Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#17924] Legmandsteidende and Indremissionsvennen Newspapers

Gjest Nancy (Fostervold) Halvorson
 Del

(Fostervold) Were these both published in Norway? Ole apparently distributed the Legmandsteidende in Trondheim. Ole and Peder's obituaries state they were editors of the Indremissionsvennen. What do the words translate to English? Would there be archives of these anywhere in Norway? Thanks, Nancy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per B. Lilje

A quick internet search did not show any of these, but both have names which sound typical for the Lutheran 'low church' inner mission movement.The first should proably be spelled 'Legmandstidende', meaning 'Lay man's journal', and the second 'Indremissionsvennen' means 'The friend of the inner mission'.The whole Lutheran low church movement (both that which is part of the Church of Norway and that which is outside) to which the inner misison at least partially belongs, was started by Hans Nielsen Hauge (1771-1824) around the beginning of the 19th century, mainly as a protest against the law 'konventikkelplakaten' of January 13, 1741, which prohibited other than university/seminary-educated clergymen to preach the gospel in congregations (it was valid law until 1842). Preaching by layman preachers is a very important element in the inner mission movememnt.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Peter Wiborg

Nancy, have you found any relationship to these persons? [url="http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f01503.wc2&variabel=0&postnr=9752&fulle=true&spraak=e>Lenke Kristiansund is in the same county as Øre.Kaare Fostervold (born 1891) was a very famous 'public' person in Norway.His professsions included Director of the national broadcasting corporation (NRK), member of the Norw. parlament, Minister of Church and Education, writer, social democrat, principal at a Latin school etc etc... :-)He is at the left here:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest per helge seglsten

The complete volumes of both papers should be able to retreive at the national library in Oslo. If you are not looking at any particular volume, I guess you could order photocopies in various qualities of the papers so you can see how they looked like, or get a photographed front page to hang on your living room wall. Here's the web addressto the library's english front page: Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Jan, This Kaare (born 1891) was a first cousin to Ole and Peder, so my 1st cousin twice removed. What would the minister of church and education have done? I have found pages about him on the net, written in Norwegian, so still need to translate them. That really slows me down!! Per, what you wrote sounds right to me, as Peder was a traveling evangelist (very dedicated,he would preach in the old Norwegian language, newcomers enjoyed listening to him) and Ole is listed in a book I have as a layman. From what I've read in articles here in the US they were both gifted writers, with many hidden talents. It would be nice to read some of what they wrote, but where can I find anything? My family had some papers, but newspapers are usually thrown to the garbage, so hard to find.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Knut Bryn

I found a reference to a magazine called 'Lægmandstidende'. It was published in Trondheim 1904-1911, and the publishers were Peder and Ole Fostervold! So they were not only distributors, but editors and publishers I suppose. Some copies are kept in the Gunnerus Library at University of Trondheim. Unfortunately I suspect that they didn't write much of their stuff in English.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Knut Bryn

A little correction to my former notice. 'Lægmandstidende' must have been published from 1902. The copies from 1906 are marked 5. aargang, means fifth (annual) volume. In 1907 this periodical was printed once a week. The Gunnerus Library has got 40 of these editions from 1907 and an unknown number of editions from 1906, ans 1908-1911.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Knut, Where did you find that information? I'm amazed you could find anything, I've looked and nothing seemed right to me. What would the correct email for the library be? I'm hoping I could purchase a sampling of photos copies of their writings from library. It seems they must have started writing this paper after finishing school and it ended when Peder came to America in 1911. Ole came in 1907. Peder did publish some books in the US, both in Norwegian and English, which I do have copies of.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I found out that the Indremissionsvennen was published in America from 1924 to 1964. St. Olaf College in Minnesota has copies in their library archives. They are written in Norwegian. From what I understand Ole took over being the editor (for 16 years) after his brother Peder died.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Knut Bryn

If you want to have a photocopy of 'Lægmandstidende', - one complete issue for instance, I am sure you will have that from Gunnerus-biblioteket. Their web address is: LenkeIf you write a kind letter to them, I'm sure they will pick out an issue with articles written by your ancestor and perhaps somewhat else which can tell something more about these brothers or the magazine itself.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Knut Bryn

Just some more precise details about Ole's work for 'Lægmandstidende'. This information was found in a bibliography about old Norwegian periodicals:'Lægmandstidene': At first called 'Duens Oljeblad. Trøndelagens Lægmandsforenings Blad'. First edition in 1902. Changed name to 'Lægmandstidene' in 1904. Editors:1902-Jan.1904: P.N.Løberg and John Slørdal.Jan.1904-Sep.1906: Ola Tandvik.Sep.1906-Mar.1910: Ole and Peder FostervoldMar.1910-1911: Peder Fostervold.In thread 18034 we see that Ole was travelling for 'Vestlandske Indremisjonsforbund' for a while after he finished his study at Framnes. Now we see that this fits well with the information about 'Lægmandtidende'. Ole didn't start his job there before summer 1906. The first issue with Ole and Peder as editors was published 8th September 1906.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Knut, Thanks for the additional information. Ole did come to America on June 11, 1907, so Peder must have actually been the sole editor for the last years, unitl he came to America in Augist 4, 1911. When in America they started up the Indremissionsvennen. I think that was published from, 1911 to about 1955 (both Ole and Peder were had died by then). St. Olaf college has pretty much all the copies except 20 from 1940. That was when Peder died, so I suppose they weren't wirtten until Ole took over. Peder Also wrote 4 books. I have 2 of them, fortunate to have them. He was writing another book 'The Hauge Movement in America', he died before it was finished. Someone did finish it for him and dedicated it to his memory. Found good information about his last days there. Thanks again Knut, Nancy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Helga Kallevik

Hello Nancy!Me and my family still get the paper 'Indremisjonsvennen'. It belongs to what we call 'Hardanger, Sunnhordland and Voss indremisjonssamskipnad'. This is today an organisation under what I earlier mentioned as 'Det Vestlandske indremisjonsforbund'. But 'Hardanger, Sunhordland and Voss indremisjonssamskipnad' was founded in the 1870's, and became an underorganistion to 'Det Vestlandske indremisjonsforbund' in 1898 when that new organisation was founded. This 'Hardanger, Sunnhordland and Voss indremisjonssamskipnad' was, and is still located to the area Sunnhordland (southern part of Hordaland county), Hardanger and Voss (Hordaland county). Framnes school is owned by this under-organisation of 'Det vestlandske indremisjonsforbund'. I have a jubileebook for that organisation's 100 years jubilee. 'Det Vestlandske indremisjonsforbund' is not the same as what we today call 'Indremisjonen. But the connection to Hans Nielsen Hauge and Lekmansmisjonen is the same, I think.Helga K.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Helga Kallevik

I have to correct somthing that I wrote earlier. 'Sunnhordland Hardanger and Voss Indremisionsamskipnad' was founded in 1864. Both this organization and 'Det Vestlandske Indremisionsforbund' and also what is metioned in number 7 here:'The Norwegian Lutheran Inner Mission Society' (or Normisjon), is often by people mentioned as 'Indremisjonen' or you can say 'home mission'.But:'The Norwegian Lutheran Inner Mission Society' (now Normisjon) and 'Det Vestlandske Indremisionsforbund' is not the same organization. The first one, I think, is in the whole Norway and has its 'main-office' located in Oslo. The second one you will mostly find in Western part of Norway and in Finnmark. The 'Main-office' is at 'Bildoy Bible school' at Sotra outside Bergen.Helga Kallevik

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.