Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#24208] Robertsen from norway to canada

Gjest stephan gagnon
 Del

Gjest stephan gagnon

I am from canada.I need help to resolve a mistery. My grand-grand fathers was sailing on a boat between 1885 and 1890. When he and his two friends arrived ,they jumped the boat and start ed a new life here at the fishing town called Tadoussac,Canada. I did all the research I could here in canada but Hendry Robertsen stayed a deep enigma. He lived here 25 years and hided all about his past life. I been searching in the archives of Canada but i could'nt find nothing except some names of boats i can't identified The name of the two companions was Gunder Olsen son of Olaus Olsen and Inger Marie Jacobsen from Tonsberg and Christian Josefsen son of Joseph Andersen and Tonette Olsdr from Andebu(vestfold) borned 11 march 1874. All i need is the boat they been voguing on,but any other information would be welcome.From Canada ,Stef

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Møller Nordby

According to Familysearch IGI:-----HENRIK ROBERTSENChristening: 22 NOV 1868 Tune, Ostfold, NorwayFather: ROBERT ANTON HANSEN FamilyMother: MAREN JULIE JOHANSDR-----Tune is 'just across' the fjord

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Møller Nordby

Well someone gave you this information before as well LenkeDo you believe that Henrik from Tune could be your ancestor? In some way I do because he jumped ship.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Møller Nordby

This page http://www.pinaas.no/slekt/alexander.htm contains information about John Alexander Robertsen and his descendants. He was born in Scotland, Broxburn, Upphall - died 22-08-1818, Tune Norway.Henrik Robertsen was one of his descendants. Maybe the owner (Thor Pinaas) of this page could provide you with some new information about Henrik

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest stefan gagnon

The man called Henrick Robertsen and borned in Tune is list as perish at sea and not listed as lost at sea, so someone told me that there is good reason to believe it's not him.Is there anybody who have an other interpretation of it? i did try to talk with thor pinass but he does'nt talk english.Can somebody try to reach him and ask question for me.There is the phone number on the site. Questions:is there a place to look at,where we could find which boat those three men embarqued.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest stefan gagnon

The good way to find him is to find the boat they been working on.Is there possible to find somewhere where Josefsen et Olsen did signed to be mariners?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Møller Nordby

I think that theire names might be listed in one of 'Kristiania and Drammen innrulleringsdistrikters' mønstringsruller (Seamen's rolls). The answer will be in one of these lists:-----FredrikshaldFredrikstadSarpsborgSonMossDrøbakKristianiaDrammenHolmestrandHortenTønsbergSandefjordLarvik-----Sjømannsrullene (Seamen's rolls)are kept in Statsarkivet. Read more about the rolls here Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Møller Nordby

Contact and locations Lenke-----Statsarkivet i OsloFredrikshald, Fredrikstad, Sarpsborg, Son, Moss, Drøbak and Kristiania-----Statsarkivet i KongsbergDrammen, Holmestrand, Horten, Tønsberg, Sandefjord and Larvik-----

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Stefan gagnon

He had 8 childrens here in Canada Robert Henry Johnny Herman Mari-Rose Antoinette Thomas Juliette P.S. I own a picture of Hendry and his Wife,he was about 40 years old.I could send it

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

According to this: http://www.pinaas.no/slekt/alexander.htmYou have this family:Maren Julie Johansdatter born, 19. June 1844, Lundestad, Tune, dead 1924 (Probably in Tune). She was married to Robert Anton Hansen, born 20 Mar 1866, Tune Krk, dead 2 Jan 1910. (Probably in Tune). He was at sea 1866-1868, 1871, worker in 1873, at sea 1875.Children:1. Hilda Marie – born 1867, Næs, Rolvsøy, dead 1868.2. Rikard Marensisus, born 1871, unmarried 1891. Dead at sea.3. Inga Marie born 1873 in Tune4. Johan Alfred born 1875, Tune, dead . ca 1877.5. Johan Alfred born 1878. Went to America. 6 Children.6. Anna Marie born 1880, dead 1973. Married in Norway to xx Klasen. No children.7. Karla Ludveski, born 18848. Ragna Margrethe, born 1887. Went to America, 7 children.9. Jacobine Kaspara, born 1890.10. Henrik, born 2. nov 1868, Næs, Rolvsøy, baptism 22. Nov 1868, Tune Church. Dead at sea. These children would all be called Robertson according to Norwegian naming traditions. The theory is that # 10. Henrik, is your great grandfather. Henry Robertson. It is said on the internet site that he was dead at sea. I just talked on the phone to Thor Pinaas who made the internet-site. He said that he had never seen it written anywhere in any source, that Henrik really died at sea. But he had heard this from relatives. Which means that it is possible that Henrik never died at sea, but that the relatives back in Norway assumed that he did. Another possibility is that Henrik´s parents knew that he was in Canada, but that the relatives that later talked to Thor Pinaas didn`t.If I were you, I would check the death records the “Lensmannsprotokollen” from Tune for Maren Julie Johansdatter when she dies in 1924 and the same “Lensmannsprotokollen” from Tune when Robert Anton Hansen dies 2 Jan 1910. These records will probably say which children/grandchildren of the deceased that still is alive. If it was known to the parents that Henrik was in Canada, this will maybe be written in the “Lensmannsprotokollen” for Tune in 1910 and/or 1924.But again. Maybe Henrik´s parents never knew that he jumped the ship. Or maybe this Henrik is not your man anyway. But I would definitely work more on this theory. Just a little “game” ??Assume that Henrik is “your man”......He has 8 children in Canada.1. Robert (Named after his father)2. Henry3. Johnny4. Herman5. Mari-Rose (Named after his mother Maren. Maren and Mari was the same name).6. Antoinette (Named after his father, Robert ANTON)7. Thomas8. Juliette (Named after his mother Maren JULIE) Good luck !

