Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#19084] Kristine Brækken, frå Trondheim til USA 1896 - og så?

Gjest Aase R Sæther
 Del

Gjest Aase R Sæther

Femten år gamle Kristine Brækken frå Trondheim stig i land på Ellis Island herLenkeHo var dotter til Pernille og Paul Brækken i Trondheim; Paul er gift på nytt før 1900, og eg tippar Pernille må vere død før Kristine reiste. Ho hadde ein bror Peter Olaus, f.1872 i Ørskog, men han finn eg ikkje att etter ft.1891.Reisemålet er Chicago - har ein veldig flaks kan ho kanskje vere å finne der i 1900?Ho hadde både ei tante og ein onkel i USA på den tida, men ingen av dei i Chicago, og eg har ikkje funne nokon i etterslekta etter dei som har høyrt om henne.Nokon som har lyst å prøve ein liten leiteaksjon?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Some info from ...Cook marr lic 305393; Charles T. Eartmann marries Christina Bracken on March 10, 1900. he 30, she 20. Pastor Torgersen often spells 'his' way! ...so this is likely her; the records are at ELCA so i have asked Joel for a lu. ..the 1946 Charles(IL deaths) and the 1930 census Charles in Cook are the same person, but a different guy, was single and 7 years older. Did not find them in the 1910 or 1927 city books. ..hopefully someone will find them in the 1900 or 1910 census... Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Aase R Sæther

Roger - this name, Eartmann, seems to me to be a bit strange.If we suggest he was a German, which would be likely from the -mann ending, and translate Earth back to German we will get Erdmann or Erdman, a more common name in the Illinois Deaths.And if we take Charles back to German, we get Carl. I found a few Carl Erdman(n) in the Ill. Deaths - could you maybe take a look at them?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Yes, i can; but first, a correction and a new theory...the census was 1920 (not 1930). ..and a closer look reveals that the age is wrong, but maybe HE(!) fibbed about his age; living in a boarding house, working as a seaman, MARRIED (his IL death cert said single), and born NOR to NOR's! ..so far his obit has not been found, but only looked at the Trib online..hmm--so i've got to try the cemetery-perhaps they have something--he is not in a potter's field. ..and the ELCA lu should reveal his birthplace-so i will hold until more info arrives; might ask Laura A. to look in the Daily News; and if i get to a library with 'hertiage quest' (whatever marketing names) --the one with the hoh person index(1900/1910 US census)--perhaps...can be Eatman/Ertman and everything from Bartman(n) to Zartman(n).. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
Gjest Roger Thauland

I had no luck at the library, 1900 census; but perhaps someone knows how to find them using their address at the March 1900 marriage: 1024 N Taylor or Tailor. This is the right couple, got info from ELCA today, she from Trondheim, his location is hard to read: Va(v or r)o (with dots above). From his cert, his father has the first name Charles; from a census: to US 1878; so perhaps someone will put these clues together; it seems he was really about 36/37 at marriage; if i've found the correct person. This Charles is buried at Archer Woods cem, Willow Springs, IL. The current name is Mt Glenwood West and the office phone is not answered so i cannot get a location within the cem.(to look for a stone with date or other poss family) Can you order obit searchs yourself? What do you think? Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Aase R Sæther

I just received the adress of a man who is doing Trondheim lookups, and have asked him to look for her father's death. Maybe that will say something about where his children are located at that time. I'll be back when I've heard from him!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

While waiting, here is some info just found: from the 1910 census: Charles Eastman (T624/282/p174) at 3853 W Division, lives with son Charles, born ca 1903, age 7. ..but no wife/mother, so they are apart already in June 1910. He is a sailor(lake). Nat 1893, married 10 years, age 44--so his age does vary in each census. I will look at the birth index and birth registers but most are not recorded until 1916. In the 1900 census, they are together, indexed as ISTMAN! Charles, born Nov 1869, married 3 months, to US 1882, Nat citizen, Sailor. Christina, June 1880, no kids, to US 1896. Living at 1092 North Oakley, (T623/265/p87). There is a Charles P(T?) Eastman, in the 1930 census, Iowa, born IL to NOR's, right age, married, just maybe might be? I think i should ask for a Daily News obit lu; the son (or her) might have made the arrangements--what i suggest is your writing the cem asking for it all---who paid? address? headstone? dates on the stone? more than 1 grave? ..try both addresses if need be--Mt Glenwood and West. I have the copy of the church record-- from ELCA, the location is written 'Vavo'(.. atop the o), Norway. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Aase R Sæther

So Eastman - sounds Swedish? I found a Charles Augustus Eastman in the Illinois deaths in 1921, and Charles in 1919 and 1946. Do you have more information about them?And could you look for Christine Eastman among the Cook marriages? In case there was a divorce, she would have used that name by a new wedding, wouldn't she?Thank you so very much for what you have already done!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

As i guessed-no match for those; found them in the 1901 Chicago city dir as Eastman; same address as census; he is a 'shiprigger'. Just so we do not cause overlapping research--i have used the 1930 census info to locate the Iowa Charles, d 1957 still in Story county; also found wife Bertha, d 1989; am seeking obits and record lookups; might lead to info about his mother(did not find her thru 1915-she could be just anywhere in the world-but my best guess at the monent is either she returns to Norway or moved to Story county-Ames with her son) if my 'hunch' is correct--, i think it likely they made his fathers arrangements..hope you can contact the cemetery. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Aase R Sæther

