Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#20778] Gustav Karlsen - Chicago, Illinois 1932

Gjest Torunn C Ludvigsen
 Del

Gjest Torunn C Ludvigsen

Jeg lager et nytt tema, da jeg nå vet hvor Gustav kommer fra. Velger også å referere på engelsk, da kanskje det er enklere for noen.Recap: The brother of my great grandfather emigrated to the US. I am not sure when he did, but in 1932, Gustav Karlsen ( karlson) writes a letter to his brother ( my grandfather). He doesn't tell much, but he says that work is hard to get, and that he is 'welding cables '(Spleiser kabler) for a living. He mentions that the tide is dire, and a lot of unemployment. At the end of his letter, his adress is: Gustav Karlsen (son), 2030 N. Kimbell, Chicago, Illinois.In the local census for 1897 in Sweden, he is said to be in the US, but I do not know if he is in Chicago at this point.Before he is said to be in the US, he is said to have gone to Norway.In the Swedish Census for 1890, he is home with his family in Sweden.His occupation at this time, is said to be a sailor, (sjøman) What I wonder is the following: Does any records say when he emigrated to the US? Where is he in the censuses? (1930, 1920, 1910).. ? Did he marry? And did he get any children? What did become of him? Did he get any other work? Birthinformation on Gustav: He was born in Stora Ulvfsked, Bohuslän, Sverige in 02.12.1871. His fathers name was: Karl Johan Olsson ( Carl Johan Olsson) and his morthers name was: Justina Johansdotter.Gustav had at least a sister, and two brothers, the sister, and one of his brothers were older, and a brother was younger. Their name was: Amanda, Hilmer Leonard and Johan August.Does anyone know anything about Gustav?For norwegian version: LenkeTheme: 19127Torunn C

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Perhaps more detail can be provided? Do you now the complete birthdates? Does Gustav have a middle name as his brothers? I might be able to look at the 1928 city book and a 1937 voter list book, Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torunn Cathrine Ludvigsen

Gustaf Karlson born: 02.12.1871, Bohuslän SwedenJohan August Karlson born: 07.05.1876 Hilmar Leonard born: 16.06.1865, died: 31.03.1883, Gothenburg, Sweden Amanda Karlson: born: 24.11.1862, alive in 1900.Parents:Carl Johan (Karl Johan) Olson (Olsson) born: 27.07.1833, in Bohuslän, Sweden died: 22.05.1908, Sweden Justina Johansdotter ( Johannesdotter) born: 16.11.1834, Bohuslän, Sweden died: 07.11.1910, Sweden.For Gustaf (Gustav):In 1890: in Sweden together with his parents, and siblings, not Hilmer Leonard.In 1897: Is said in local census, that he is in AmericaIn 1932: ( late october) in Chicago with adress: 2030 N. Kimbell, Chicago, Illinois.This is all that I have, really.I think that Gustaf (gustav) travelled to America via Norway, but the excat date, I do not know.I haven't searched Ellis Island yet.Thank you for all help!Torunn C

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hey Roger!I just wonder if you found Gustaf?I searched ellis Island, but I couldn't find any perfect match.. I guess he had a too common name, or maybe he travelled to Boston...Torunn C

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

So far, no luck; does not seem to be any 'K' in the IL indexes, i may look at some 'C' this week, so perhaps.. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Inger Bjørnaas

I wonder if this could be your Gustaf ? I tried to check the original manifest, but I think the wrong side is comming up. [url="http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passRecord.asp?pID=102870042374>LenkeHer is another person. He and his wife Hulda, and their two children has been wisiting Europe and is on their way back to Ill. This Gustaf is travelling together with his sister, Carolina, b. about 1870.LenkeThere is a lot of persons with this name.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Inger! thank you for searching Ellis Island! And I really think that the first person may be 'my' Gustav. I mean.. the birthday sounds really probable.And the year.I searched the Digitalarkivets database on emigrants, and I found only 11 persons who emigrated, so I think that that year may be incomplete.. And that may be why I haven' found Gustav there. Anyway. I really think that this could be the right Gustav.But the other one.. I haven't heard that Gustav had a sister named Carolina, but of course I could have missed her.Regards Torunn C

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
Gjest Roger Thauland

Vell, after only 17 wrong Gus's, i found him; (cookies in the mail?, i yoke). Shall i try to follow up? If you give an email address i will send the cert. He died June 11, 1946. Some info: living at 1519 Hollywood Av for 3 yrs and 6 months. Gustave Carlson, born Dec-2-1871, Sweden, single, was a store manager at a chain grocery store(like Jewel or A&P). All personal details are unknown, except for his mothers first name--shown as 'Elna'. The informant is Laurence V.(J.?) Ohnberg or maybe Okerberg or Oherberg, 2204 A... St. Do you know that name? What do you think? Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

So you found him.. I am interested in a follow-up, of course. But I have reservations about posting my email-adress here.. So that may be a bit of a problem..Some questions: The cert, you are talking about, is that the deathcertificate? I have that his mother's name is 'Justina', so Elna sound unfamiliar in this context, but I guess names do change when you move to other countries. The informant doesn't sound familiar to me, but it sounds swedish-like so they might have been friends?But since you have found a man named Gustav Carlson, which is born on december 2 1871, it probably is likely that you have found the 'right' GustavTorunn C

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

You can write to me, my address is easy to find; the funeral home promises to call me, today, with whatever info is in the file(that they choose to share), i hope that includes details about which paper printed an obit(if any). I'll also call the cemetery to learn the lot location and perhaps some info about any others in the same lot(if any)(he might not have always been 'single'!). I suspose Justina was 'tina', which with 'accents' and spelling issues...Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kathy Bergan Schmidt

About your reluctance to post your e-mail address -- that is something many of us feel. To get around that, many genealogists here in the United States get a free e-mail address through Yahoo! or a similiar service. It is like having a mailbox at the post office, rather than giving everyone your street address.Another advantage is that you can check for and send e-mail anywhere you have access to the internet, such as at a public library. This is very helpful when travelling away from home.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
Gjest Torunn C Ludvigsen

Hello Roger. Easter has passed, and I tried to find your emailadress. But no such luck...But I wonder if you have found out any more about Gustav?Torunn C

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torunn Cathrine

Kathy, I see that you also are situated in Illinois... Can you help me?Or maybe somone else can.Roger, from the date of the letter to his death, how can I find more information about his wereabouts?Although he is presented as single at his death, could it be possible to find out if he lived with someone, if he got children, although he wasn't married etc.Roger, all the information you said, you were about to get, have you gotten this?Regards TC

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

He is buried in Irving Park Blvd cemetery in the Cedar singles section; block 20, space 151. ..but has no headstone--went there to see for myself; have you contacted the Scandinavian Genealogy Group of the Swedish-American Museum of Chicago? ..you can find them on the web; perhaps you need to hire someone to search for an obit; i just don't know what other records could be available; the Uptown National Bank on Broadway handled his estate along with a court appointed admin, Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you for the information!But, you mention in your previous message som info that was coming your way, has it arrived?TC

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 3 uker senere...
  • 4 måneder senere...
 Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.