Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#18064] Marta Clausdtr frå Voss = Martha Nelson, Illinois 1880?

Gjest Aase R Sæther
 Del

Gjest Aase R Sæther

Eg har brukt helga på ein familie frå Voss, og sit att med ein del lause trådar.Marta Clausdtr Grimastad, f. ca 1835 reiste til USA i 1856, her [url="http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=EMIVOSS&variabel=0&postnr=2714&fulle=true&spraak=n>Lenke Eg har funne vigsla deira på film og ser at det er rett person. Far hennar var reist allereie i 1840 med sin nye familie, og takka vere merknadsfeltet er eg sikker på at eg har funne han i folketellinga 1850 Lenke, og vidare i 1880 Lenke.Eg finn det rimeleg at Marta har reist til same stat, og finn ein svært god kandidat her

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Aase R Sæther

Berre for å ha gjeve dette spørsmålet ei avslutning, for dei som eventuelt sit og les gamle trådar seinare: Marta viste seg å vere omtala i ei bok om utvandrarar frå Voss, og der er det bekrefta at 'dei to' i overskrifta er same person. Boka har også ein del opplysningar om borna hennar, så eg trur nok eg skal greie å kome vidare.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

I will look at the pre-1916 fiche index tomorrow; using her age it should be possible to find her and Neil; might then need to order lds film, Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Aase R Sæther

Hello, Roger! By means of the Voss emigrant book, and 'off list' help from Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen, I have quite some information now. This is from the book: The family moved from Woodstock to Chicago, and Nels died there in 1906. Five children; Betsy, married Fitzgerald, lived in Chicago (children Edward, George, Lucy, Margy, Betty), Amelia, died, Julia, married Sam Lekwa (children Spencer and Stella), lived in Chicago, Martin, also in Chicago, and Alma, married 'Poppeloram', lived in Zion, Ill.(Patricia also found a son Albert in the 1870 census, missing in 1880 - I guess he must have died between -70 and -80 since he is not in the Voss book).So, maybe you could find at least some of these people in 1900 or later? But of course, Chicago is a big city..

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kathy Bergan Schmidt

Well, it seems that Alma was the mother of my father's friend Philip Populorum. In 1920, the family of Paul A. Populorum rented a home at 2502 Elisha Avenue in Zion, Illinois. Paul A., 47, born in Illinois of French parents, Alma, 44, born in Illinois of Norwegian parents. Their children were Francis, 23, Philip A., 19, and Atha?e, daughter, 15. Father's occupation given as commerical ??, office supply.Even with my paid subscription, I could not access the 1930 images on Ancestry.com today, but Populorums can still be found in Lake County. I believe Philip married Myrtle Jacobson, and the SSDI gives her death as March 1967. The Waukegan News Sun should have an obituary. There is a family tree online at Ancestry.com that may be of help. It is on the free section.The SSDI says Frank Populorum died 1 March 1995 in Palatine, Illinois. There is probably an obiturary for him in The Daily Herald newspaper. Perhaps Roger knows if those obits would be available online? The newspapers are on microfilm at the local libraries of Waukegan and Arlington Heights.The last name of Julia's husband Sam looks suspicious to me. I haven't tried searching for it, but 'Lewka' could be misspelled, as Populorum was.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Aase R Sæther

Thank you very much, you have been of great help! About Julia's husband: Lekwa (not Lewka) is a Norwegian farm name, and I just learned that there is a Lekwa Family book! I ordered it today, and hope to be lucky..

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Try asking the local public libraries to do lookups..find them via google or any search engine; many will do this for out of area requests,,and Norway qualifies for that! ( a few may ask a small fee ). I saw the same Paul P. today and just decided to order his film; so in a few weeks we will have some info via that method; there are some Pop's in Lake County- Antioch is one; you could call/write Keith P. What is known about Martha? I found one who died May 6, 1901, Chicago, in USA 45 years; was 65 years, 6 months, 3 days. housewife living at 790 N Campbell Ave, buried Mt Olive. I ordered film of the 2 76 year old Nels who passed in 1906, one in March, the other in Nov. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Aase R Sæther

Roger, if you go 45 years back from 1901, you will come to 1856, which is the immigration year of Martha Grimastad. And if you go 65 years, 6 months and 3 days back from May 6.,1901, you will come to Nov 3.,1835, which is the very birthdate of Martha Grimastad.. Too much of a coincidence!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

If given a email address i will send her cert; you might try writing Mt. Olive (in Chicago) for further info about who may share the 'plot'; Paul's obit is available from the Highland Park PL for a 5 dollar fee, according to a web site i found via google; Alma did not turn up; if living in 1932 she may have moved out of this area, of course. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kathy Bergan Schmidt

I finally was able to access the 1930 images and found Paul and Alma living at 2803 Eschol Avenue in Zion. However, her name is given as Elanor. Maybe this name difference is why Roger isn't finding her.The oldest son is a dentist living in Waukegan (next town down Sheridan Road, about 5-6 miles from Zion, and the county seat). In 1920 he was ? Francis, 1930 he is Paul F., in the SSDI he is Frank Populorum of Palatine.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.