Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#21957] Ellef Sørensen, minst 6 av 7 barn dro til Amerika

Gjest Sigurd Andersen
 Del

Gjest Sigurd Andersen

Ellef Sørensen ble født i Modum i 1849 og døde i Oslo i 1926. Med sin kone Ellen Marie Johansen (f. Toten 1855) fikk han minst 7 barn, og jeg har funnet ut at hvertfall 6 av disse dro fram og tilbake til USA mellom 1890-tallet og 1930-tallet. Jeg tror at noen av dem har etterkommere her i Norge, og håper å komme i kontakt med noen av disse for å kunne finne ut mer om Ellef og familien. De følgende er de barna jeg vet om: 1) Søren Ingvald Antonius Sørensen/Ellefsen aka Sam Samson 2) Trygve Alexander Sørensen/Sorensen 3) Einar (Marius) Sørensen 4) Alma Theodora Sørensen, gift Felberg 5) Jonas Sørensen 6) Eveline/Evelyn Sørensen/Ellefsen, gift Eady 7) Edle Malvina Sørensenbilete0102.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Sigurd Andersen

Jeg burde kanskje tatt med alle opplysningene jeg har i det første innelegget. Her er hvertfall alt jeg vet om familien:------------Ellef Sørensen descendantsEllef Sørensen was born 28. September 1849 in Modum, Norway, and died in 1926 in Oslo, Norway. He married Ellen Marie Johansen about 1875. She lived ca 1855-1910.Their children that I know about:I. Søren Ingvald Antonius Sørensen 1876-1957 Born Christiana, Norway. Died Oslo, Norway. At age 17 Søren left Norway on May 26, 1893, under the name of “Søren I. A. Ellefsen”. Going on the ship Montebello from Christiania to Liverpool, then continuing on the Aurania from there, he arrived Ellis Island, New York City, NY on June 12, under the name of “Soren Ellingsen”. Both in Norway and in the US he said that his final destination was “Plano”; perhaps Plano, TX. Married Augusta Mathilde Andersen. One child: Abigael Sørensen (1897-1975) Søren is found in the 1900 Census in Christiania. He went to the US at least once more, perhaps ca 1920. Known for having used the name Sam Samson in the US. When in 1921 his father Ellef went to the US, he listed Søren as his nearest friend or relative in Norway. He listed Søren as living in Vibesgate 21, Christiania.II. Trygve Alexander Sørensen 1882-1951 Born Christiana, Norway. Died Oslo, Norway. Married Victoria Karlsen. Three children: Marvin Ellef Sorensen (1906-1986), Tootie (married Mr Øktan) and Alexander Ellefsen (1903-1942). Trygve is found in the 1900 Census in Christiania, as a painter. In Septemer 1902 Trygve, as a painter, went from Christiania to Chicago, IL via New York City, NY. In April 1903, his wife Victoria and son Alexander travelled after him. In March 1906 the second son Marvin was born in Illinois. In November 1906 his sister Alma listed in the passenger records that she was going to Trygve at a Chicago address. At some point Trygve and his family returned to Norway. In 1921 Marvin left Norway for good, and in 1926 his brother, now calling himself by the surname Ellefsen rather than Sorensen left Norway as well. They both lived the rest of their lives in the US, while their parents and sister remained in Norway.III. Einar (Marius) Sørensen 1884- aft 1914 Born Christiania, Norway. Einar is found in the 1900 Census in Christiania, as a barber. Very likely is he the same person as “barber Einar Marius Sørensen, born July 22, 1885” who went from Christiania Boston, MA in July 1906, as well as from Christinia to Canada in April 1914. The year of birth 1884 comes from the Census 1900, which is often wrong, like in the case of Einar’s brother Trygve’s date of birth (it said 1881, while the true date is 1882). I have been unable of finding Einar when arriving in the US/Canada. No other clues to Einar’s life exist.IV. Alma Theodora Sørensen 1887-aft 1906 Born on October 22 1887, Christiania, Norway. Alma is found in the 1900 Census in Christiania. In October 1906 she left Norway for the US. She went to her brother Trygve in Chicago, IL via New York City, NY, where she arrived on November 2. At the time her height was 5 feet 5 inches, her hair color fair and her eyes blue. The passage, $10.00 was paid by her father Ellef Sørensen. When arriving in the New York harbor on September 19, 1911, Evelyn Ellefsen said that she was going to her brother-in-law, Gilbert Felberg in St. Paul, Minnesota. Evelyn had only one sister, as far as I know, who was in USA at the time. That sister was Alma, and it seems likely to me that Alma married Gilbert Felberg at some point between October 1906 and September 1911. I find that Gulbrand (Gilbert) Gulbrandsen Felberg (b. January 9, 1880) from Jevnaker, Norway, was a tailor who went to the US from Oslo in May of 1902. He said he was going to Minnesota. In 1906 or earlier he apparently went back home to Norway, as in January 1907 Gilbert went to the US again, this time listing New York as his destination. Apart from this nothing is known of Alma. She hasn’t been found in the Censuses in the US as the wife of Gilbert/Gulbrand Felberg, nor has anyone looked.V. Jonas Sørensen 1890-aft 1900 Born in Christiania, Norway. Jonas is found in the 1900 Census in Christiania. Nothing is known about him.VI. Evelyn Sørensen 1893-aft 1921 Born on July 6, 1893 in Østre Aker, Christiania, Norway. Eveline is found in the 1900 Census in Christiania, which incorrectly gives her year of birth as 1897. On September 8, 1911, Evelyn went to the US for the first time, listed as “Evelyn Ellefsen”. She was single and a servant. When arriving in the New York harbor on September 19, 1911, Evelyn Ellefsen said that she was going to her brother-in-law, Gilbert Felberg in St. Paul, Minnesota. She is listed as 5 feet 5 inches, color of hair: fair and blue eyes. As her nearest relative or friend, she lists: “Father: Ellef Sørensen Aasland Ø. Aker”. I believe Aasland to be a place in Østre Aker, rather than part of Ellef’s surname. In 1921 Evelyn’s father Ellef and nephew Marvin were travelling from Christiania to New York, saying that they were on their way to Evelyn. At the time she wasmarried, and is listed as Mrs. C. M. Eady, living at 331 Jackson Street, St. Paul, MN. Evelyn apparently travelled with her father and nephew, though she has not yet been found in the Norwegian records. Ellis Island lists her as “Evelyn Eady”, though, age 27. Also it informs that her “Passport No 1852511 [was] issued at Washington DC on February 24th 1921”. If Eveline then went straight to Norway she would have arrived there no earlier than March 1921. Then the arrival back in the US was May 24, 1921. Seems as though she went to “pick up” her old father, who lived with her for at least one year, starting the summer of 1921.VII. Edle Malvina Sørensen 1896-aft 1915 Born Christiania, Norway. Edle is found in the 1900 Census in Christiania. In May 1915 she left Bryn station, Østre Aker, Christiania, where she was living with her father, for New York City, New York. She is listed as a clerk/servant. She had paid her passage herself and brought $25.00 with her. She was going to stay with a friend in Brooklyn, NY – Jon/John Enkeng. When arriving in New York on June 4, Edle’s height was 5 feet 2/7 inches, her complexion fair, the color of her hair brown and her eyes brown. Apart from this nothing is known about Edle.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Geir Kamsvaag Berntsen

