Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#17864] Serine (Sarah) Margaret Swenson, b. 18.Sep.1857

Gjest Alice Alderman
 Del

Gjest Alice Alderman

Serine emigrated with her parents Svend and Martha Amundsdatter Hansen and siblings (six including Serine)in 1867. Svend was from Levanger, moved to Beistad. Serine married Hans Rasmussen Eggen, b.6.Mar.1849. They lived in La Crosse, Wis. She was supposedly related to my grandmother Ida Larsen who was born in Avalanche, Wis. to Hans and Anna (Hansen) Larsen. Hans was born in 1834, and emigrated in 1857, the same year he married. I would like to find where he and Anna originated in Norway, and the Serine connection is all I have so far. Ida was wife of Tobias Mortenson, son of the Morten subject of my earlier inquriy. Thanks again for that help. Alice Rudrud Alderman.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Alice Rudrud Alderman

I have found Serine in the 1865 census (PNR 597) at Beistad, 5th child, in that family. The parents Hans and Martha had moved there from Gausdal sometime before their third child was born (first two were twins apparently.) None of the persons mentioned in my request no. 17864 are living. My grandfather, Tobias Mortensen, was born in Gausdal, so the relationship was perhaps through him to Serine's family. I am still hoping to find information on the origins of his wife's parents: Hans and Anna (Hansen)Larsen. His wife, Ida Larsen, lived 1866-1935.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
Gjest Alice Rudrud Alderman

National Archives pension records for Hans Larsen (he served in the Union Army, 1864-1865)show him also with name: Hans Larsen Galterud, and that his mother's name was Goro Hansdatter. The Galtrud (Galterud) name connects him to the Coon Prairie (Westby, Wis.)church book, and finally I have been able to determine that he was born in Gausdal. So my record is building on Hans and his wife: Anne Hansdatter. Does anyone know where he might have lived in Gausdal? I think Anna may have been from Gausdal, as well, and they may have emigrated together, since they married the same year he emigrated, 1857. Thanks for space and hope this is of interest and Anna's common name may yet be made distinctive by finding her roots as well. Don't yet know the connection to Serine's family. More later. Alice.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Alice Alderman

Hi Berit: And mange tak for the marriage date of my great grandparents. In my request, I copied the name of Hans' mother incorrectly from the Archives records, so it needs to be known that his mother's name was Goro Larsen (not Goro Hansen). There is an LDS Reading Room in their church here in Madison, and if Fam search IGI, is from LDS, I have used it once -- and found many church records on my grandfather Tobias Mortenson's family there. My husband is in assisted care facility, near the church, but I have not had time to go back. I do appreciate your help with the marriage date. The Westby Historical Society has been researching the area's Civil War veterans, and I will be passing information on Hans to them as well, and to my many cousins. Thank you so much. Alice.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Berit Knudsen

Churhrecord Gausdal: Married 8.April 1857 Gausdal batch. Hans Larsen, born Galterud in Øier, 20 y., father Lars Hansen and girl Anne Hansdt. Pighaug, 27 y., father Hans Halvorsen.Churchrecord Øier: Born 21.Feb.- bapt. 1.March Hans. Parents Lars Hansen and Goro Johannesdatter, Galterud, Inderster. Witnesses: Ola Johannesen and Ingeborg Gudbrandsd. Blihovde, Ola Eriksen Broebakken, Rachel Østensd. Houg, Johan Johannesen Vasrud.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Alice Alderman

Hi Berit: Thanks again for additional information. Hans and Anna had six children: Lewis, Hans, Gustav, Ida, Anna, and John. None married or had children, except Ida (m. Tobias Mortenson, their children: Agatha (my mother, m. Hjalmar Rudrud), Martin (WWI veteran, never maried), Ruby (m.Carl Holt), Inga (m.Ray Johnson), Sam (m.Hilda Christianson), Theodore, (m.Amanda Olson),Linda (m.Willard Hoilien), and Harold (m.Manda Stendahlen). Hans was in Civil War, 17th Regiment Wisconsin Infantry, Company F); Anna died July 14, 1878; he remarried a widow Anna Johnson, Dec. 22, 1888; he died Nov. 28, 1902. Coon Prairie church book, gives July 6, 1894 as his death date, but I think that must have been his son Hans. 2nd wife got a widow's pension; but doesn't appear that Hans applications for pension were ever granted. He participated in Sherman's march to the sea; and suffered from epilepsy, brought on by war service, but government would never assign a connection from what I have read in the massive file they sent me on his case, and that of his widow. Life was hard in those days.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Alice Alderman

Berit: I forgot my mother's sister Sanna, she married Melvin Eric Rudrud; Melvin was first cousin to my father. Their kids: Norman, Alvin and Eunice were kind of my 'double' cousins. Alice

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.