Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#20909] Anna Olson at Charles Schueller in Chicago, Illinois in the 1910 Census

Gjest Torunn Cathrine Ludvigsen
 Del

I am looking for an Anna Olsen, who travelled to the USA in 1909. ( for norwgian topic:) [url="http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebDebatt.exe?slag=listinnlegg&temanr=16311&debatt=brukar&spraak=>Lenke This is the information so far about Anna:She was born in Skjeberg, Østfold, Norway 30.11.1872. Her mother was: Grete Kristiansdatter Her father was: Andreas Pettersen Solli ( Sollid)Her maiden name was: Anna Gulette Andreasdatter Solli.She had many brothers and sisters, and one which was close to her, was her brother Kristian, which had an occupation as a 'sjømand' Sailor.In 1896 she married Gustav Julius OlsenIn 1902 he died, and she became a widow.In 1908 she moved from Sellbak,( Borge, Østfold, Norway) to Christiania ( now Oslo in Norway, the capital), to work as a housekeeper.In 1909 she is listed as an emigrant Lenkewith destination New York. I have searched Ellis Island online, and I have not found her there. And noone of the others who listed New York as a destination, who travelled along side with her.I tried to follow a lead that had a history behind it... Anna was also close with one of her uncles.His name was Andreas C. Haugen or Andrew C. Haugen as he called himself in the US.Here is information about him: His emigration in 1902: LenkeHere he is with his family in Norway in the 1900 census: LenkeHe settled in Minnesota.Here he is in Ellis Island LenkeHis son, Ole, did also emigrate.He travelled a month after Anna to the US: LenkeOle emigrated also in 1922 ( here he is at Ellis Island:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Hmmmm, Anna's and Olsen's combine to form trouble, i think; but she is a widow and might be listed in the city book as such--so a lookup is possible; what was the 1910 address? Has the 1920/1930 been searched for her? Her name may appear in the marr index many times(unless she is recorded as 'Mrs..') ; a possible approach is to look at each Ann* in the census in 1920 of the correct age and birth country who appear to have married in the 1910's and then find her married name in the IL death index for film lookups. I can look at a city book film and the Marr index film. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hello Roger.The information I've got is from the 1910 census. I guess that Charles Shueller was the head of the household. That is all information I've got at this point. I guess Charles is easier to find than Anna.I haven't searched the other censuses yet either.Thank you for your quick answer!Torunn C

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

I need someone to look at the image-poor quality-in the 1920: Chicago--Annie Olsen, age 47, 28wd, living at 1638 North Fairfield, to us 1909---who are the other 2? Torunn--did she have children with Gustav? Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

To my knowledge she did not have any children with Gustav Julius (called Julius).Regards Torunn C

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
Gjest Roger Thauland

Yes, i looked at lds film; the date was actually 1904, so i think this is not them; the 2 were sons, Nels and i forget; did not write it down! ..and none of the marr index entries was for a Mrs..perhaps that detail was not recorded, i wonder. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torunn Cathrine

Thanks Roger!I haven't been able to certify that Anna went to Chicago at all.. I am not really sure how to certify this either..This is difficult but I guess I am not the only one who has a problem with finding people in the S..Maybe if I somehow could track her journey from Norway to the US it would be easier.. I know so and so, but not for certain. Is there a way to know that she actually came to Hull? from Oslo?TC

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 3 uker senere...
Gjest Torunn C Ludvigsen

I just try to bring this up, once again.What it says in the 1910 cenus, in Chicago, do you have what it says, Roger, word by word?( Information about what I have is further up in this topic).When she started to work, I guess she had to pay tax in Chicago. Is that correct?And is there any way I could search that information?Did she have to register in any other way, when she moved there?Anna could easily have survived until, I guess as far as the 1960's ... Hmm.. I really do not have any good ideas, how to go about searching for her.By the way, Anne Hildrum, do you have gotten my emails?TC

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 måned senere...
Gjest Torunn C Ludvigsen

