Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#18629] Birthplace of Carl Ludwig Lund: 'Bardo?'

Gjest Michael J. Lund
 Del

Gjest Michael J. Lund

On another link here on the Digitalarkivet:LenkeI unexpectedly opened discussion on the birthplace of my great-grandfather, Carl Ludwig Lund. I thought it best to open a separate topic, as this is certainly a matter of interest to me.Carl Ludwig Lund was born 30 December 1868. According to family tradition (not always a reliable source) he was born in a place in Norway called 'Bardo.' I have been unable to locate a place with exactly this name, although I believe I have read of a place in Canada that was supposedly named 'Bardo' in honor of its Norwegian counterpart. I have assumed that 'Bardo' is an anglicized version of 'Bodø'. On the link I mention above, Berit Knudsen mentions that there is a 'Bardu' in Troms.Does anyone know whether there is a 'Bardo' in Norway (or, if there isn't, is there a place whose name can't be pronounced by dumb North Americans and was therefore later renamed by us? (o: ) Does anyone know of a family who might be a likely candidate for the family of my Carl Lund?According to our records, Carl's father was named Paul Lund. There is a Paul Elvik Lund buried near Bridgeport, Wisconsin, who I think may be the same man. I know that Carl had a sister, but I do not know her name.Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Mike

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jon Harald Haug

Bardo is an old-fashioned spelling of Bardu (look for instance in the 1865 census above). The name is unusual, and there are definitely no counterparts in other parts of Norway, except that there is a place called Barbu near the town of Arendal in the southern end of Norway.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Hans-Petter Falao

I have found Carl Ludvig christened in Vardø in 1869. Carl Ludvig born 30 Dec 1868 in Vardø, christened 2 Apr 1869 Vardø. uegte. Artillerist ungk Paul Elvig Lund and pige Eva Larssen. 'Begges 2det leiermaal. De ere efter Andragende blivne nægtede Giftetilladelse av Bataillonschefen i Trondhjem.'

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Michael J. Lund

Mona, Jon, Sigbjørn, Bjørn, Berit, and Hans-Petter --COWABUNGA! Thank all of you for your input! This truly is a major breakthrough -- it overturns a family tradition I have heard throughout my life!I think, however, that the matches cannot be coincidence. It would be a miracle if these are not my relatives:- The birthdate of the Carl Ludvig Lund born in Vardø is exactly according to our records. - The information you show is the first concrete link we have between the Paul Elvig Lund buried in Wisconsin and our Carl Lund. The birthdate of this Paul Elvig Lund is also right on. - This family did in fact emigrate to Wisconsin. - The Trondheim connection explains an uncaptioned and undated photograph in our possession from the 1800s that was taken in Trondhjem. I now theorize that the photo is a wedding picture of Paul and Eva Lund, if not one of their relatives. I also notice from the census that a large concentation of Lunds did live in Sør-Trondelag, and particularly in Trondheim.This information is absolutely invaluable. For the first time, we now have the names of Carl's mother and sisters, and we know their first home in the United States (Marinette, Wisconsin)! And we know that Carl was not born in Troms, but in Finnmark! It is not hard to imagine 'Vardø' being changed to 'Bardo' in the oral family tradition.Thank you all so very much!o What do you suppose it means, in Berit's link to the 1875 census above( Lenke)that Carl has two birthplaces listed (Vardø and Røraas) and that they are each followed with the '%' symbol?o Hans-Petter, what is the source of your information? I assume it is a church book from the area around Vardø. Which church? Perhaps I can find a way to get a microfilmed copy of these records.I have several further questions. Before I ask, though, I need to do some homework in my Norwegian dictionary . . . .Till soon! Mike

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tor Rustad

Mike;Congratulation to you and all those who did help you to trace your paternal line in Norway!I do agree; now there's a breakthrough, it MUST BE the right family!I'm so happy on your behalf and for being so curious by asking 'what Lund' in topic 18489 where it all started.Happy Christmas!tor

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per Harald Jonson

Hi!The 'Vardø %Røraas% ' in the FT1875 means that Røraas has been corrected in the source by someone to Vardø.mvh Per Harald

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnstein Rønning

My small contribution: LenkeAnd if you look at Eva, you will find in FamilySearch (VIR): Eva Larsdatter born 27.03.1833 Røros, christened 28.04. Parents Lars Jonsen and Karen Johannesdtr. They may be Lars Johnsen Tørres(vold?) born 1796 married to Karen Johannesdtr Skanche b 21.8.1801 Røros, dead 19. May 1867 Røros.If this is right, you will be able to find much more on Skanche and Tørresvold!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnstein Rønning

