Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#21083] Bernt Andreas Berntsen. Hva og hvor hen,USA Kansje

Gjest Sigbjørn Sandsmark
 Del

Gjest Joy Cottrell

I received an e-mail today from the Chicago Public Library with the names of the owners/managers for the cemeteries.CONCORDIA CEMETERY Gary Neubieser, ManagerFOREST HOME / WALDHEIM CEMETERY Pat Julian Kautz, Manager Carl Hunking, OwnerEmma at Forest Home didn't seem too keen an doing any lookups, but tried a few names.Today, John, from Concordia, called me to say that he checked files in 1905 and 1906 for Anna Larsen / Bentson / Quarnstrom but didn't find her in their files. So my guess is that she was probably buried at Forest Home. I don't know if they have a burial book (other than file cards) to check, but because I don't have an exact date or last name, I'm out of luck.It seems like Lars Bentson should be easier to find as there aren't so many last names to check, but can't find any trace of him either.The answer may lie at Brookfield Historical Society, since they have the only directory (at least 1905, and maybe others) and I feel like they would be the only one who might have the old Suburban Magnet newspapers too, but they don't answer my letters or phone calls. I don't know if anyone is ever there. I posted on the Cook County List to ask if anyone had ever been there or knows what information they may have there, but no one responded. It's probably a small place and maybe no one currently doing research had relatives living in that area.Roger, where did you find the article about Henry Bentson's farm? I couldn't find it.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
Gjest Joy Cottrell

Roger, I came across the translation of a letter the other day, which is my only clue as to when Lars Bentson died. The letter was written from Bendikte (Lars Andreassen's sister in Chicago) to Selma (Lars Bentson's daughter and wife of Lars A.). Paraphrased, it said:Bendikte says how sorry she was to hear of the death of Selma's father, Lars Berntsen, just before she lost her husband Lars (Andreassen) on (Dec. 8) 1909. She said Lars Andreassen had received a letter about the death of his father-in-law before he died (on Dec. 8).So it sounds like Lars Bentson died in the last half of 1909 (but before Dec. 1st when Lars would have left for his last trip on Lake Erie (he drowned when the boat caught fire during a bad storm).That date you had earlier for an Unknown Bentson 6-16- 1909 could be a possibility. What do you think?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

I'm waiting for some LDS film. No luck with the 1910 date, did not find the cert on the film. There is a Mary Bentson, d 12-31-1907, #11, on film 1239760; and a 'male' Bentson, d 6-16-1909, #1022, on film 1239827; and Alice, b 1906, #1930, on film 1288119, for the address; and Signa, d 5-14-1945, Kane, #22283, on film 1984186, for her birth date. Perhaps i'll get to Newberry this week for film 1215, which should really 'nail it'! Roger. ...i hope the 1909 cert is on that film and provides some clue about where, perhaps WI, MI, or IN; are WI 1909 deaths online? If not, trying to buy a cert from Madison seems a reasonable action.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Joy Cottrell

Roger, good to hear from you again. Of the people you mentioned, the one that is the most interesting is the 'Male' Bentson who died 6-16-1909. That sure would be the right time period for Lars. As for Anne Larsen, I'm pretty sure she died in 1906, but no proof.Yes, Signa did die in Kane Co. on 5-14-1945. I have a copy of her death certificate. I just can't figure out why I can't find any birth record for her in Juneau County, WI. There are several small towns in that county, so hard to know where John Bentson lived. I don't know if he bought a farm there or just rented. And I can't figure out where they lived when they left Wisconsin (probably about July 1890, since that is when John's brother emigrated to the U.S.) and when they bought their house at 468 W. 23rd Place in Chicago in Sept. 1891. I lost the family for about a year. Their name was sometimes misspelled as 'Benson' without the 'T' which also makes it hard to find them.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 3 uker senere...
Gjest Joy Cottrell

As I was looking through an old photo album the other day, I came across a picture of Anne Larsen. My father had typed labels to go under each picture, but he listed her as Bestamor, Anna Bentson, Died 1906. I noticed that in the 1900 census for Chicago, Anne Larsen was living with her son, Gabriel Bentson, and his family. She was listed last in the family, but the name was not changed from Bentson to Larsen in the listing. Maybe an error or maybe she went by Bentson after the death of her second husband.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 4 uker senere...
Gjest Roger Thauland