Unfortunately, the Trondheim investigation lead to nothing. (You have to pay to get things done there, and I couldn't afford more than a copule of hours).So, Roger, I've gone through this once more, since I feel a little confused about some of the pieces of informations. This is what I can read out of the thread so far:- 1896: Christine came to Ellis Island, destination Chicago.- 1900: Christine Bracken and Charles T.Eartmann married on March 10th. Adress is 1024 N Tay(i)lor. She's from Trondheim, and must be the right woman. His father's first name was Charles, too.- 1900 census: Indexed as Istman, Charles born Nov 1869, to US 1882, Christina born June 1880, no children. Adress 1092 North Oakley.- 1910: Charles Eastman lived at 3853 W Division, lake sailor, married for 10 years, naturalized 1893, age 44 (which should be about1866), no wife present, but a 7 year old son Charles.- 1920: A Charles Eartmann in the Cook Census - seaman, living in a boarding house, married but 7 years too old. When you write 'born NOR to NOR's' - I guess you then mean born in Norway to Norwegian parents?- 1930: A Charles P or T Eastman in Iowa, right age, married, but born Ill to Nor's.- 1946: A Charles Eartmann in Illinois deaths, seems to be same as in 1920 census.Correct?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Yes, correct-it is Taylor, and 'P'. I am still working to obtain cemetery info, might even visit, if needed, when the snow melts; seems the office has no staff(but with a functional phone-never answered!!); a grounds keeper has access to records; the 'South' office has records from the 1970's to date and handles all current arrangements-the cem is still 'active'. And the Iowa Charles obit was found-(at least one of them)--but does not name any of his family-an uff..i think; so the volunteer will look at the death cert--but might be blank also--although there is hope as his wife was living...and we could try to purchase his 'delayed series' birth cert from Cook as he got his own cert in the 1940's--likely needed a passport or a govt agency required one; he served in the army of Canada(passport needed?)-seems odd and was an American Legion member! If need be, we could try to find his wife's family(she had cousins) and perhaps her obit to learn of any kids, Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Yaa--i should 'think' a bit more before posting--Charles Paul would have spoken and perhaps could read/write both languages and would have been recruited or vol.. to help train those who escaped-many joined the Canadian military and so Charles could be a trainer/translator. Ought to be records somewhere? From the 'lady' who answered the phone(!) at Adams Funeral Home, Ames, comes the info that the mother of Charles Paul is Christine Brekken and the father is Charles Eastman; i will email his obit later..but no details about her were recorded...so further research is needed..who knows --maybe she is in Archer Woods..and i wonder if any of hers who might not have lived are there...(i have asked for Bertha's obit, she was a McLaughlin from Mason City, married Nov 1927. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Aase R Sæther

Roger - *hug*So Charles Paul Eastman really is son of Christine! I'm looking forward to whatever else you might come up with!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Aase R Sæther

Roger, I can see that I have mixed up some of your informations. To make it clear, I cut this from your message # 8:'There is a Charles P(T?) Eastman, in the 1930 census, Iowa, born IL to NOR's, right age, married, just maybe might be?' - this is Charles jr, born 1903?And this from # 10:'I have used the 1930 census info to locate the Iowa Charles, d 1957 still in Story county; also found wife Bertha, d 1989'Still Charles jr.? And name of wife, Bertha, is from the 1930 census? Are there children listed in that census?And from #13: 'From the 'lady' who answered the phone(!) at Adams Funeral Home, Ames, comes the info that the mother of Charles Paul is Christine Brekken and the father is Charles Eastman' - so it is no doubt that Charles P from ## 8 and 10 is the right person?And this from #2: 'the 1946 Charles(IL deaths) and the 1930 census Charles in Cook are the same person, but a different guy, was single and 7 years older.' - corrected to 1920 census in #5 - this is Charles sr?Living alone 1920, as in 1910; would he have been listed as a widower if Christine had died? And what if they were divorced, would that have been said in the census? If she was at hospital for some reason or other - would she be listed with her husband at the census anyway?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

We have the right people; i should not call him JR as his was T. and P. was Paul--was not so sure of the handwriting. Charles Paul was born Oct 13, 1902...indexed as #82519 on film 378353; the actual cert is not on film as far as i know. And to make things more interesting i found her in 1910 and 1920--she added 6 years to her age in 1910...we would have to seek help in understanding that! ..what was the possible benefit? ..in 1920 the index has it 'Bletten' --but looking at the doc image it is clear who she is --she 'sews' for a living in both 1910 and 1920..and indicates she is single..while he claims married!!! ...i have never looked into Cook divorce records..hmmm...perhaps a separate topic? No kids in 1930 and none mentioned in his obit; still seeking hers. ...the age 'gambit' had me confused...still need something more about the 1946 Charles...might pay to have the Chicago DN lookup--an obit will help wrap it up---and since she is not in Story (so it seems as of this time)--she could be in Archer Woods---but that office is unstaffed! Roger. ..more later; perhaps they can be found in the 1930..so far, no luck---he might have been on a boat that whole month of the census taking?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

In 1920, make that Blatten??(sic), Christine, (37 or 39?); on T625-344, page 13a, line 32, ED1730, which is at 1747 N Talman Av, and in the 1917 city book: Kristine Brekken, tailor, at 1749 N Talman Av, that '7' might be a '9', i suspose(or the other way around). ..in 1920 i read it as she is working in some kind of 'tailor factory' as a 'tailorest'. (...i have no idea what that really is..). ..and i still do not find them in the 1930 census..she could have remarried and birthplace was not indexed for wives!!!! Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Aase R Sæther

Roger, this is great. So we have her in 1920, with her maiden name, and no sign of other children than Charles Paul who stayed with his father. And after 1920 she would be over 40 years old -- well, Sarah in the Bible was 80, but..So it looks like Charles Paul is my only chance when it comes to living descendants!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.