Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#25645] Lewis John Johnson, born Oct. 21, 1871 in Stavanger, Norway

Gjest Moira Bue
 Del

Does anyone have access to the church records for Lewis Johnson? I was hoping that the baptismal records would give information on his parents. I don't know if Lewis changed his name on coming to the USA but I thought that the name together with the exact birth date might reveal something. Lewis emigrated to the United States in 1898. He died in Willmar, MN April 7, 1964. I've been trying to find out why there are no census records for 1875 for Stavanger but can't find this information. Was 1875 just a partial census? Thanks in advance, moira bue

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per Harald Jonson

I have no info about Lewis, but thought I could answer your question about the 1875 census.The census was not partial, but is only registered for parts of Norway. The original papers should be available in 'Statsarkivet i Stavanger' (if Lewis was in Stavanger in 1875...)Regards, Per Harald

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Alexander Lange

In the Ellis Island records it appears that he is heading for his uncle in Roland, Iowa. I cannot quite make out his uncle's name, but it might be a start?Hope this [url="http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?MID=10187516410247372448&FNM=L&LNM=JOHNSON&PLNM=JOHNSON&CGD=M&SYR=1898&EYR=1898&bSYR=1870&bEYR=1872&first_kind=1&last_kind=0&town_kind=0&ship_kind=0&RF=1&PID=602940120018>Lenke works... On the same Ellis Island ship manifest, you can find a Bengt M. Bennes, 38 years old. This is probably the same as Bernt M Bennes leaving Bergen here:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Grete  Jøraas

If Laurits is the correct Norwegian name for your Lewis, there was a Laurits Johansen born Aug 22 1881 at Rennesoey (a small island close to Stavanger) who emigrated in 1898 from Stavanger, destination unknown. Hope this can help. Regards Grete Jøraas

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Møller Nordby

Or .....could Lauritz be the same as Lauritz from Søndeland in Tysvaer born about 1863 LenkeHe's John Berdinesen's son from his first marriage. Either the boy died and they later named another Lauritz John, or he ain't the right person at all.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thanks for all the help. The details for Lewis Johnson here in the USA are given below. My friend asked me to research this because I am fluent in Norwegian. If I order the records from the LDS archives (there's a library here in Leesburg) is there anything I should know about the church records for Stavanger? If I'm quick I may even be able to get his death certificate from Minnesota giving his parents names; the bush administration is in the process of introducing legislation to close all records for security reasons!....... After spending some time yesterday after golf looking through obituaries etc. I am sure I have found enough information for you to look up my grandfather's genealogy.Lewis John Johnson, born Oct. 21, 1871 in Stavanger, Norway Married Ingeborg Marie Vage on March 26, 1903 in Elmore, MN by Rev. O.P. SvengenIngeborg (later known as Marie Waage), was born on Bomlo Island, near Haugesund, Norway on March 22, 1877Lewis emigrated to the United States in 1898. He died in Willmar, MN April 7, 1964Marie emigrated to the United States in 1899. She died in Willmar, MN October 3l, 1958

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Alexander Lange

Lauritz Søndalands birth date (post 11) does not match the one Moira has information on, and it does not match the Ellis Island records.It looks like you have to find either the 1875 census or the church records and go from there.I tried looking for the uncle in the Roland 1895 census, but I could not find a name that looks like the one scribbled down on the Ellis Island Records. There are, however, quite a few Norwegians in Roland in 1895. The census is online here: Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Yes, I have to go on the birth date as it is definitely known. I thought that if I looked at the birth records for Stavanger for that date it might be the key that I needed. However, I cannot find these records online. The family here in the States is well known. Lewis came to the States to his uncle in Roland, Iowa. The uncle's name was I. (Iver?) Kvam (Quam?)and these two families remained close. They bought land in Minnesota and settled there. The 1930 census shows both families on the same page indicating that the farms were probably adjacent. The problem is finding the family links back to Norway. My friend's grandmother's family has been traced but not Lewis. I have ordered a copy of his death certificate which should give his father's name - the outline indicates that his mother's maiden name is unknown but perhaps it gives her first name. I certainly appreciate all the help provided and will update you on my research, many thanks moira

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Gunleif Seldal

St. Petri congregation, Stavanger: Lauritz Johan Adolf born Oct. 21, baptized Nov. 11, 1871. Parents: Laborer Lars Johannessen (b. 1833) and wife Gjertine Sivertsdatter (b. 1835) (Married 1855)The 1875 census for Stavanger shows that Lars was born in Nærstrand (Nedstrand) parish, and 'Gjertoud' was born in Sand parish.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.