Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#26216] Junes Family in Norway

Gjest Mike Junes
 Del

Gjest Mike Junes

I am looking for my Finnish relatives who emigrated to Vadso, Norway in @ 1862. My Great Grandfather Born in 1856 has 2 names - Eugenia Junes which is what shows when he left Norway for the US in 1890 and Olof Junes which is what he shows up in all the US records. I think his fathers name was Erick or Eric Junes.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nils Johan Fosli

Eugenia is a female first name, she must be Olof's wife. The emigration record for Trondheim harbour also list her as a woman, traveling with her three sons, Hjalmar, Emanuel and Alfred. The tickets are paid in America. Probably Olof traveled first and then paid the tickets for his family. Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Odd Villy Ovesen

The US 1900-census states the following:Runeberg Township, Becker County, Minnesota:Olof Junes, head, born Nov 1856, Finland (married for 10 years)Emma E, wife, born Aug 1858, Finland (married for 10 years)John, son, born Dec 1880, NorwayMaria E, daughter, born Jul 1880, FinlandAndrew E, son, born Sep 1884, NorwayHilda, daughter, born Sep 1885, MinnesotaAlfred A, son, born Aug 1887, NorwayIsrael, son, born Feb 1891, MinnesotaThe census also states that Emma E and Maria E immigrated in 1881 while the rest of the family immigrated in 1888.The only way I can explain the various info, is by saying that Emma was a widow when she married Olof about 1890, and that Maria E and Hilda are Emma’s children from a former marriage.John must be Hjalmar in the Norwegian emigrant lists, Andrew E must be Emanuel and Alfred A is Alfred. If they are born in Vadsø, I’ll find them in the Vadsø churchbooks. There I should be able to find more info about their mother too. But if my theory is correct, then Eugenie must have died shortly after arriving in the US.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nils Johan Fosli

I found the family in the 1895 Census for Runeberg Township, Becker County., Minnesota. The names are americanized but it must be the right family.Junes, Olaf 37 M Finlnd Junes, Emma 36 F Finlnd Junes, Maria 14 F Finlnd Junes, Jalmar 13 M Norway Junes, Andrew 11 M Norway Junes, Hilda 10 F Minn. Junes, Alford 7 M Norway Junes, Israel 4 M Minn. Junes, William 3 M Minn.The oldest child, Maria is 14 years and born in Finland. Hjalmar (Jalmar) is 13 and born in Norway. That fits with your information about the family emigrating to Vadsø in 1862.Emma is probably a nick or Americanication for Eugenia. The age in the records differs some.Jalmar = Hjalmar Emanuel = Andrew (?) Alfred = AlfordLenkeNils

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nils Johan Fosli

I think Odd Villy is right about the second marriage.That explains why Maria is born in Finland (1880)and Hilda in Minnesota (1885) It's also explaines why the ages and names of Eugenia and Emma don't fit.Nils

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mike Junes

Thank you all for your kind notes - I had the information on the departure from Norway but never put together the name as a female! A copy of his naturalization papers dated Oct 31, 1896 says he arrived in the US at Saulte Ste Marie in October of 1890, some months after he left Norway. I agree with Odd Villy, I had come to the same conclusions on the boys and also the girls. Emma's death certificate shows her name as Emma Erika Niska with her fathers name as John. I looked for her in Finland records and the only one I found was a Nutaniska with the same birth date. Is there anything I am missing in finding Olof leaving Norway? Why don't I see the family in any census data? Thx, Mike

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mike Junes

To Odd Villy: How did you find the 1900 census information? Using Ancestry.com I can find Olof only in 1910 and 1930. Emma can be found in 1920, but with only three boys. Thx, Mike

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Odd Villy Ovesen

Info from Vadsø churchbooks:Married 5 Oct 1880 Olaf Eriksen Sillanpää born 20 Aug 1857 in Torneå and Eugenie Josefine Meti born 22 Nov 1859 in Vadsø. His father: Erik Hansen. Her father: Isak MetiEugenie in Vadsø 1865 census (as Josephine): [url="http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste.aspx?ft=1865&knr=2003&kenr=000&bnr=0017&lnr=00>LenkeEugenie in Vadsø 1875 census: LenkeBorn 10 Dec 1880 chr. 20 Feb 1881 Johan Hjalmar. Parents Olaf Eriksen and wife Eugenie Josefine Meti.I found the family living at the Kola peninsula (in Russia) 1887/1888. A lot of Norwegian families moved over to Kola at that time (some lived partly in Finnmark and partly in Russia), and it seems to me that the Junes family has been moving around quite a lot.Olof has used many different surnames like Eriksen (Erkinpoika), Junes, Luukas, Sillanpää. In the US 1900 census I think his surname was spelt Jones.Here is the link to the Kola web page I referred to (it’s part of a Finnish Genealogical Web site) and it is really a list of Lutherans living on the Kola coast.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Odd Villy Ovesen

