Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#19039] Hans Mundahl born December 1818, Sognefjord, married Karie

Gjest Dick Norland
 Del

Gjest Dick Norland

I am looking for information on Hans Mundahl who was born December 25, 1818. He married a Karie. Karie was born April 1, 1823. They had a son Johann Hanson Mundahl born November 18, 1846. They emigrated to America. We think that they came from the Sognefjord. Can anyone tell me more about where they may have come from and who Hans and Karie's parents are? Tusen takk.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Terje Sande
Gjest Knut Bryn

Hans Mundal was from Balestrand parish. His surname tells that he was born or lived at Mundal farm in Fjærland. This wonderful place where the ancestors of Walter Mondale also lived. You will find a drawing from Mundal at this URL: LenkeI will add that you may find Mundal on a Norway map if you find Sognefjorden, the longest fjord of Norway. Balestrand is found in the middle of Sognefjorden and Fjærland with Mundal is at the head of Fjærlandsfjorden stretching northwards from Balestrand.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Dick Norland

Thank you for the excellent informaiton. Am I correct to assume that they went to the church at Balestrand? Was Kari Andersdatter from a farm by the Mundahl farm? Do you know anything more about her parents? What bygdabok would they be listed in?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Knut Bryn

1. You ask if they went to church at Balestrand. Today there is a church in Fjærland. It is built in 1861, but I suppose there was a church there before that. So I would think that Hans was baptized in Fjærland/Mundal. The wedding may have been in Fjærland too, but it may depend on Kari's origin. A study of the 1847 church book (microfilmed) will perhaps tell which church was used.2. Kari may have been from a farm in Mundal, but before you find her parents and the church records for her baptizing it is hard to say. You say that she was born April 1, 1823. How do you know? In (the transcription of) the church records for the wedding she is said to have been born in 1824. Well, this is not quite waterproof. I will add that a Kari Andersdatter was baptized in this parish April 26, 1825. Her father was Anders Amundsen from Eitorn farm a little East of Hella just where Fjærlandsfjorden runs into Sognefjorden. Her mother was Ingrid Nilsdatter, but the church book records don't tell too much about her.3. There is a bygdebook for Balestrand with Fjærland. It is just called 'Balestrand' and Fjærland is included in Vol. 1. The chapter about Fjærland is originally written by Jon Laberg.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Dick Norland

The birthdate for Carie was obtained from an obituary. That infromation is not always accurate, but it is a good starting point. What town is the Mundahl gaard near? Did Hans Mundahl and Karie Andersdatter have other children? Do you know when Hans Mundahl, Karie Mundahl and their son Johannes Hanson Mundahl emigrated? Is there a good internet site to access Sognefjord information on genealogy?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Dick Norland

When did Hans Olson Skreen and Karie Friksdatter get married? What are their parent's names? Does anyone have any idea on when they were born? Does anyone have any records of Karie Andersdatter's parents and family? Mange takk.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Knut Bryn

1. What town is the Mundahl gaard near? That depends on what you mean with 'town'. In the middle of 19th century Mundal was the most densely populated area in Fjærland. There were only abt. 130 individuals there in 1865 though, and nearly all of them were living a farm life. At Tjugum and Balestrand (Balholm) you would find something more like a town, not because of their size, but here was an inn and one or a few small stores. Here also the vicar and the bailif lived, and a few craftsmen.On the southern side of the fjord, - at Vik, there was a larger village, but when the people in this area wanted to go to a larger town, they went to Bergen, - once the largest town of Norway.2. Hans Mundal got his papers for the emigration from the vicar at April 20th, 1849. His address was Mundalskreen, the property where he was born in 1818. The people in his group was: Kari Andersdatter (date of birth not recorded), Johannes Hansen (born Nov. 18th, 1846), Kari Hansdatter (born Dec. 11th, 1847), Marta Hansdatter (born Aug. 18th, 1825), Peder Hansen (born May 5th, 1829). Marta and Peder may have been siblings of Hans, but that have to beverified.3. Of course you are advised to use the databases found in Digitalarkivet at: [url="http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/wc/webcens.exe?slag=meny&kategori=4&emne=1&fylke=14&spraak=e&pensjonatet=digitalpensjonatet\sognfjord.htm&metanr=1390>Lenke but with some training you will find even more at Fylkesarkivet for Sogn og Fjordane (The County Archive): http://www.sffarkiv.no/sffeng.htmPerhaps it is a good idea to be a member of the Fjord Heritag Club:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnstein Rønning

FamilySearch: Hans Olsen Mundalsskreda f ca 1776 Balestrand, married to Kari Friksdatter born ca 1782 Langsteig, Balestrand dead 1869. Parents: Frik Jensen and Turid Johannesdotter.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnstein Rønning

There are more on internett, but I absolutely do not know if this is right!!Tor Rasmussen Mundal dead 1730 MundalsskredaOla Torson Mundal married 1741 to Mari HansdatterHans Olsen MundalLenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnstein Rønning

Langsteig should be LANGTEIG, I think, and you will find more on FamilySearch (Mundal and Langteig). But of course; you can not be sure that this is right!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ottar Solberg

