Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#26053] Johannes Christopherson (1833) - from Årstad, Bergen to Chicago, IL -his family?

Gjest Lars E. Øyane
 Del

Gjest Lars E. Øyane

Johannes Christopherson, born at Årstad, Bergen Mar. 7, 1833, was married in Bergen Apr. 19, 1863 to Ingeborg Olsdotter (Hillestad), born in Hafslo parish, Luster Apr. 19, 1832. This couple lived for a few years in Bergen, but emigrated in 1868. I believe they are the family that I find living in Chicago, Cook Co., IL in 1870:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Christopherson, Johannes 36 Nor day-laborerChristopherson, Ingert 37 Nor wifeChristopherson, Olaf 1 WI~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I don't find them in 1880, unless Johannes is the John Christofersen (46), brick mason, who then has a new wife Catherine (33) and two small children, Emma (2) and Frank (7 mos), living in Cicero, Cook Co., IL? Emma was a common naming for Ingeborg!At any rate, I do find an Olaf in 1900 who may very well be Johannes and Ingeborg's son:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Christopherson, Olaf 31 (born Sep. 1868) WI WI WI ?store-keeper? (hard to read!), married five yearsChristopherson, Lotta 38 (born Apr. 1862) Swe Swe Swe wife, married 5 years, no children~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I find the marriage in Cook Co., IL on Aug. 17, 1895 of Olaf C. Christopherson and Lotten Carlson.Then I fail to find them in 1910 or 1920, but in 1930 I find this houseowner on 1449 Roscoe Street in Chicago, IL:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Christopherson, Olaf 62 WI Nor Nor Wd postal-clerk~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~There are two Olaf Christophersons who died in Cook Co, IL between 1916 and 1950:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Olaf Christopherson, died in Bremen, Cook Co., IL Apr. 14, 1922Olaf C. Christopherson, died in Chicago, Cook Co., IL Oct. 16, 1947~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I presume the latter one is the right one...?Now I hope that someone can help me fill in more details about this family of Johannes Christopherson's, his wife(-ves) and children, such as death dates and appearances in other census records!?Thanks a million in advance for your wonderful assistance!Very sincerely yours,Lars E. Oyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

I'll do some lookups next week; Olaf has no kids, it seems, he is at Rosehill, perhaps you will call--they should have others. John/Emma is in FS, 1880, as Cristophamon(sic) -- believe it or not!! Emma lives in 1920 with John, her son, who is single; did not look at 1930, perhaps you will find him. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Meant to type 1900, not 1920; John, born 6/1871 lives with Emma on Townsend--her age is off by 2 years, she has 2 of 2 living, and is a widow. Roger. ...did not see him in 1910/20. Emma lives with Olof/Lottie in 1920 at age 88. Same address.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Lars E. Øyane

Thank you very much, Roger, for interesting additional information about this Christopherson family which I didn't discover until yesterday!I was trying this afternoon to consult the Illinois State Death Index to look for Ingeborg/Emma's death record, but somehow it seems to be inaccessble. However, I did find Olaf and Lotta in the 1910 census, although she is called Jossie and their ages are several years off! I also found Emma in the 1910 census! She is called Ingaborg Christofferson (76) and is still listed with her son John (38), single! John is said to be a selector of something, but I cannot decipher it!?May we assume that John died sometime between 1910 and 1920?I am not familiar with the Rosehill cemetery, and from where I am now (in Germany), I hesitate calling the US. Maybe you could give them a buzz? Or should I wait until I'm back in Norway in January?By the way, Olaf Christopherson's probate record would be particularly interesting if it's true that he had no children and his brother died single before him! He had several cousins that I could never locate!Thanks again, Roger, for your brilliant assistance in this matter, and Good Luck in your continued research efforts!Very sincerely yours,Lars E. Oyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Are you using Ancestry? (i can access only at a library) I use Hertiage(at home)---and they have different errors! There are Johns in 1916&1924; Inger in 1914(wrong age, but she might have 'become younger'), Ingleborg in 1921, and Charlotta(lotten) in 1926. The probate might cost $9 for an index lookup and then maybe that again for copy costs. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
Gjest Roger Thauland

I'll send 4 d/c's in a few minutes; the 1883 John at 61(perhaps an error) in the IL index might be John, (the older)-i will look at that next time; perhaps her parents were John/Christina? I think not, per FS info; this was the only one close; so perhaps they left Il? Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Lars E. Øyane

Thank you very much, Roger, for the death certificates that you sent me off-line. I have studied them all, and as far as I can determine, they all ''match'', even Ingeborg! Her mother was Kirsti, and Ingeborg, as well as all of the others, were buried at Rose Hill cemetery. Maybe John Sr. is buried there as well?Thanks again, Roger, for more brilliant research!Very sincerely yours,Lars E. Oyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

The 1883 John has an error; i did not look at him closely as the indexed age was wrong at 61; but then finally did a lookup and found a different person; so checked the fiche and it agreed with cyberdrive; so asked CR for her advice; she asked if i looked at the inquest database, i said --huh--why? --she said-- just do it(she is the expert here) -- and i said your right -- he has a coroners inquest d/c, but dated 1893! So somebody goofed the index date; he died at 61 in 1893. But no film here; so we await the film; will be at least a month. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Lars E. Øyane

Thanks again, Roger, for more interesting facts! If John was 61 when he died in 1893, his age is a very close ''match'', so chances are good he's the one!? I'll be waiting anxiously to learn what the film has to offer...Very sincerely yours,Lars E. Oyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.