As you can see, Olof also used the name Heikinjuntti. That makes me believe that it his parents marriage I found on HISKI (Finnish churchbooks on internet):3.7.1847 Kemi Inh: Erik Hanss: Junes Bd:drn pig Sara Lisa Fredr:d:r Heikjuntti KaakamoErik Hansen is his father's name given when Olof married Eugenia and Kaakamo is the place where he is born (close to Torneå).Odd Villy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nils Johan Fosli

I found the birth record for Eric Hansson Junes in Lautiosaari, Kemi. He was born the 31.Mar.1819. The parents were Hans Junes and his wife Susanna. In the birthrecord that Odd Villy found in Nedre Torneä - Ylitornio, Eric is listed as being from Kemi.I also found the marriage record 04.Jul.1802 for Hans Ericsson Junes,Ilmola and Susanna Olofsdotter Mihkali. They had eleven children all born in Lautiosaari, Kemi. They were Maria Lisa 1803, Saara 1804, Lars 1806, Olof 1807, Anna Greta 1809, Cajsa Stina 1811, Susanna 1812, Catharina 1814, Johan 1816, Eric 1819 and Olof 1821. (Source: Hiski database) [url="http://www.genealogia.fi/hiski/frhjai?se+A19>http://www.genealogia.fi/hiski/frhjai?se+A19Pummanki (Pumangi) where Olof Junes and family lived in 1887 is called Bomannifjorden in Norwegian. A lot of the Finish population in Kola emigrated to America.'In a single year, 1882, not less than one-twelfth of all the Finns in Kola Lapland (numbering some 60 to 70) set sail for the New World; they included 34 from Pummanki, 10 from Vaitokupa, and an equal number from Uura.31 Already by 1879 there were over 450 Finns in the Cokato country of Minnesota, most of whom had come from the Arctic coast of Norway and Russia.'Finnish Overseas Emigration from Arctic Norway and Russia by John Ilmari Kolehmainen. http://www.genealogia.fi/emi/art/article276e.htmThe Petsenga area were Pummanki is located was for a shorter periode 1920-1945 a part of Finland. Here is a map that shows the location of Pummanki.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mike Junes

Thank you for all the information you have given to me - I could not have expected so much help from so far away - someday I will have to buy you a beverage! As I begin to put together all the information you have all given me there seems to birth dates that do not match for Olof and for Eugenie. The Vadso churchbooks do not match with the Kola dates. I show that Olof was born on 22 Nov 1856, the Kola dates are close to that, but Vadso if off more than a year, As is the birthdates for Eugenie. I guess the only way I can resolve some of these questions would be to see the actual documents and see if there was some error. I found some errors in the US census where Emma was incorrectly because the name below had a high loop on the d. The surnames are also hard to verify as the Finns seemed to have a habit of taking the name of the farm on which they were working. I have found this quite a lot on my mother's side of the family.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mike Junes

I have been in the web site - thanks. I have corresponded with Matti Junes in Rautiosaari hoping he could shed some lite on whether we are related or not. I plan to send him this link and see if he can tie some facts together. At this point we do not think we are related, but who can tell. Thx, Mike

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Odd Villy Ovesen

The most reliable sources for birthdates would be the christening records in the churchbooks. Unfortunately the churchbook for Vadsø township for the 1853-1872 time period is lost. However in Norway we had (and have) a baptism confirmation at the age of approx. 14-18 years and those were registered in the churchbooks.Here are the confirmation records for Eugenie and her elder sister Marie Christine:Conf. 13 Mar 1873 in Vadsø, Marie Christine Methi born 5 Apr 1858, chr. 11 Jul 1858Conf. 18 Mar 1874 in Vadsø, Eugenie Josephine Methi born 22 Dec 1859, chr. 18 Aug 1861I double-checked Eugenie’s marriage record and discovered that I had made a small mistake when I wrote ‘born 22 Nov 1859’, that should really be 22 Dec 1859. Accordingly the confirmation record and the marriage record birth dates match, and I would be pretty sure that those records have the correct birth date for Eugenie.For Olof you’ll have to get hold of the churchbooks for Nedre-Torneå (Alatornio), the churchbooks on internet for Alatornio stop at 1850.Odd Villy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 5 måneder senere...
Gjest Odd Villy Ovesen

When looking through churchbooks for Tromsø, I stumbled over this immigraton record (registered 1867):Given date: Oct 1865Names: Erik Hansen Sillanpä b.1819 and wife Sara Elisabeth Fredriksdr b.1823 and children Joan Erik b.1851, Anna Kaisa b.1852, Sara Amanda b.1855 and Olof b.1856.Reason for immigration: Earn a living by labour. (In paranthesis: Having thoughts about going to America).Immigrated from what place: Nedre Torneå.Present place of residence: TromsøCertificates presented: Certificate by Fr. Edw. Castrén 8 Mar 1865After having found this info, I made a search in the 1865-census and indeed I found the family in Tromsø: LenkeYrke (occupation): Dagarbeider. Grøftegravning (Day-worker. Ditch-digger)Odd Villy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.