Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#17871] Oline Marie Knutsdtr. Fostervold 'Kings Medal of Honor'

Gjest Nancy (Fostervold) Halvorson
 Del

My grandpa Ole Fostervold's sister received the medal of honor in 1933 for her work in the Finnesmission in northern Norway. Is there any documentation available on that, anywhere? I would like to add this to our family history. Where might Oline have been buried? Oline also adopted an orphan girl, her name was Laila, is there any way I can find out more about her, did she get married and have a family? Thanks, Nancy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torgeir Kvalvaag

On page 565 in Nils Tore Leivdals 'Gards- og ætesoge for Gjemnes/1 there is a picture of Oline Fostervoll with a small girl. The text doesn't say anything about the girl, so it is hard to say who it is. But obviously this picture belongs to somebody, and someone belonging to the family should be able to tell more.According to Leivdal Oline (Olina Maria) was a 'diakonisse.' It means she was a nurse educated at Diakonissehuset in Oslo. [url="http://www.oslodsh.no/Om_skolen/>http://www.oslodsh.no/Om_skolen/ http://www.kirken.no/english/As for Kongens fortjenestemedalje you can find more about it through this link:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Torgeir, Oline sent that very photo to my grandpa Ole. She worte on the back, Eldbjorg, little one of Knut and Bertine Fostervoll, you could make a not of that in your book. I'm lucky Oline did sent photos and postcards to Ole, a few have survived over the years. I do have one photo with her and Laila. Haven't been able to find more out about her. Could there be a variation on the spelling of Laila in Norway?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per B. Lilje

This is the description of HM The King´s Medal of Merit: Instituted by King Haakon VII on 1 February 1908. Awarded for services in the fields of the arts, science and business and for distinguished public service. The medal is in silver or in gold. The obverse bears the portrait of the reigning King with his name and motto. The reverse bears a laurel wreath containing the engraved name of the recipient and the circumscription: 'HM The King´s Medal of Merit'. Awarded in silver for a lengthy period of especially meritorious service in public office or voluntary organizations or other socially beneficial activities, also for a distinguished personal contribution in private or public service, where the person concerned has made an active contribution at or outside the place of work, in general for not less than 40 years. May also be awarded to a member of the community whose life´s work can be an example to others. Awarded in gold in exceptional cases in recognition of a life´s work of national significance, as well as for pioneer endeavours in one or several areas of benefit to the nation, also in recognition of enduring work in the field of the arts, culture and science, and for social and humanitarian work of value to the community and of national significance, as well as for conspicuous merit in contributing in one or several areas of notable public significance, or for having contributed to progress of benefit to the community. The medal is worn on the left side of the breast on a ribbon in the same colours as the Norwegian banner, red with a yellow stripe in the centre. Applications for awards are addressed to HM The King and submitted through the Governor of the respective county.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Derek Murphy

Nancy, As promised I went to the National Archives in Oslo in September to look for details of the silver medal awarded to Oline. I failed to find the reference because I was under the impression that the medal was awarded in 1928 and not in 1933. So my search was in vain. There is no separate index for the individual medal awards and you have to go through the court files to find the relevant reference. In addition to the notes sent by P.H.Linje the reverse of the medal has the date inscribed under the name of the person receiving the award and gives an indication as to where to make the search. I have also located the Samemission archives, but I have not gone any further as I just didn't hear from you. Derek

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Derek, I'm back at the research after switching to grandma's family over the summer. I have a file with your name on it! Just checked my records and it was in 1933 she received the Medal. I have it that Oline died March 11, 1954, do they have obituaries in the papers over in Norway for that time? That may tell something about it. I would like to know where she lived and where she was buried. It may be she is buried Northern Norway. There is a bede hus near the Fostervold farm, where alot of the family's buried, don't believe she's there. Nancy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torgeir Kvalvaag

Maybe you should make contact with Norsk Samemisjon: (formerly Norsk innemisjonsselskap i.a.)http://www.samemisjonen.no/organisasjon/index.phpI would think that they know something about one member of their staff that received Kongens fortjenestemedalje. This honour is after all not that widespread.Regards form Torgeir Kvalvaag

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thanks for the address. I wrote to them, hopefully they will have some record of Oline they can dig up. Ole thought very highly of his sister, very dedicated to her work and the people she was helping. Ole told my dad Leif about her and the work she did. How I wish I had listened better to the stories my dad told me, maybe I wouldn't have all these questions now.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 måned senere...

Torgeir, I got a reply back!! Now more questions to be answered.1. received education as a nurse in Lovisenberg - is that somewhere by Olso?2. was a church nusre in the Nesseby community - where is that?3. was a manager on the nursing home Leirpollen in Austertana - is it still in existence?4. in this article I was sent, it says she received the Royal King merit medal in 1930 because of her work among the Sami people. I still haven't found anything on this award, where can I write for more information?5. after she died, it says from the Leirpollen nursing home she was bured at Birkestrand churchyard...Where is this church?? Any answers would be great!!Nancy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torgeir Kvalvaag

1. Lovisenberg is a hospital and school for nurses. It is closely connected to the Church. Link: [url="http://www.lds.no/modules/module_123/templates/publisher_template_detail_1.asp?strParams=4%233%23%2D1%231%231%231%231%231%231&iCategoryId=169&iInfoId=1786&iMenuId=>Lenke2. Nesseby is in Finnmark.Link: http://www.finnmark.net/nesseby/3. I have no idea regarding the nursing home of Leirpollen. See two links (one of them in German!): Lenke Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Torgeir, Thank you for this additional information. I did find #1 earlier, so was right on that one. The others I will just have to study a bit more (and translate!) Most of these names are new to me and will try to find on my map, so I will understand where she was a bit better.Have a Blessed and Merry Christmas, Nancy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.