Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#18291] Oresogn, Kristiansund - Peder Fostervold

Gjest Nancy (Fostervold) Halvorson
 Del

Hi again, I have another question. Just received another obituary for Peder Fostervold, it says that Peder was born at 'Oresogn', Kristiansund, Norway. I know that Ore is a word I have seen before in my searching. But, I thought he would have been born at Osmarka, so, is Oresogn pretty much the same? What does the sogn after ore mean? Other obits say he was born at Nordmore, is that just the general area where Osmarka and Ore are located?Spelling - Torvikbught or Torvikbukt in the late 1800's to early 1900's, correct spelling.Thanks!!! Nancy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torgeir Kvalvaag

Øre sogn - at the 1900 Census Øre was a municipality on its own merits. Their church with its vicar/priest (whatever you call a Lutheran clergy) was no longer under the auspicies of his collegue in Tingvoll. Osmarka is part of this Øre sogn.In 1965 Øre was merged by governmental decreee with two surrounding communities (Tingvoll Sørland and Gjemnes) to a new municipality called Gjemnes. But 'Øre sogn' is still the same with its own church and vicar/priest. And Osmarka is still a part of this 'sogn' or perhaps you would call a parish.In the same way Torvika - Tor's Bay - has always been and still is inside the Øre sogn/parish. The place has the same name as the oldest farm - Torvik - which is also the family name of a relatively large part of the inhabitants of the community.To distinguish this Torvik from other Torviks (!), the national road authorities renamed Torvik in Øre 'Torvikbukt,' a joke really as 'vik' and 'bukt' means the same. So now it is 'Tor's baybay' in English...Locally it's of course still Torvik or Torvika.Via this link you'll be able to get a look at Torvika (or Torvikbukta)and the beautiful area of Nordmøre from different angles. If you look hard enough you'll also find Osmarka and Fosterlågen:http://www.kvalvik.no/gjemnes/index.htmlAll the best from Torgeir Kvalvaag

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Torgeir, Thanks for the explanation. So far, I have found 6 different obituaries for Peder and each one has him from different place names. But, I guess they are all basically the same place. I think this would be correct, Osmarka, Ore Parish, Kristiansund, More og Romsadal, does that sound right to you. I do know he was born on the Fostervoll farm located by Foster Lagen.I know from the census that it was listed as Tingvoll, but the farm book that the farm is listed in is Gjemnes, I think that's where I'm getting confused. Thanks again, Nancy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torgeir Kvalvaag

'Kristiansund' doesn't really fit in. It was just 'the' town in the area. Only reason to include it, is if it's the port where Peder and others registered and embarked for emigration.Did you find the pictures from Osmarka?Best wishes from Torgeir

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Torgeir, I did find 2 nice pictures of Ore Kirke, which I'm sure is the church they used, I haven't checked church records as of yet. I do plan on doing that, it would be nice to know about the baptisms, confirmations, etc. Nancy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torgeir Kvalvaag

Regarding Øre kirke (or kyrkje) make sure not to get it mixed up with Gjemnes (or Høgset)kirke. I really hope you also have found all the beautiful pictures from Osmarka.Best wishes from Torgeir

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.