Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#18245] Hillman

Gjest Carol Foss
 Del

Gjest Carol Foss

I have a great-grandfather named Halvor Hillman, born 9-22-1868, whose father was Engebrecht Hillman from Valders, Norway. Where is Valders Norway? I believe they came to USA about 1875. They may have changed their name, but Hilman or Hillman is the only name I know.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila Kornstad

Valders, or Valdres as it is written now, is the south-eastern part of Oppland 'fylke'.(Norway is divided into 19 'fylker'. Each 'fylke' is divided into smaller 'kommuner'.)Valdres consists of 6 'kommuner': Nord-Aurdal, Sør-Aurdal, Etnedal, Østre Slidre, Vestre Slidre, Vang.In the Mormon database I found that a boy called Halvor Engebretsen was christened in Ulnes in Nord-Aurdal 08 Nov 1868. His parents were Engebret Olsen and Astri Halvorsdatter. I don't know if this is the right boy, but it could be.I found Engebret Olsen and Astrid Halvorsdatter with two children in the 1865-census on the farm Velingerne in Ulsnes in Nord-Aurdal.Here is the link: LenkeAs said before, I don't know if this right boy, but perhaps some people who are working with that area could confirm or deny this.With kind regards, Laila Kornstad.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ketil Harbek

In Nordre (Northern) Aurdal (today: Nord-Aurdal) parish there are a couple of farms named Hilmen Lenke (here from the 1865 census). That seemes likely to be changed to Hillman. Nord-Aurdal is in the region of Valdres (Valders), and is about 150 km to the NNW of Oslo. Valdres is the name of one of the main valleys in the south eastern part of Norway.At one of the Hilmen farms you will find one Ole Engebrets(en), who may be a relative to your Engebrecht Hillman - but I am not sure in what way. It should be possible to find out more about those persons though.Unfortunately the records from Nord-Aurdal are not in the 1875 census here. If they were, it migth be possible to find Halvor (b. 1868) there with his parents.Probably some other persons in this forum may help you to find emigration information. I am not good at that.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ketil Harbek

I did not se what Laila wrote when I wrote, but I think she is right. My link did not work - I try once more: LenkeThe farm number of Velingerne is 129 - the numbers of the two Hilmen farms are 128 and 130, so I think Velingerne must be close to Hilmen.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per B. Lilje

There is a Halvor Engebretsen, 21 years old, not married, worker, who emigrated from Oslo on March 29, 1889 with destination Kindred. See Lenke. However, his place of living is listed as Hemsedal which is some distance from Nord-Aurdal, but not that far.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 måneder senere...
Gjest Carol Foss

I thank the persons who originally answered my questions concerning the location of Valders. Now, I need to know what I need to do to send for a copy of a birth certificate of Halvor Hillman( Engbebretsen)born March 1889? Also, what is the cost for the information?Thank you, Have a good day.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest M. Grasto

I just want to add that there also was a farm called 'Valders/Valdres' i Skjeberg, Østfold. I doubt that is what you are looking for, but anyway, now you know...M. Grasto

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.