Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#26065] Louis Nelson (born WI 1874) - a vaudeville actor in Chicago and New York - bio?

Gjest Lars E. Øyane
 Del

Gjest Lars E. Øyane

Ole Nelson from Hafslo in Sogn (1835-1908) and Ingeborg Lassesdotter from Leikanger in Sogn (1839-1925), residents of Dane and Mt. Horeb, Dane Co., WI, had several children, including:* Henry Louis Nelson, also known as Louis H. Nelson or Louis C. Nelson(!), was born at Dane in Dane Co., WI Sep. 18, 1874, but was confirmed at Mt. Horeb, Dane Co., WI in 1892.Prior to 1900 Louis moved to Chicago, IL where he appears in the 1900 census as Henry Nelson, artist, born Sep. 1876 WI Nor Nor, single. He seems to ''hide'' in later censuses, but he does appear in various Chicago city directories:1900--Louis H. Nelson--artist--bds 7042 Princeton1903--Louis Nelson--actor--bds 15 Clark1904--Louis C. Nelson--actor--h 326 Clark1915--Louis Nelson--actor--548 Clark1923--Louis Nelson--actor--r 517 N ClarkSo, although he moved, he didn't move very far! Maybe his ''place of work'' was on Clark Avenue?We don't know exactly how long Louis stayed in Chicago, but by 1936 we know that he had moved to New York City, NY where he was still living at the time of his brother James O. Nelson's death at East Point, GA in December of 1948.Members of James Nelson's family in Georgia have told me about ''uncle Louis from New York'' who attended James' funeral, and they referred to him as ''the vaudeville actor''! They never heard of him being married, so he most likely never did(?); however, we are still very interested in finding out what became of this actor of Sogning background and hope that readers of the Digital Archives can help us find out more!?Very sincerely yours,Lars E. Oyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

I've not found him either, might be traveling a 'circuit' and omitted; or was a 'day sleeper' and just did not answer the census taker? Here is a small clue and a longshot...is a picture available? A film short from 1919 has a Louis Nelson; it was the only credit for this fellow; although 2 others(in the film) have many...so was it made in Chicago?? perhaps, as many where. The name was Brownie's Doggone Tricks...first of a series 'starring' this dog; it is 'R' rated!! About the census: determine the ED and 'walking the set' (ed) becomes possible--helpful to have very fast access. That address should be near Grand av.--close to many loop/near north theaters. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

ps--i've asked the CPL for whatever they can find; perhaps an email to NYC PL might find something---maybe they can guess which labor union he should have joined and have suggestions about how to follow up. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Lars E. Øyane

Thank you Roger for interesting messages. I am happy that you found a reference to a movie where Louis participated. I wonder what kind of a figure he played? What does ''R''-rated mean?Unfortunately, I have no snap-shot of Louis, but I am sure his only surviving niece in Georgia would recognize him from the movie...In your latest message you use a couple of abbreviations with which I am notv familiar, CPL and NYC (New York City) PL. Maybe you could try to contact that place in NYC for me?Thanks again for your great assistance!Very sincerely yours,Lars E. Oyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Peter Wiborg

R-rated means Restricted. Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guarding.In practical terms, R could mean nudity, strong violence, bad language, drug use, or adult situations...Jan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.