Well, i think that was Bentson, poorly written at some point. Before i knew it 3 hours went by looking at the cemetery films. ...i looked at each column--name, age, address...zip. So i think you need to pay Concordia to search...if there is truth to the story about the relocation. Another possible idea: purchase one or both of the death certs of Gabe's---i have Alice's birth cert, (3rd of 3, all living) and sure enough they live at 2041 N. 41st Ct. (do you want it?) The address matchs Mary and the boy. We figured out that code 'SB' means 'stillborn' or stillbirth'. ..but the certs seem to be missing from lds film, we think SB certs were filed separately..you could try to look at all the films from the years...you might ask the SLC FHC for advice. Otherwise try to buy them from Cook county, they will have the cemetery and burial date. (see the web site) details again: Bentson, male, 2041 n 41st ct, sb, 6-16-1909, cert 1022/1 and Bentson, Mary, same address, sb, 12-31-1907, cert 11/14.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

ps, that address is near the intersection of Roscoe and Milwaukee and Pulaski(was Crawford), thats on the border of Avondale/Kilbourne Park.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Joy, hope you are well; More wild thoughts...i saw a Bentizen( & some other ben...) in the cemetery index, from out of state and not a match at all, but suspose that led to the 1950's letter? ..that could explain not finding them..a 'false alarm'!! ..and suspose the aunt was driven to Chicago on Cermak or Roosevelt or La Grange road(in part)? Actually, Woodlawn cemetery in Forest Park is closer(south of FH) on Cermak RD. Parkholm(aka Oak Hill), La Grange Park is close. Also, Glen Oak in Westchester and Oak Ridge in Hillside are real possible. What do you think? Check them all, i suggest, Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Joy Cottrell

Roger, so good to hear from you again. Thank you for looking through the LDS microfilm. I found your information quite intriguing. You said to purchase one or both of Gabe's death certificates. Did you mean Mary and the Unknown Bentson Male? I am totally unaware (as I'm sure Gabe's grandson is) that he had any more children (i.e., Mary & Unknown Male). My first inclination was to say that they must have belonged to another family, but if the address is the same as Gabe's (2041 N. 41st Court), then they must be his. How do you know that the addresses were the same if the certificates were missing? I called IRAD today, but they don't carry the death certificates for Chicago proper, so if you think those children are Gabe's, I will try to order them. If you have Alice's birth record, I would like to have a copy of that.I would like to pay for the microfilm rental and any expenses you had, so please contact me directly at alc1081362@aol.com and let me know the cost. I just really appreciate your doing that for me. Since my vision is still not so good, I can't read the microfilm.At this point, I am open to all of your suggestions. I ran across a page in Gabe's book that said that his mother had died and there was enough money left over from the funeral for him to help purchase some property in Los Angeles. It doesn't give any dates though, but maybe HE buried her with that money. He never had much money of his own, but maybe Anne had a little from her second husband's death. I have written and called (twice) Concordia, Forest Home, Parkholm and perhaps one other in the area, but no one can ever find her.If Gabe had two stillborn children, it would be interesting to see where THEY are buried since they died around the same time.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 4 måneder senere...
Gjest Sigbjørn Sandsmark

Jeg er fortsatt på leting etter Bernt Andreas,har ikke funnet noe mere-. Er takknemmelig for alle ider til steder å lete og opplysninger om han. Mvh Sig---

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 år senere...
Gjest Sigbjørn Sandsmark

Jeg lurer fremdeles på hvor i all verden denne Bernt Andreas har opphodt seg etter han forlot Flekkefjord 1880. Og ikke minst lurer jeg på hvor han døde. Er takknemmelig for alle inspill. Sig---

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 8 måneder senere...
Gjest Sigbjørn Sandsmark

Og jeg lurer fortsatt på hvor Bernt Andreas tok veien. Hvilke skipsruter var aktuelle ut fra Kristiansand / Stavanger i 1939?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 9 måneder senere...
 Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.