Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#20510] Aushing & Alf Pedersen/Petterson- died in Oslo from eating poison flowers?

Gjest Janice webb
 Del

Gjest Janice webb

I have always heard that 2 of my great grandparent's children died in Norway from eating poison wild flowers.Their names were Aushing/Oushing and Alf Pettersen /Pederson.I think these are both boys name? I am not sure of the correct spelling?Their parents were Peter Bernhard Petterson/Pedersen born in Oslo Oct 4 1872 and Caroline Elise F Amundsen (Johansen)-born in Oslo 19 July 1875Is there anyone who can help me check if this story is correct?Mange Takk Janice

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Astrid Ryen

Hi Janice!I suppose these are your great grandparents and their children Magnus and Ella in Oslo 1900 Lenke.The name Aushing/Oushing may well have been Eugene which was a fairly common name in Oslo around 1900. The poisenous wild flowers from which the two boys died may hav been selsnepe, a kind of hemlock growing alongside creeks and lakes. Laburnum is also possible, mainly growing in gardens. Astrid

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Janice Webb

Takk AstridYes, I had seen Peter & Caroline & magnus & Ella on that link before. But it doesn't show the other children so I assume they died before 1900.I think the family belong to the Sagene parish in Oslo so I was hoping someone on the internet had access to the records from 1892- 1899??I am guessing that Oushing & Alf might have been born in the between years as no children were born for 7 yrs? Is there anywhere on the internet to research these death records?Takk for the plants information , it seems like such a shame for children to died this way but I guess they would have just gone to sleep and not awaken.I hope hoping someone out there can help?Janice

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Helge R. Naess

The name Eugene was often pronounced like 'au'sheen' (in Norwegian), with a strong emphasize on the first part of the name (well, this was difficult to clarify in English). I am sure Astrid is right, the pronounciation would become something lik 'Aushing'.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Helge R. Naess

PS: yes Alf and Eugene are boys' names. You must write the name as Eugene, as 'aushing/au'shen' are only attempts to express how it was spoken (in a rather vulgar way, but that is how my farming father (from near Oslo) pronounced it...) It was never written like that. Eugene it is !

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Knut Skorpen

If you in the 1900-census seek for first-names starting with 'aus' or 'eus' you will find a lot of ways of spelling the originally French name 'Eugène' (In American: Gene).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 måned senere...
  • 3 år senere...
Gjest Janice Webb

Good News!I found one of the little brothers of my grandmother's.( I am so happy!)Ellef Barnholt or Barnhart Petersen= born 9 May( mai)1897- so he was 2 yrs old than my grandmother Ella Karen Johane Petersen- born in Sept 15 1899Now I need to find his brother Aushing(Eugene) & when they died?I assume they died before the 1900 census as they are not shown on it.I am not quite sure where I should look for their deaths? If anyone can help that would be wonderfulMange takk for your helpJanice:)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Anne Minken

I think the cause of death given in column 9 is a doctor's diagnosis written in latin. The third word is 'febris' - fever. The first word might be 'gastroenteritis' - a stomach inflammation.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Janice Webb

Mange tusen takk Per Harald & AnneI thought I would find Eugene/ Aushing listed on the burial page too? But I don't see him?Is Ellef's middle name Bernholt or Bernhart?? (Peter 's middle name was Bernhart)It appears burial was 27 Dec 1898 & Ellef was only 1 yr old ,it would have been so sad to lose 2 little boys at the same time.Caroline & Peter had my grandmother 15 Sept 1899 so she must have gotten pregnant in December 1898 also.I still can't find when Caroline & Peter got married ?? I was told they took banns on 27 March 1896.Their first child Magnus Olaf was born Nov 5 1892 & they lived at different addresses at that time.Peter immigrated in April 1902 & Caroline & children in Mar 1907(100 years ago this year)bye for now Janice:)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per Harald Jonson

Hi!Ellef died 16/5-1900 and was buried on May 25th so he should be 3 years old when he died. I looked for Eugene but could not find him dead 1898-1901. I read 'Ellef Bärnholt' in the baptism and 'Ellef Bernholt' in the burial records.You can find Magnus Olaf's baptism in Sagene here (#18 Lenke). His parents were not married at the time.Regards, Per Harald

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.