I will complete the informations of A. Rønning:Hans Olson Skreen and Kari Friksdtr. Langeteig got married 1814, April 12.LenkeBefore 1849 Balestrand and Fjærland was a part of Leikanger parish, from 1849 Fjærland was a part of Balestrand parish and today Fjærland is a part of Sogndal parish.From the 'bygdebok' Balestrand Bygd og Ætter written by Jon Laberg:Hans Olson was called Skreda (Skreen) when he got married , but Laberg can not find him born in Balestrand, so we can not prove that Ola Torson Mundal was his father. Hans was born ab. 1776 and got married 1804 with Brita Olsdtr. Lidal. They had 4 children, but she lost her life when she got the last one. Hans married Kari Friksdtr. Langeteig and they got 6 children. Hans d. 1865 and Kari d. 1869.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Dick Norland

The information given has been great. Tusen takk. Can anyone tell me when Frik Jenson and Turid Johannesdatter were born and when did they die? What gaard did they live at, Langteig? When was Ola Torson Mundal and Mari Hansdatter born and when did they die?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ottar Solberg

Frik Jenson was born 1747 and died in Dec. 1825. He bought a part of the farm Langeteig in 1773, married Turid Johannesdtr. Rinde same year. She was born 1747, christ. Nov. 10.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pål W. Martinussen

Frik Jonson was the son of Jon Olson, Teigen (Knurren) who came to Langeteig 1728 and married Marta/Marita Jørgensdatter Langeteig in 1729. Jon died 1765. 5 known children, Synneva, Jørgen, Ola, Frik and Alis. Marta/Marita died 1771.Marta or Marita was daugther of Jørgen Knutson, b. ca 1670, d.1750 and wife Brita Fredriksdatter (Friksdatter) Langeteig, d. 1750. (Marta`s sister Anna was my g.g.g.g.g.grandmother).Brita was daughter of Fredrik/Frik who turned over his farm to Jørgen Knutson at 1690. Hi got the farm about 1660.This is what I have found so far in Bygdebok for Balestrand.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Dick Norland

Pal and Ottar, Thank you for the great information. Do either of you know anything about Turid Johannesdatter's parents? Names? Birth and Deaths?Do you know who Jorgen Knutson's parents were? Names? Births? Deaths? Where is Teigen? What does Knurren mean? Do you have birth and death years for Marta and her brothers and sisters? What was Marta's sister Brita's husband's name? Where did they live?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnstein Rønning

'Knurren' was the 'nick-name' of the farm 'Teigen' in Mundal. 'Knurr' is a fish that sticks/pricks (Lat: Triglidae). This may be the nick-name of a man that is not easy to handle/cope with! Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pål W. Martinussen

Knurren was the old name of Teigen, used until ca 1850. Jon Olson was son of Ola Antonusson, b. ca 1655. Place of b. unknown also year of death. 7 known children: Antonus, Jon, Knut, Ingrid, Kari, Turid and Brita. I have no info about Rinde, that farm is not in the book.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pål W. Martinussen

The book don`t tell where Jørgen Knutson came from. He was the user of part 7 of Langeteig farm from 1699. He had 4 known children, Anna the older, Marita, Anna the younger and Ingeborg. Ingeborg died before her parents. Anna t.o. was married at the farm Rud, and 'my' Anna was married to Mikkjel Johannesson, b. 1705 at Eiken, d. 1770. Married 1730. Anna d. 1764. They took over as user of the farm Anna`s father used. 6 known children: Johannes, Jørgen, Ingeborg, Brita, Kari the older, Kari the younger ('My' Kari).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Dick Norland

Thank you for the good help. Can you find the parent's names, birth date, death date, marriage date, farm name of Turid Johannesdatter? The Rinde that you have talked of might be the Rinde by the Feios Kirke, near Vik along the Sognefjord. What do you think?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pål W. Martinussen

A farm Rinde is located close to Feios church, but a farm Rinde (in older maps, Rindane in newer maps) is also located near Hyllestad church. Hyllestad is on north side of the mouth of the Sognefjord (on mainland). I don`t know if I am able to help you further as I am living in the North of Norway, a long distance from Bergen where the original records for this area are located.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pål W. Martinussen

Have just searched the records here at Digitalarkivet. Found a Thuri Johannisdatter babtised at Nov. 10th, 1747. Only fathers name was given: Johannis, living at Rinde. Parish-ID given as 1419 which means main parish of Leikanger. Feios and the nearby Rinde belonged to Leikanger main parish at that time as also Knurren/Teigen did.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest N B Macdonald

Feios with Rinde was part of Leikanger kommune until quite recently. It is now part of Vik (mentioned in no. 8 above).Until Feios got their road (with tunnel) to Vik in about 1976, the only way to get there from anywhere was by boat. The bank came by boat on Mondays. The doctor every other Wednesday, which thus was a very social day in the only store, Bui.In 1975-76, Fedje skule (the only school) in Feios had some 40 pupils, first through seventh grades. Older pupils took the boat every morning to the Jr.High on the north side of the fjord.--nbm

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.