Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#26426] Elen Serine Abelsdatter Vorre to USA 1881

Gjest John Knudsen
 Del

Gjest John Knudsen

I am seeking any information about my maternal g-g-grandmother, Elen (Eli) Serine Abelsdatter Vorre, particularly following her departure from Norway in 1881.Elen Serine Abelsdatter was born to Abel Kristoffersen and Anna Marta Anensdatter at Vårå (Vaare, Vorre), Avaldsnæs in 1848. The 1865 Avaldsnæs census lists her living at Vorre with her parents, sister (Anna Marte Abelsdatter), and brother-in-law Nils Torsen. The 1900 Avaldsnæs census lists Elen Serine's daughter, Elen Torine (Nilsdatter) Søiland (b. 1868 d. 1938), and granddaughter, Nilla Amalia (Toresen) Søiland (b. 1887 d. 1974), living at Vaare with Elen Torine's husband, Ommond Johan Søiland, along with Nils Torsen and Anna Marta Abelsdatter.Elen Serine's departure from Norway is noted, thus far, in only two places. The bygdebok for Avaldsnæs marks her departure with a simple statement: 'Til USA 1881'. Emigrants from Stavanger contains two 1881 records for Eli Serine Abeldatter Vorre, but provides no specific departure information:[url="http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=STAV&gardpostnr=42790&merk=42790#ovre>Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Møller Nordby

Is this your gggrandmother? Are you familiar with her destiny or what?-----IGI Individual Record FamilySearchEllen Serena AbelsonBirth: 17 MAR 1850 Voro, , , NorwayDeath: 31 MAR 1928Father: Abel Christensen FamilyMother: Eunice Martin-----Submitter unknown

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Møller Nordby

All those names ........could this be her listed at Ancestry - New York Passenger Lists, 1851-1891-----Name: Sonnere AbelsoutterArrival Date: 9 Jun 1881Estimated Birth Year: 1850Age: 31Gender: FemalePort of Departure: Liverpool, England and Queenstown, IrelandDestination: United States of AmericaPlace of Origin: NorwayShip Name: AlgeriaPort of Arrival: New YorkLine: 40Microfilm Roll: 438List Number: 753-----Have you checked with the local churchbook in Vårå?To be honest I'm not quite sure if she travelled alone or together with (a man and) her children (Askild and Abel I think) ....., or maybe she's the wrong person.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest John Knudsen

Nina:Thanks for your reply.Ellen Serena Abelson: She's not my g-g-grandmother (parents were Abel Kristoffersen and Anna Marte Anensdatter).Sonnere Abelsoutter: seems like too great a variation in both names, but I'll look at the passenger list nonetheless.I have not yet searched the church book for post-1881 references to Elen Serine, partly because the Avaldsnæs bygdebok notes her 1881 departure to the States with such apparent finality.Family tradition is quite silent about Elen Serine Abelsdatter. I know no more of her than what appears in the Avaldsnæs bygdebok, 1865 census and Stavanger immigration records.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 år senere...
Gjest John Knudsen

March 17, 1850 7. Age: 78 years 0 months 14 days 8. Occupation of Deceased: at home 9. Birthplace (city or town): Vorree (State or Country) Norway 10. Name of Father: Abel Vorree Abelson 11. Birthplace of Father (city or town): Vorree (State or Country) Norway 12. Name of Mother: Martha Strand 13. Birthplace of Mother (city or town): Vorree (State or Country) Norway 14. Informant: Mrs. B.D. Olsen (P.O. Address) 22 Orleans St 15. Filed: 4/2 1928 Registrar: Geo. L. Preston (P.O. Address) Elliott , Illinois 16. Date of Death: Mar. 31st 1928 17. I HEREBY CERTIFY That I attended deceased from Sept. 12, 1927 to Mar 31, 1928 and that death occurred, on the date stated above, at 4:20 am. THE CAUSE OF DEATH was as follows: Chronic Myocarditis of unknown duration 18. Where was disease contracted? At home Was an operation performed? No What test confirmed diagnosis? Physical & Laboratory (Signed) A. L. Potts (Address) Gibson City, Ill. (Date) March 31, 1928 (Telephone) 127 19. Place of Burial: Loda Cemetery 20. Undertaker: W. S. Lamb (Address) Gibson City, Illinois 21. Apr. 2, 1928Thanks for any other hints you might have.Best, JK

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 måned senere...
Gjest John Knudsen

Nina: Belated thanks for your posting and apologies for my last. That's what I get for emailing in my sleep.Your Ellen Serena Abelson sighting on IGI seems to have been correct after all. I received marriage and death certificates from Ford County, IL, USA which refer back to Elen Serine's birth place (Våra, Avaldsnæs). My previous truncated posting is the latter part of her 1928 death certificate.I should not have been so quick to reject the name Eunice Martin in the IGI entry. It's quite possibly an American transliteration of Anna Marta , the name of Elen Serine's mother.I must also check the Algeria passenger manifest. After seeing so many name variations in these two records, I must now consider that Sonnere Abelsoutter might be an immigration inspector's best attempt at rendering Elen's name.Thanks again, JK

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.