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Stefan Gagnon

Which way I can verify in the`SEAMEN'S ROLLS` ? Is there somebody in Norway who can ask for informations in those registers? I can't afford a trip in Norway for many years and would like to resolve the mistery before my grand mother past away.She is 80,and i promess to find out about her grand fathers one of these day.Is Those SEAMEN'S ROLLS available by mail or anyway else ? Three men from the same area climbed aboard a boat in a specific office and specific district between 1885-1890.They been working a couple years on that boat.tank you to the helpfull peoples on that mervellous site !!!Stef from snowy(pretty soon) Québec,Canada

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tom Askerøi

Hi Stef. No, I don't think you'll have to go to Norway to find out about those Seaman's Rolls. In post (14) above there is a 'Contact and locations' link. There you find the adresses to the state archivs - even e-mail adresses.Write to them, stating all you know about the three men. They will answere. It may take some time - maybe weeks - but they will answere. I recommend old fashioned 'snail-mail', but three or four letters is (still) much cheaper than a trip...

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Stefan Gagnon

Hi Askeroi ! As you can read my new post,I never mentionned anyting about the men from Tune. But peoples keep me going that way !I did send e-mail to Seamens Roll Register last night specaly about the two companions,Josefsen and Olsen.I got their name and family,and the place they come from,So I believe and assume that path is the best way to work it. All I must find is that boat that I can't identify among thousand others. I been searching 5 long years for that boat. I owned a list of about 200 sailing boats that came here in my town of 150 000 peoples,10 000 at that time. Chicoutimi is the only fyord in north america,I guess that's why thoses three men choosed to lived here and married three sisters.I'll send more letters and e-mail and somedy somewhere will respond interesting things,I HOPE SO ! Tanks YOU !Stefan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tom Askerøi

Hi to you, too, Stef. I've been watching this debate - hoping you'd get the right help.I see why people are coming back to this Tune guy - his name and birth fits perfect. His death at sea doesn't fit quite as good. If he, along with three other men disaappeared in an american harbour / close to the american shore it would have been commented / speculated in the family. There would be a more or less fanciful story running in the family. They wouldn't 'forget' him as presumed dead as sea...And the naming his children after his parents thing is cleverly made up - but beware: Naming after parents etc wasn't that common at this late stage. And it seems strange twice naming after his mother and none after his mother-in-law. But of course there still is a chance...But - for you other helpers - I would like to point out, like I did in the other debate, that people living in major seaport towns at this time quite often took their father's patronymicon as surname. Stef's Henrik could just as well be son of a Robertsen as of a Robert. I even found a possible candidate:LenkeDoes anyone know anything more about him?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Stefan Gagnon

I found something today in the chicoutimi census of 1901. Hendry signed Harry Robertsen and said he was 28 and borned the 4 of April. It does not fit whith 4 documents he signed a couple years ago. One when he married and also when he signed an abjuration to change lutherien to catholic. The first document he signed was in June 1891 in a census of Tadoussac,fishing town 60 miles from here. He said he was 23 and when he pronounce his name they wrote Harry Robertsen. To his wedding in july 1893, he said he was 25 and signed Hendry Robertsen In 1894 when he became catholic,he said 26 and signed Henry Robertsen. and now he said 4 april 1872 and 28 in 1901 and signed Harry Robertsen. Memory is not one of his quality,or he just forgotAnyway why he said 4 April,maybe 1872 is wrong,but 4 April might be his real birthdayIt's just speculation,but it deserve to look further. By By

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tom Askerøi

When a guy lives 25 years at one place without leaving any trace of his background he must either be of the extremely silent kind or he had something to hide...? Getting away from one's past and getting a new start was, for some, the main reason for going to the new world...This new information strengthen my believe his name wasn't Henry/Henrik/Harry Robertsen at all. Maybe it's as simple as his first name being Harald (could easily be transcribed as Harry) or Håkon or something else which couldn't be pronounced in english. But it could also be Knut or Nils or whatever if he really wanted to hide from his past.Though there were people in Norway called Robert and Robertsen, it's not a typical norwegian name - more british. It could very well be an 'americanish' construction for something unpronouncable, though I can't figure out what. Or, again, a completely new name to hide behind.I too think your best chance is finding the boat the two comrades skipped from and thereby finding the name of the third guy, assumably your Harry/Hen(d)ry/Henrik Robertsen...Untill we have his original norwegian name I'm afraid anything else will just be guessing - unless we happen to find a norwegian escaping story simular to yours.I sincerely hope they find the boat at the Statsarkivet...

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Stefan Gagnon

I agree whith you and I too believe his real name can be different of what he said or signed. Somewhere there is a boat whith all the response! I hope someone will find the truth! I'll be patient!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Stefan Gagnon

P.S. Canada with 30 000 000 and United State are 300 000 000 ,all english peoples. But in Québec, Canada , there is 7 000 000 peoples talking french

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.