Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#26355] Malena ''Lina'' Helquist (1856) and Lars Hansen (1854) from Sogndal to Chicago?

Gjest Lars E. Øyane
 Del

Gjest Lars E. Øyane

Lars Hansson Gurvin, aka Lars/Louis/Lewis Hansen, born in Sogndal Co., Norway Sep. 21, 1854, was married in Sogndal Co., Norway Nov. 22, 1877 to Malena Jensine aka Lina Helquist, born in Sogndal Co., Norway Apr. 14, 1856. This couple emigrated in 1880 with two sons:* Hans L. Hansen, born in Sogndal Co., Norway Dec. 24, 1877.* Christian L. Hansen, born in Sogndal Co., Norway June 29, 1879.The family apparently settled in Chicago, IL where I find this family in the 1930 census, residing as houseowner on 2436 Drake Avenue:~~~~~~~~~~Lina Hansen, widowed, 74 Nor Nor Nor, em. 1883,Jennie M. Hansen, dau, 42 IL Nor Nor~~~~~~~~~~The emigration year doesn't quite ''match'', but still I think this has to be ''our'' Lina!From a 1938 obituary we know that Lina Hansen was then still living in Chicago, IL, but no further information has so far been located.Any information leading to Lars and Malena and their family in America would be most welcome! Thanks a million in advanced!Very sincerely yours,Lars E. Oyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Hi Lars, am i correct in thinking you have not seen them in the 1900? If so, see Lone Hanson(quest index), 45; Hans has left the nest; but the other 9!!! are with Malena and Louis! I see Karl/carl at FS, born 29 aug 1881 -- 15 dec 1970 at North Chicago(slight date booboo); that should mean he was a WW1 vet; at the VA place, i suspose. 8 boys, 6 should register for WW1. but no more time just now; ancestry has IL complete; but some could have registered elsewhere or not at all if already in service. I will so some lookups next week. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Lars E. Øyane

Thanks to Grethe and Roger for interesting messages. While I already know the background of this family (Malena's mother came from Luster!), I am very pleased to see that you, Roger, managed to find the family in the 1900 census. Boy, have I ever searched for them!!!This is what the family looks like in 1900, renting a house on 9123 Superior Avenue in Chicago, IL:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~HANSON, Lone hoofer(?) Sep. 1855 Nor Nor NorHANSON, Malena wife Apr. 1856 Nor Nor Nor mar. 23 years 10 ch/10 livingHANSON, Christian son July 1879 Nor Nor NorHANSON, Carl son Aug. 1881 IL Nor NorHANSON, Bessie dau July 1883 IL Nor NorHANSON, James son Nov. 1885 IL Nor NorHANSON, Amil son Jan. 1888 IL Nor NorHANSON, Mable dau July 1891 IL Nor NorHANSON, George son Oct. 1893 IL Nor NorHANSON, Louie son Mar. 1895 IL Nor NorHANSON, William son Feb. 1898 IL Nor Nor~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Maybe you, Roger, or someone else, can help me interpret the husband's occupation - hoofer?There is no Jennie in this family, and further research of the 1910 census at ancestry.com reveal Jennie and her mother, who is then called Tina, rather than Lina, so that is apparently an entirely different family!However, I still fail to find 'my' Hanson/Hansen family in the 1910 or 1920 censuses. Maybe someone can help me? And, of course, I am still interested in the death dates, particularly of the parents!I notice that the Illinois death index does include several Lena Hansen/Hansons, but no way to know which one may be the right one, if any...!Thanks again for the great help to trace this ''elusive'' emigrant family!Very sincerely yours,Lars E. Oyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Lars E. Øyane

Thank you very much, Roger, for more ''leads'' about this family, including obituaries received offline!George L. Hansen, whose obituary appeared on Apr. 13, 1963, was indeed one of the children in this Hansen family. He was survived by (among others):Sister Bess Schau, who appears in the SSDI as Bessie Schau of Valparaiso, IN, born July 11, 1883, died Feb. of 1981.So, we're definitely on to something, but can you, Roger, figure out where George was buried...?Thanks again for your wonderful assistance in this matter!Very sincerely yours,Lars E. Oyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Lars E. Øyane

Roger, that brother of George's referred to as Leo must be Louis Hansen, born Mar. 19, 1895. He died in May of 1966, resident of Chicago, zip 60617. Can this lead to anything?Very sincerely yours,Lars E. Oyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

No obit online; (should be in the DN then) at least that i have ready access for; but from the 1910 city dir we have Chas, roofer; Christopher E, steel insp; Emil, craneman; and Malina, widow Louis; at 2707 E 93d. Christian may be Christopher, chas is usually charles; spelling was sort of optional, it seems. Hey..they were products of the Chicago public schools...hmmm..but so was the Mayor.. From the 1917..Lena, wid Lois; and Carl L., clk; at 6931 S Sangamon. So they were 'south-siders'. Did not see any ww1 registrations that matched; but i have not looked for married names. Jerome still lives in SLC, it seems--you might try contacting him. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Lars E. Øyane

Thank you very much, Roger, for more interesting information about the Hansen family, including the obituary for Malina Hansen from Sep. 16, 1941!Malina's obituary suggests that the ''family cemetery lot'' must have been at the Oak Hill cemetery at Hammond, IN, and maybe that's also where Malina died? She is nowhere to be found in the Illinois State Death Index!I don't find the reference you make to Rootsweb and ''Mr.'' Smith's posting of information about Bessie Schau, but I will write to him and see what he can come up with...! Another possibility will be to contact Jerome Hansen in Salt Lake City, UT!Thanks again, Roger, for your wonderful assistance tracing this Hansen family! Now I hope you have found the ''right'' Louis!?Very sincerely yours,Lars E. Oyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Lars E. Øyane

Roger, message arrived from Neil Smith. He is not directly related to Bessie Hansen Schau and has no further information to offer!But hopefully you have found the right death record for Louis Hansen?Thanks again for your great assistance!Very sincerely yours,Lars E. Oyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Yes, Louis is at OakHill, buried Sep 11, 1906; lived at 478 93th st, was ill for 18 months. Also found Christopher, he passed April 19, 1946, married to May, who was 63 then; he was a consulting engineer at RW Hunt Co. Lived at 7653 Coles ave. Buried Cedar Park in Calumet Park. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Lars E. Øyane

Thank you also, Roger, for sending me Louis Hansen's as well as Christopher Hansen's death certificates. I am particularly to see you found the ''right'' Louis and that he was indeed buried in the Oakhill cemetery at Hammond, IN.The most important question remaining about the Hansen family would now be the exact date and place of death of Malena Hansen!? Maybe we have to contact the cemetery for that?Thanks again, Roger, for all of your brilliant research!Very sincerely yours,Lars E. Oyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.