I see that you are in GRAN on another branch of your family. I just want to tell that you will find Elvig(en) as farms in Ringerike (postal address Norderhov) 10 km from Gran, and you will also find a farm Lund in Vestre GRAN.I have seen that Paul Elling/Elvig was born in Trondheim, but who knows about his father... (Paul and Elling seems to be common names in the Norderhov area).But of course, Lund is a very common name in Trøndelag (I too have Lund among my ancestors in Trøndelag).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Hans-Petter Falao

I did find it in the church book for Vardø. At that time it was only one church there. As I had the date he was born it was an easy matter to find him.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Berit Knudsen

Hei Michael.I am so happy for you, and it makes me feel good too.This was realy fun. It was like playing ball and not knowing to whom you are sending it. You just hit the ball and it goes through the air and someone else hits it again, and so on... until it hits the goal. Nice teamwork everybody.Merry Christmas to you and your family.Berit.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Michael J. Lund

Tor and Berit --Yes, thank you very much for helping to get this ball bouncing!Per Harald --Thank you for the explanation!Hans-Petter --Excellent! I am going to order microfilmed copies of the Vardø church books. Whenever possible, I try get pictures of the original document. Do you know whether the christening information for Carl Ludvig was in Band 5 (1861 -- 1870) or Band 2 (1862 -- 1871)?Also, I have searched my Norwegian dictionary for clues to the English translation of the Norwegian text you provide, but I have not been very successful. I believe it describes the reason why Paul and Eva were in Vardø at the time of Carl's birth. I surmise that Paul was in the military? Would it be convenient for you to translate this section into English? I'm sorry -- I wish I had better command of the Norwegian language.(By the way, I am fluent in German, in case anyone has German documents they need help with. I would love to return the favors that you all have lavished on me! My e-mail address is wonderlunds@juno.com.)Arnstein --This information you provide could be a treasure chest! I will definitely do some digging in Røros, Skanche, and Tørresvold.I do have some additional information on the parentage of Paul Lund. His death certificate contains the following information, among other things:o Date of birth: 14 November 1846 o Occuption: Farmer (Quite a career change!) o Name of father: Karl Lund o Name of mother: Hendrika ElverudThe mother's surname is badly handwritten -- it may be even be Elmered, for all I know. El****d. )o:< Are there any places around Trondheim that start with 'El' and end in 'd'? Is anyone able to use this birth date to look in the Trondheim christening records and see whether any more information is there?I notice on one of the links provided above by Berit that there was a 'Henrikke Lund' that accompanied Eva and Inga to Wisconsin. Henrikke was 12 years older than Eva -- she would have been born around 1822 and would have been old enough to be Paul's mother. This is a possibility that I will explore.Are 'Elling' and 'Elvig' interchangeable names? Is it possible that 'Elling' was a misprint, or could it be that Paul actually used both names?We have quite a few threads here -- I may break this topic up into several subtopics.Thank you again, everyone! Christmas is getting happier every day! (o: Mike

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnstein Rønning

The only Elverud in the 1865 census is at GRAN and Jevnaker (same area) (+ Modum in Buskerud). I think you should consentrate on GRAN. No Elverud in Trøndelag (nearest is Molde).'Norsk stedsfortegnelse':Rakkestad: both Elverud and LundNes (Akershus): both Elverud and LundRøyken: both Elverud and LundSigdal: both Elverud and LundMolde: both Elverud and Lund

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per Harald Jonson

hi!I'll try some semi-word-by-word direct translation:uegte = outside of marrige, meaning: born without parents being marriedArtillerist = a soldier in the artilery (gunner?)ungk = batchelorpige = girl, used for unmarried women'Begges 2det leiermaal = boths 2nd illeg.childDe ere efter Andragende blivne nægtede Giftetilladelse av Bataillonschefen i Trondhjem.They have after application been refused a marrigepermission by the Batalioncommander in Trondhjem.Hope this helps...mvh Per Harald

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Hans-Petter Falao

I was looking in the MINI 4 (1862-1871), but I suppose you will find the same information in KLOK 2. The 'KLOK' series may be considered as a copy. Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnstein Rønning

Elling and Elvig is not interchangeable. Elling is a persons first name. Elvig is a name of a place/farm. In Trøndelag the meaning may be 'the bay with all the 'older/or' (a trea - I do not know what it is called in English)'. South in Norway (Gran) it may mean 'the windy bay'. My personal view is that it also may be 'the bay where Elling lives'.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnstein Rønning

FamilySearch (VRI):Poul Elvig b 14. Nov 1846. Bapt 06. des 1846 Trondheim. Parents: Carl Andreas Lund and Inger Henrike Pedersdatter.Carl Andreas Pedersen Lund b 08. Jan 1824 Trondheim, bapt 15. Feb 1824. Parents: Peder Lund and Karen Jørgensdatter.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jon Harald Haug

23: The tree or/older (Alnus) is called alder in English. Arnstein: Why is the name Elvik supposed to mean different things in different parts of Norway?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.