHis mother: Lise Andersdatter Born 1846 in Nes Hed Then you come up with (#24) Johan Hansen and Mathea Larsdatter... His date of birth is calculated from his length of life, not from a confirmed official source. those calculations usually give wrong date of birth.You should, as said, do some more work in the states... to get his papers from his naturalization would give you lots of important information!Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.