Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#28409] Josef Stjerna Family

Gjest Ruth Stierna
 Del

Gjest Ruth Stierna

I seek Finnmark records for my husband's Stjerna ancestors. They were from Kuusamo, Finland & lived in Vadsø, Norway from 1870s to before 1882. They may have lived near Tromso in 1882. They emigrated to NY from Trondheim in summer of 1882. We have their Trondheim emigration record. Could someone help me by checking Vadsø church records for their names, arrival & leave dates & possible christening of children Mary & Johan Gustaf? Thank You.Their data: Johan Gustaf Elyasson Stjerna b.03.05.1820 Kuusamo, Finland; wife Britta Maria Hänninen b.15.03.1820 Kuusamo; Johan Abram Stjerna b.06.08.1846 Kuusamo; wife Sara Amanda Junes b.22.07.1851 Kemi, Finland; child Mary b.20.11.1880 ?Vadsø; child Johan Gustaf b.08.05.1882 ?vadsø or Tromso.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Odd Villy Ovesen

Hello RuthDigitalarkivet shows 15 persons with surname Stjerna leaving from Trondheim in 1882, eight leaving on Jun 28 and seven leaving on Jul 18. All except one has Vardø (not Vadsø) as place of residence, see this link for Johan and Sara: [url="http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=EMITROND&gardpostnr=33754&merk=33754#ovre>LenkeThere is no trace of the Stjerna families in the 1875 census, which probably means that they haven’t stayed very long in Norway.I checked the churchbooks for Vardø, and there I found one registration:Born 10 Feb 1880, bapt. 29 Jul 1880 Marie Emilie. Parents: Fisherman, Finnish, Johan Abraham Stjerna, b.1846 and wife Amanda Eriksdr Sillanpä, b.1850. Place of residence: Bomannifjord in Russia. Home baptism by Henrik Marsok, witnesses Josef Stjerna and Marie Stjerna.Bomannifjord (Pummanki) is on the Kola coast about 30 miles from the Norwegian border. The small fishing villages on the Kola had a large Finnish population at that time and many of these people lived partly on Kola and partly in Norway (especially in Vardø). In the 1880’s a lot of this Finnish population emigrated to North America.I would guess that the Stjerna family you are looking, was among these Finnish families. I have earlier tried to help a guy named Mike Junes to find one his ancestors, Olof Junes, and my guess is that Olof is Amanda’s brother, because they have used the same surnames (Erikson/Eriksdaughter Junes Sillanpä). Have a look at discussion no. 26216 in this forum:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ruth Stierna

Odd Villy, Thank you for link you sent for Stjerna emigrants from Trondheim. Many thanks for looking for them in Vardø records. Birth record of Marie Emilie Stjerna 10 Feb.1880 is for my husband's great aunt. She is sister of his grandfather Johan Gustaf. Family legend says Johan Gustaf Stjerna was born in Tromso.Yes, we believe Sara Amanda Sillanpä Junes was sister of Olaf Erikson Junes. Birth record of Marie Emilie is first time we've seen Sara Amanda linked by church record to her father Erik. Now we will order microfilms of Kemi parish & have a look for their family record.Amanda and Olaf lived near each other in Minnesota and are linked there by local history and Census but not family records. Junes & Stierna families in US lost touch for generations. Recently I learned of Mike Junes and other members of his family & are pleased to reestablish communication. Thank you for your assistance.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ruth Stierna

Arnstein, Thank you for the link to tballo list. The Stjernas on that list are the family members whose records I am seeking.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 3 måneder senere...
Gjest Odd Villy Ovesen

Hello, just wanted to call your attention to this debate: [url="http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebDebatt.exe?slag=listinnlegg&debatt=brukar&temanr=26216&sok=&startnr=&antall=&spraak=>LenkeThere you can see that I found the whole Erik Hansen Sillanpää family moving from Nedre Torneå in Sweden to Tromsø in 1865. After this discovery I looked for the other family members and I found that Johan Erik Eriksen stayed in Norway, married and settled down in Lyngen, Troms (neighbour community to Tromsø).Here he is in the 1875-census (just married): LenkeHere is his marriage record: LenkeTheir first child, Agnes: LenkeWho died 3 months old: LenkeThe family in the 1900-census (three daughters, Agnes, Sara and Johanna):

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.