Er du sikker på at Ellef Sørensen døde 1926, og i tilfelle, at han døde i Oslo eller Aker. Jeg finner ham ikke i adressebok for Oslo 1925 og ikke ikke i dødsfallsregister til Oslo Skifterett eller tilsvarende register for Aker. (For å finne etterkommere er dette viktig.)Dette er kanskje kjent, men står ikke i oppsummeringen din:Ved folketellingen 31.12.1883 bor familien i Pilestredet 102, foruten foreldre sporvognskusk Ellef Sørensen og Marie (oppgitt født 1854), sønnene Søren og Trygve. Året etter flytter de.I Adressebog for Kristiania 1884-1888 finnes Ellef Sørensen som sporvognskusk bosatt i Frichs Gade 3, men er merkelig nok ikke oppført på denne adressen ved folketellingen 31.12.1885.Trygve Alexander var født 24.06.1882, døpt i Uranienborg kirke 16.07.1882, da bodde de i Industrigade 53. (Ellen Marie står her født 1855). Opprinnelig var han døpt noen annet enn Trygve (strøket over, men sikkert leselig i originalen), men 'Navnet forandret efter Forældrenes Ønske'. (Uranienborg Mini 1).Søren Ingvald Antonius var født 18.10.1876, døpt i Johannes 12.11.1876, moren står her oppført som Ellen Marie Johannesdatter. Ellef er her jernbanearbeider. Vielsen er oppført til 07.11.1875 (ikke Johannes, denne har jeg ikke lett etter),

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Sigurd Andersen

Hei Geir og tusen takk for hjelpen så langt! MYE ny informasjon her! Søren er tippoldefaren min, og hadde bare ett barn som jeg vet om (Abigael, f 1897), så den delen av familien vet jeg endel om. Han tilbrakte visstnok ganske mye tid i USA og skal ha 'stukket av' til Finland, etc så det skulle ikke overraske meg om han hadde noen barn andre steder i verden.Ellef dro til USA i 1921 og oppga på Ellis Island at hans kulle bli i landet i ett år. Jeg tror imidlertid han ble der lenger, og skal visstnok ha kommet hjem kotr tid før sin død. Det kan forklare hvorfor han ikke er å finne i adresseboken for 1925. Men jeg vet ikke eksakt hvilken dato i 1926 han skulle ha dødd på, eller hvor.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.