Hello!Does anyone have access to the 1910 census, and thus can provide everybit of the information about the houshold of Charles Schueller in Chicago ( see above for adress)TC

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torunn C Ludvigsen

Thank you, both Laila and Harald!So... The search continues..I recently got a rumour about Anna, that she migrated home after quite some time in the US... I know people have asked this before, but is there any records 'the other way'?I can rember surfing in to a site, with pictures of Norwegians in Chicago, at a ticketoffice for tickets to Norway. I can't remember the adress at the moment...TC

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torunn C Ludvigsen

I found the site!Here is the adress:Lenke It could be worth surfing if you have ancestors who lived in Chicago from 1902-1933TC

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torunn C Ludvigsen

Hello!I have done an extensive search of the 138 people which sailed with Anna at the Ship 'Oslo'.Of these people, I have only ( so far) found people who used an agent called 'Elster' on Ellis Island. Below is a list of these people, which arrived with the ship 'Baltic' at 21. march 1909 at Ellis Island: ( I didn't find all of the people which signed with agent Elster.)A question: What does 'R.' in the 'Tillatelse' - column - mean?I haven't found any of the other people so far.So.. below here are the people that I have found on Ellis Island who traveled with the SS Oslo from Christiania March 6. 1909:Nr. 188549Nils Andersen Rukke ug. Arb. F. 17.11.1889--------------Nr. 188569Oscar Maurits Sundkvist ug. Maler F: 12.12.1880--------------------------------Nr. 188589Iver Ols. Lunaasenget (Enget) ug arb. F: 20.04.1888-----------------------------Nr. 188590Abraham Abrahams. Gulli ug. Arb. F: 23.06.1890-----------------------Nr. 188591Nils Kristian Abrahams. Gjermundrød ug. Arb. F: 09.11.1887-----------------Nr. 188601Ole Martinsen Hval ug. Snedker F: 21.04.1875----------------------Nr. 188609Nils Gulbrands. Dyve ug. Arb. F: 25.03.1884------------------------Nr. 188615Anton Pauls. Havestad ug. Skrædder F: 12.07.1875----------------Nr. 188616Edvard Johannes. Bakke ug Snedker F: 01.06.1886--------------Nr. 188617Hans Ols. Bue ug. Arbd F: 12.06.1884-----------------------------Nr. 188619Ivar Hans. ug. Arb. F: 25.10.1890-----------------Nr. 188620Ole Ols. Hagen ug. Arb. F: 08.04.1884------------------------------------Nr. 188621Karl Edvard Johansson ug maler F: 21.12.1889-------------------------------Nr. 188622Arvid Maurits Olsson ug. Arb. F: 10.07.1890-------------------Nr. 188652Josef Olaves. (Askim) (Lars.) ug. Arb. F: 11.01.1892-------------------Nr.188659Peder Knuts. Lykken ug. Arb. F: 19.08.1889-------------TC

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 måned senere...
Gjest Torunn C Ludvigsen

Roger! ( Or anyone who can help.. ) I have found, by searching the Illinois Death Index A Anna G. Olsen dead 1919-08-05 The indexnumber was: 6031885.Could this be 'my' Anna? My problem is that it doesn't say how old this Anna was. So.. have you any resources where you could find out if this might be 'my' Anna?Torunn C

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
Gjest Torunn C Ludvigsen

I have been thinking of 'my' Anna.. And by reading an answer to a emigrationtopic, by Laila N. I realised, that I had not searched the 'skifte' of her mother.. I know that she was alive in 1902, I just hope that she lived to after Anna emigrated.Her father died sometime during the period march 1901 and october 1902. Do not know exactly when. His name was Andreas Pettersen.Her mothers name was Grethe ( or Grete) Kristiansdatter ( or Christiansdatter). She was born 1850 in Skjeberg and in the census in Norway she was in Borge: Lenkehere it says that she was born in 1851..She could live for long, so.. Does anyone know when she died?Torunn C

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Just noticed your post, when i return to IL and get to the lib(only open Sat in Aug), i will do the lookup. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.