Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#26054] Thompson family in Skottsgaard

Gjest Pat Holling
 Del

Gjest Pat Holling

Anyone know where Skottsgaard would be located? Martin Thompson died in Canada 25 Dec 1919 His death certificate states his father's name was Thorsden Thompson and his mother's name was Mary Martin. all born in Norway. Territory Of Dakota, County of Cass records for the United States shows Martin Thompson and a brother Hans Thompson both emigrated in 1866 and came through the Port of Detroit. The obituary for Martin Thompson states he was born in Skottsgaard Norway. It would appear that they came as children with their parents... The birth year for Martin Thompson is between 1855 - 1860 depending on what document or census record you are looking at. I tried the 1860 census for a farm named Skottsgaard but did not find one ... I also tried for a Thorsden Thompson but did not located the name either.... Any ideas? Skottsgaard was found in Martin's obituary... the information must have been supplied by his wife Helga who met Martin in North Dakota. So the information may very well be incorrectly given by Helga. Also the parents names would have been supplied by Helga for his death record.Martin & Helga named their children:Harry Morris Thompson Lillian Therece Thompson Esther Sylvia Thompson Myrtle Hazel Thompson Ayle Dora Thompson Martin Ray ThompsonNone of these names appear in Helga's family line Perhaps in Martins line somewhere.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Berit Knudsen

There are 2 farms with the name Skodtgaard in Røros (S-Trøndelag) in 1865, and 1 Skotgaard in Agerø (Møre & Romsdal). But not the people you are looking for.The name of the parents could be: T(h)orste(i)n T(h)omasen and Marie/Marit Mart(h)insdatter. The last name of the children Torstensen/T(h)orsteinsen.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Stein Eriksen

Kan dette være Martin og Helga: fra FS: Martin THOMPSON (AFN:266Q-JV) Pedigree Born: 1863 Place: Olso, Norway Died: Dec 1919 Place: Buried: Place: Holdfast, Sach., Canada Married: 16 Jul 1903 Place: , Case County, Nd Father: Mother:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Wife's Name Helga HANSON (AFN:266Q-HP) Pedigree Born: 15 Jul 1880 Place: Toten, Norway Christened: 15 Jul 1981 Place: Toten, Norway Died: 13 Nov 1955 Place: Buried: Place: Portland, , Or Married: 16 Jul 1903 Place: , Case County, Nd Father: Hans HENDRICKSON (AFN:BMR5-0P) Family Mother: Lina OLSON (AFN:BMR5-1V)Kan Skottsgaard være Slottsgaade ?...siden det er i Oslo ....jeg finner dem forøvrig ikke i Slottsgaade.Stein.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjellaug Robberstad Petit

Just discovered that it was you yourself who'd set that up -:) Well, this seems to be the needle in the haystack.They must have been too young to emigrate alone these two brothers, so their parents no doubt emigrated too. Are you sure they did not emigrate before the 1865 census?Kjellaug

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Peter Wiborg

Just to confirm #5 and #6, Martin Thompson and Helga Hanson got married on July 16, 1903 according to Cass County (N.D.) Marriage License Index.Both Hans and Martin Thompson was naturalized on June 26, 1882, according to the North Dakota Naturalization Records Database.His brother (?) Hans Thompson (30) lives with his wife Caroline (29) and son Walter (7 months) according to the Dakota Territory 1885 Census Database. Caroline is born in Norway, Walter is born in Dakota.LenkeJan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pat Holling

The emigration date came from copies of the naturalization papers that I have in my files. It states they emigrated May 1866 ..Yes, Helga did marry a 2nd time. Martin Thompson was her first husband... he died on Christmas day in 1919 and Helga married 2nd to Hans Arneson.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Perhaps of little help, but I found a hotel manager called Martin Thompson in the ship lists from the harbour of Oslo ( Lenke ). The age seem to fit well. Obviously a visit to his home land in 1904.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjellaug Robberstad Petit

I can't find any family in Oslo where there are both a Martin and a Hans in 1865.I've checked all Martins beginningt with a 'T' in Oslo.LenkeIn this family we find the mother with a middle name Marie and the father with an appropriate name. No Hans though, unless Teodor was changed into Hans.If Martin didn't emigrate with his parents, his brother must have been old enough to take care of him.With a lot of imagination 'Strandgaade' could even become something close to 'Skotdgaard'Kjellaug

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pat Holling

Martin should have been older then 1 yr during the 1865 census though. Perhaps they left Norway before the 1865 census was taken.. The naturalization record stated he entered the United States in the year 1866 the month of May.. perhaps they went to Canada first then came the the united states.... that would explain why the family can not be found in the 1865 census for Norway..... ?????

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.