Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#26501] Beattia Celia ''Beatrice?'' Sanderson (1881) - Sogning girl lost in Chicago??

Gjest Lars E. Øyane
 Del

Gjest Lars E. Øyane

Beattia Celia Sanderson, also known as Beatrice Sanderson, was born at Mt. Horeb, Dane Co., WI on Jan. 9, 1881, the daughter of Anders Christopherson ''Andrew C. Sanderson'' and Britha Johannesdotter ''Betsy Hillestad'', both natives of Hafslo parish in Luster Co., Norway.Beattia was confirmed at Mt. Horeb, WI in 1897 and still lived there in 1903, but later moved to Chicago, IL where she in 1917 is referred to as Miss Bettia C. Sanderson, a bookkeeper.Beattia only had one brother who was still alive in 1917: Melville Fernendo Sanderson, born at Mt. Horeb, WI Dec. 19, 1886. He is said to have been a ''professional soldier'' residing in Chicago, IL, where he later became a restaurant waiter. He died single in Chicago, IL Feb. 18, 1936 and was buried at Mt. Horeb, WI. His obituary from the Mt. HNoreb, WI newspaper says he was survived by a sister ''whose address is unknnown''!!I had a hope that I could locate a military draft record for Melville telling me of his closest next-of-kin Beattia's whereabouts at that time, but I have not managed to find any such record!So, my question remains: What became of Beattia C. Sanderson in Chicago??Any assistance will be most welcome!Very sincerely yours,Lars E. Oyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

There is a Bertha E. in 1939 that i can look up next month; it seems Mel was in the army by the 1910 census--so he will not have a draft card, those already serving were exempt. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Lars E. Øyane

Thank you, Roger, for your latest messages. I didn't either think Bertha E. Sanderson was the right one, so I had kind of ruled her out!Beattia/Beatrice is definitely NOT in the 1930 census under the Sanderson name, and there are too many possibilities if she was married and had a different name, as long as her place of birth doesn't show in the index at ancestry.com...However, I did find this marriage record:~~~~~~~~~~County: Marion, IndianaName: Mack JordanSpouse: Beatrice SandersonMarriage Date: 13 Dec 1923Book: 122Original Source Page: 631~~~~~~~~~~Maybe this Beatrice is not very likely, and still I don't find her in the 1930 census...Do you, Roger, have access to checking the Illinois marriage records (female index) between 1917 and, say, 1930?By the way, I should mention that Beattia Sanderson had an old single aunt in Chicago, IL: Mattie Sanderson, born in Hafslo, Norway June 7, 1839, worked from the 1860's as a housekeeper in a Yankee family at Shields, Lake Co., IL, but later ended up in Chicago, Cook Co., IL where she died at an old people's home on Dec. 22, 1932. May we hope there was a death notice or an obituary? Beattie would have been her closest ''next-of-kin''!! I haven't written down the name of the old people's home, but I presume they wouldn't have any records of ''inmates'' and their relatives that far back, or would they??Thanks again for your great assistance in this matter!Very sincerely yours,Lars E. Oyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

1932 is not yet online, at my source anyway. The marriage index is not yet available as far as i know--i can look into that next month; the Mattie d/c may just list the informant as the homes office records--i will check the film-then call--some maintain records about relatives for fund raising purposes(some directed to me). Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Lars E. Øyane

Thank you very much, Roger, for your latest message!I have looked back into some of my old correspondence regarding the Sanderson family and dicover that I once did receive an extract of Mattie Sanderson's death record. It shows that she was buried at the Oakwood cemetery in a lot owned by the old people's home where she lived! And Mattie does show in the 1930 census as an ''inmate'' of the old people's home located on 4724 Vincennes Avenue...And I notice I was partly mistaken as far as Melville Sanderson's obituary is concerned. It does say that he in 1936 was survived by a sister in Chicago, but her address was unknown!So, it appears that Beattia Sanderson must have been married some time between 1917 and 1930...!?Thanks again, Roger, for your wonderful assistance in this matter!Very sincerely yours,Lars E. Oyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.