Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#19525] Norwegian or German name Hartvig

Gjest Catherine Larsen
 Del

Gjest Kjellaug Robberstad Petit

It may be of German origin, but there are many people in Norway with this surname or a variation, just have a look at the 1865 census. LenkeWhen I was in highschool, there was a girl with that name (Odda) and she was definitely Norwegian.Kjellaug R.P.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Barbara Lose

According to my dictionary Hartwig is a christian name of German origin, derived from the old words 'harti' = strong and 'wig' = fight, war. The name was very popular in the Middle Ages and may have spread over Scandinavia, spelled Hartvig.I never met a person called Hartwig, but we have quite a few Hartwigsens here in our county. It is a common surname in northern Germany and probably Denmark. B. Lose

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnstein Rønning

My theory is that the surname 'Hartvig' is a shortened form of 'Hartvigsen' (my theories are not always relieable!).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristian Hunskaar

Arnstein,Hartvig may perhaps also be a name of a place; Larvik was spelled Laurvig earlier, for instance (vik/vig = small fiord, inlet).My theories are not always reliable either, though!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Terje Hatvik

To decide whether or not 'Hartvig as in 'Lars Hartvig Larsen' is a first name, a middle name or a surname, you have to provide further details concerning the initial person in question; i.e. Mr. Hartvig Larsen. No foregone conclusions should be made without further knowledge or looking deeper into the topic.With reference to how to explain of the word 'Hartvig', the best explanation (and thus the most correct) is given by Barbara here.But if Hartvig should be interpreted as a name of a specific place - if it is an actual geographical site; then Hartvig could be a deviation of my own surname; Hatvik - earlier also spelled Hatvig (though 'Hartvig' in this case probably is a first or middle name, as indicated above).As such, the first part of this word, Hat; has nothing to do with headwear (hats), but stems from the old norse word 'hapt' which means a link, a narrow passage/valley which chains to sites together, a pass or even a hip (for example a womans hip). The last part 'vik/vig)' is a minor and rather narrow bay.Thus the word 'Hatvik' then (in this context) simply means the place where it runs narrow passage between two adjoining narrow bays. And if you happen to know this place, you will be amazed by the accuracy of this rather topographical observation of the actual site. It is a very precise description.However, having said so - I have no indications whatsoever of any link between myself and the aforementioned person in question above.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Catherine Larsen

Thank you ,everyone, for your help. The great grandfather I am researching was named Lars Larsen. I knew his birthdate and that he was from Drammen.I found him in the 1900 census for Drammen and that was when I saw his middle name was Hartvig. I was told many years ago that his father's name was also Lars Larsen and his mother's name was Andrea Mira. According to the census his mother's name was really Berthe Andrea Hermandsdatter so I don't know why I was told Mira! That is why I thought maybe it was a title,some form of address, but I see now it was probably a mistake by the old lady who told me. Her name was Anna Prunkl and she was the wife of Lars Hartvig Larsen. Thank you again for your help. Catherine

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.