Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#24698] BARK MAGDALENE-1890 Fredrickstad to Canada

Gjest Stefan Gagnon
 Del

Gjest Stefan Gagnon

Is Anybody knowing something about BARK MAGDALENE-1890.That boat came in sept.1890 on Saguenay river to Chicoutimi,Canada. It could be MAGDALENA but not sure,Magdalena is a older boat. I think! Stef

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
Gjest Anne Marie Sandhaug

What kind of information do you want? I have a book called 'Fredrikstadskuter på de syv hav' (in english something like 'Vessels of Fredrikstad on the seven seas'. Magdalena is mentioned several places, but no picture. It says she was build in Hamburg (germany) 1854, and wrecked outside Hvaler (small group of islands south in Norway) 1898. There are also some information about the ownership and the captains. I could try to translate it if that is the kind of information you want.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Møller Nordby

Here's another link Lenke from a databse called '....DATABASE OF SHIP COLLISIONS WITH ICEBERGS Brian T. Hill....'-----DATE - POSITION - DESCRIPTION OF INCIDENT - LIVES LOST/INJURED DAMAGE6 May 188545°N 47°WBark MAGDALENA hit a berg Unknown Abandoned-----15 Apr 189043°50'N 39°37’Wfrom New York to LiverpoolBark MAGDALENA hit a berg at 10:30 pmCrew picked up by SS UmbriaBadly damaged and abandoned next day

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Møller Nordby

I found the ice chart for april 1890 (!!!) which states where Magdalena hit an iceberg Lenke '.... Apr 16 Bark 'Magdalena' 44o40'N 39oW collided with a berg and was abandoned. (#93)......'

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Stefan Gagnon

The bark Magdalene was in Chicoutimi 22 sept. 1890 and can't be that same boat called Magdalena abandonned in april after collided with iceberg. The girl called Anne Marie Sandhaug, from Fredrikstad can maybe give us a lot of info in her book called 'Fredrikstadskuter på de syv hav' She could probably translate it for us !Pleassssse !Stefan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Stefan Gagnon

The bark was called Magdalene rathen then Magdalena,but maybe the name was badly transcripted and peoples changed the A for an E. But on seamen roll of Robertsen there is Magdalene with a E and the same in the port of chicoutimi in sept. 1890Stefan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Anne Marie Sandhaug, from Fredrikstad  AND STEFAN

here it comes: From the book 'Fredrikstadskuter på de syv hav'.Author: Knut W. Engebretsen. Page 352 The Schooner Magdalena (276 t.) build in Hamburg 1854, was the third ship C.A. Hansen took over in the year 1886. When he died, Mr. Schübeler took over the management. Svend Johnsen from Lisleby (in Fredrikstad) was the captain of the ship. Magdalena wrecked near Homlongen near by Skjærhalden in 1898. Page 558 Bark Magdalena (276 t) build in Hamburg (Steinwärder) 1854 was the fourth and last of those ships Rolfsøen disposed. This ship too was bought in 1873, from Kristiansund. The ship later was in sailmaker C.A. Hansen’s shipping company and was active until it wrecked nearby Homlongen in 1898. Magdalenas captain was Hans Sandersen when Rolfsøen owned the ship.Page 583 Bark Magdalena (276t.) build in Hamburg (Steinwärder) 1854 was another of the early “sailmaker-vessels”. Formallly it belonged to a limited company. Magdalena had in earlier days belonged in Kristiansund og was then a good and fastsailing vessel , which among other things sailed in the White Sea loaded with timber. Magdalena was later rebuild to a schooner. It was at Shübeler’s disposal when it wrecked nearby Homlongen, Hvaler Dec. 12th 1898. Magadalena had pilot on board when she came sailing loaded with coal against Homlongen, but the pilot unfortunately mistook a sign. Magdalena sailed on shore so violently that she sank in a short time, and the hull was broken down by the heavy sea in a few days. The captain was at that time Svend Johnsen from Lisleby. He was born 1849, got his sertificate in 1873 and had been the captain of Magdalena since 1876, except from the years 1881-84 when he was the captain of brigg Ellida. The captain himself owned a great share in Magdalena. Other co-owners were Lauritz Johnsen, Lisleby and Anders Ek, Onsøy.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Stefan Gagnon

Hello ! I love going to the mail box and find letters from Norway !Yesterday morning was a day to remember for me. I reveived from Norsk Sjofartsmuseum the entire story of Magdalena from Fredrikstad and a ***PICTURE*** I will scann it later for all of you ! There is no word that can explane the feeling I,m having !Once again, I am amazed and grateful for the work done on this site ! I have new friends now !I hope one day visit my ancestor's childhood place !From snowy Canada Stef

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.