Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#27197] Gravferd vs Jordfesting

Gjest Gordon Collett
 Del

Gjest Gordon Collett

In searching through death records, I have seen that three dates are often listed: Død (which is clear), Gravferd, and Jordfesting and that the Jordfesting can be months later. Can someone please explain what was meant by those second two terms?Also, in some of the very old records, such as death records for Stord in the 1730's, the dates don't seem to make sense. What is really being recorded?To take one of many examples, my wife's fith-great uncle, Nils Aanensson was christened the 29 Feb 1748 and was Gravlagde Domin. 3tia a Trinit. which by my conversion is 22 June 1749. But the death record says he was: 1 Aar, 5 Uger.One year, five weeks after his Christening date would have been March 28, so he would have died even before that.How long after death would he have likely been buried? What took place on June 22? Or am I missing something with these dates?Gordon Collett

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Geir Tverå

With help from Otto Jørgensen's homepage http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/family/index.htm - we find this explaination:The word 'jordfeste' or 'jordpåkasting' refers to the priest's blessing by tossing soil onto the coffin). Usually this would occur at the same time as the burial, i.e., the priest would be present at the burial and toss soil onto the coffin. If, however, the priest was away, it frequently occurred that the priest would conduct the 'jordpåkasting' some time after the burial. ***The age recorded by death/burial is seldom correct. Maybe the death record should say 1 Aar, 5 Md. Maybe the parents were wrong, maybe the priest wrote it down by bad memory, or maybe the church book is difficult to read? Maybe the person was buried long before 22 june?Usually the body was burried shortly after death, between 2 days and 2 weeks after death. Seldom longer. If the book says 22 june, it is Jordfestelse. If the burial happend at the same time(which we don not know, the person died earlier the same month.Geir

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.