Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#18643] Gunder Olson Emberland -born 1857-Sveio??

Gjest Nancy (Fostervold) Halvorson
 Del

Gjest Nancy Fostervold Halvorson

Helga, The link you sent for Elias Olsen Okland, from what I understand (in talking last night to another relative in Willmar), is that Elias is a half brother to my Gunder Emberland. The family here said Elias used Okland instead of Emberland for his surname.Relative in Willmar also told me that my Ole Emberland was an uncle to Raynard. So that makes sense that Ole and Elias were half brothers (same father different mother). Willmar relative also told me that Elias was Ingeborgs father. Does that make sense?My head gets spinning with this side of the family! Note - the computer that I had the information in crashed, so I'm having to retype everything in. Not good!Nancy F.H.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Helga Kallevik

Hello Nancy!Yes, this make some of sense, I have the farmbook for Emberland and Aasbu (Sveio nr. 2), but not for Okland (Valestrand). But at Emberland I find that Gunnar Olson born 1857 to Ola Paulson Fagerland and his 3rd wife Borghild Johannesdatter Kinn born 1823, (She was a sister of my gr.gr. grandmother Johanne).Elias was Gunnars brother, they had the same father and mother (not half brothers!). Elias was born 1848 and got married to Okland farm. This must be the reason why he used Okland as second name.If that Ole Emberland you mention here is the youngest brother of Gunnar and Elias, named Ole Andreas born 1863, he will be a first cousin to Ingeborg.mvh Helga Kallevik

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Helga Kallevik

I am sorry this was wrong.Gunnar Olson Emberland b.1857 and Ole Andreas Olson Emberland b.1863 were uncles of Ingeborg. If this Ole you mentioned was a son of Gunnar, he must then be the first cousin of Ingeborg and not uncle of Reynard.I am also looking for Ingeborg's husband. I can not find either Ole Johan or his brother at Emberland farm in Sveio (in the farmbook). Were they born in USA? Who were their parents? mhv Helga Kallevik

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Fossum

Hi Helga and Nancy. Ole Johan and Haaken (Henry) Severin parents are Johannes Olsen and Randi Svensdatter from Økland. Ole Johan born Feb. 10, 1879, birth/christning record [url="http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=7067&idx_id=7067&uid=ny&idx_side=-50>LenkeHaaken (Henry in US) Severin born Jan. 30, 1874. His birth/christning record

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Helga, I guess you're correct that they were full brothers.Roger, thanks for the links for the births of Ole and Haakon (Henry). I would never have found them. It's interesting how they used Emberland in the US. I can't seem to track down Henry in the US, I wonder if he went back to Norway?I think I'll have to order a few more birth & death cert from the Minnesota Historical Society.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I think I have it straight. Ole Johan Emberland (born on Okland) son of Johannes Oleson Emberland. Ole married Ingeborg Okland daughter of Elias (Emberland) Okland. Both Johannes and Elias were the sons of Ole Paulson Fagerland that lived on Emberland....making Ole Johan and Ingeborg 1st cousins...does this sound correct to you?I also found that Johannes (died Dec. 20, 1914 Kandiyohi county, Minnesota) was married to Randi (died Sept 3, 1900 in either MN or Iowa) and had 4 children Ole Johan married to Ingeborg Okland, Haakon (Henry Severin married to Hannah), Sena married to Lawrence Hanson and possibly a daughter Hannah that married a Tjernagel here in the US.Nancy F.H.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Forgot to add that Johannes and Elias were brothers to my grandpa Ole Gunder Emberland married to Caroline Carlsdotter Rod (also from Sveio). Nancy F.H.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Fossum

That's correct. Ole Johan and Ingeborg were 1st cousins. Johannes Olsen married Randi Svensdatter on June 22, 1872 in Valestrand. #5 LenkeRoger

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Roger,Thank you for the additional links! I appreciate you sending them, I might never have found them.I was looking at your website tonight under the listing where it shows all the Emberlands. I have a question about LARS Emberland's parents HANS & ELI. How does Hans fit into the family? Is Hans related to any of my relatives? I can't figure out a connection.I just spoke to two different desendants of his tonight (living in Texas and Virginia). One of them is working a bit on the history but knows nothing of the information from Norway.A group of USA Emberlands are going to Norway in June!Nancy F.H.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Helga Kallevik

Hello!About marriage between 1st cousins (36). Ole Johan and Ingeborg wasn' t the only one in Embrland family at that time...Kari Olsdatter Emberland born 1859 to Ole Paulson Fagerland Emberland and Borghild Johannesdatter also married her 1st cousine Johannes Mathiasson Kallevik/Kallevig born 1849. Johannes was a son of Johanne Johannesdatter Kinn and Mathias Jacobson Kallevik. Johanne and Borghild were sisters. Johannes and Kari also ended up in Kandiyohi, Minnesota. Johannes was a brother of my great grandfather. I have a 'funny' letter written by him about 1900 in Minnesota to family and friends in Norway. Here he tells how he and his family lives in Minnesota. Sincerely Helga Kallevik

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Helga Kallevik

Hello again!I now see that I have mentioned all this before. This debate started some years ago, and I forgot to read the information on the top before I wrote my last entry. I am sorry.Helga

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 4 uker senere...
Gjest Helga Kallevik

Hello Nancy!As I were looking through some old letters from my great grandfather's brothers in Willmar Minnesota, I also found a part of (2 pages) a letter from 1895. It is written to a Karine in Norway from 'your Gunder' (no second name). It looks like it is from her husband, because it talks about the children (not by name) and he is sending them money. It was sent from a bank in Northwood, Iowa. He sais he is sitting in the bank writing the letter. He also sais his addres is Ole Elgeraas in Willmar Minnesota, as before, Ole would send him the letters. (I think this means that he is working in Iowa for a short time).Other people are mentioned in the letter. One of them are Elias (no second name).He sais that,if Elias is at home, he can help her excange the money he sends. He is also talking about a Lars Tjernagel (in Norway), and another person named Johan Baasnes. He is also talking about buing tings in Haugesund.I think this must be people from Sveio area, and the name Karine and Gunder looks like it could be your great grandparents. I will try to translate the letter and send it to you by E-mail. sincerely Helga Kallevik

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Helga Kallevik

Hello Nancy!If you look at number 14 above there are no children born to Karine and Gunder from 1892 to 1898. Could it be that Gunder was in America for some years at that time? Then the letter i mentioned could be written by him. Karine and Gunder got two more children in 1898 and 1900. He is also in the Norwegian Census in 1900, so he must have been back in Norway then.Helga Kallevik

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.