Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#17870] Ole Fostervold, birthplace clarification

Gjest Nancy (Fostervold) Halvorson
 Del

Just received Ole Fostervold's United States naturalization papers today. He declared he was born in 1881 at Osmarken, Kristiansund, Norway. I always thought he was born on the Fostervoll farm located on Fostervollen, Tingvoll, that is where he grew up. Are those two locations basically the same? What church would he have been baptised and confirmed in? Would it be Ore Kirke? Thanks, Nancy (Fostervold) Halvorson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Lars Steinar Hansen

Yes, I'm quite sure those two locations are the same. You'll find that Osmarka was in Tingvoll municipality in the 1865 census. In 1900 it was in Øre municipality.My guess is that he declared Kristiansund because that was the nearest town.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per B. Lilje

I assume he is the Ole Fostervold (from Osmarken, born 1881) who in 1900 was a student at Leren boarding school (a high school run by the inner mission). See Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Peter Wiborg

Hi, 'Ole Fastervold', 26y from Ore, Norway, arrived on Ellis Island on June 11th, 1907.He arrived with the ship 'Oscar II', sailing from Kristiania, Akershus, Norway on May 31st.Destination reads Minneapolis, Minnesota. He was going to a friend 'Ingebrigt Thorsen' in Minn. Birthplace for Ole reads 'Øre, Romsdals Amt'.Jan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

All who responded, yes that is my Ole. Per, do you know any more about the Leren boarding school, is it still in existance? Would they have group photos of the students of the school, anywhere in Norway? I have a photo of Ole with a group of young men, which I believe could be a class photo, would like identify the others in the photo. What exactly is the inner mission? Was the school a regular school or only a religious school (the teachings of Hans Nielsen Hauge)? I know that his brother, Peder and Ole were editors of a religious newspaper of some sort both in Norway and in the United States.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per B. Lilje

Leren Ungdomsskole is a school that still exists today, although in a somewhat different place and with a different name. It is today called 'Fredly Folkehøyskole' and is situated in Børsa 30km from Trondheim, where it moved in 1969. It was founded by the Trondheim district of the Norwegian Lutheran Inner Mission Society in 1898 and was situated on Leira (Leren) manor on the outskirts of Trondheim until 1902. It is a so called 'folk high school'. This is about 'folk high school' from ecyclopedia.com:type of adult education that in its most widely known form originated in Denmark in the middle of the 19th cent. The idea as originally conceived by Bishop Nikolai Grundtvig was to stimulate the intellectual life of young adults (generally from 18 to 25 years of age) of rural Denmark, to foster patriotism and strengthen religious conviction, and to provide agricultural and vocational training. The first school, established in Schleswig (1844), was moved across the Danish border after Schleswig passed to Prussia. The movement then gained momentum, and numerous schools were established, with national history and literature emphasized in the curriculum. The folk high schools had a great influence on the civic life of rural Denmark and helped to improve the condition of the small farmer whose products were marketed through cooperative societies. The folk school idea spread throughout Europe with local adaptations, but by the early 20th cent. the movement had abated. In the United States notable experiments in this type of adult education were instituted at Rome, Ga., and at Brasstown, N.C., where the John C. Campbell Folk School was founded (1925). Most attempts to found folk high schools in the United States, however, have been unsuccessful.In Norway the folk high school movement is still flourishing, and divided in two movements, the Christian folk high school movement to which Fredly belongs and the secular fok high school movement. Both have bording schools giving a one year course for youth, usually in between high school and college age, which is not giving any official qualification but which is supposed to make you a more mature person. I guess you can find more about Norwegian folk high schools (folkehøyskoler) on the internet.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torgeir Kvalvaag

Osmarka is the area where we find farms like Fostervollen, Sandnes and Øie/Oie. It is on the border between Nordmøre and Romsdal. In the old days, at least, this was an 'important' line in the tribal dispute between the 'fogderiene' Nordmøre, Romsdal and Sunnmøre. But this 'fogderistrid' can still be observed.Till 1965 Osmarka was part of Øre municipality. Today it belongs to Gjemnes.Ole was most likely baptized in Øre Kirke. But this has to be connfirmed by anyone with access to the church books (of Tingvoll.)Torgeir Kvalvaag

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thanks Per and Torgeir,I will try to look on the internet about the school, maybe they a an archive of records somewhere. Where do they keep the church records for the Ore Kirke? Is the church still open so records would be there or would they be in the state archives. There is probably a bounty of information on my family there. My great grandparents were Fostervold and Sandnes. Is there a website in Norway just listing the churches on Romsdal? I think the border bountries is what is messing me up. I know Ole couldn't have been born at more than one place. One relative over here in the US says one thing and another says something else, they are probably both right, depending on the year. Nancy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torgeir Kvalvaag

By this link you'll at least see photos fram Øre kirke and Osmarka: http://www.kvalvik.no/gjemnes/main.aspThe church records I think can only be found at Statsarkivet, either in Trondheim or in Oslo. And there might also be private copies around.Regards. Torgeir Kvalvaag (born only a few miles from Øre kirke and Osmarka.)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.