Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#30933] Charles J. Bye; born in Arendal, Aust Agder ?

Gjest Karl Bye
 Del

Gjest Karl Bye

My uncle, Charles J. Bye, was born on 8 July 1879, but I do not know where he was born. Uncle Haakon Robert was born 29 August 1877 in Arendal; aunt Marie Elevine was born 27 May 1881 in Arendal; and aunt Oscara Francesca was born 4 May 1888 in Arendal. It seems logical to me that Charles also was most likely born in Arendal but so far I have been unable to find any documents confirming this. I wonder if there are any searchable files in which I could confirm Charles' birth in Arendal?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Oddbjørn Johannessen

There are, unfortunately, no such searchable files - and I couldn't find them in the 1900 Census. Perhaps they had already emigrated at that time? The next step should therefore be the church records, which are to be found in Statsarkivet in Kristiansand.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Karl Bye

Yes, all my family had emigrated to the United States in the late 1800s. My father emigrated circa 1888/89. Is the Statsarkivet searchable on-line like the Digitalarkivet?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Inger Falch-Jacobsen

The family is in Familysearch's files - seems that most of the children were born in Arendal. But you should check the church records to confirm this, as Oddbjørn suggests. Have a look at this: Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I managed a short visit to the Statsarkivet i Kristiansand today, just to check out the most vital information about the Bye children. Here's what the church record (Arendal) say:* Hakon Robert, b. 29/8 1877 (bapt. 26/12). Parents: Musiklærer Carl Olaves Bye og Juliane Marie f. Christensen* Charles Eli Julian, b. 8/7 1879 (bapt. 14/12). Parents: Instructør Carl Olaus Bye og Juliane Marie f. Christensen (Father's year of birth: 1833; Mother's year of birth: 1840)* Marie Elevine, b. 27/5 1881 (bapt. 28/8). Parents: Hoboist og Musik(directør?) Carl Olaves Bye og Juliane Marie f. Christensen* Francisca Oscara, b. 4/5 1888 (bapt. 22/7). Parents: Musikinstruktør Carl Olaus Bye og Hustru Juliane Marie Christensen (Father's year of birth: 1835; Mother's year of birth: 1840).As you will see, all of the children were born and baptized in Arendal. A confusing note is added to the information about Fransisca Oscara: '17/10 62 til Amerika'. The note definitely tells us about the emigration, but the date seems to be a bit 'cryptic'.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I have registered that FamilySearch has given Juliane Marie the family-name/patronymikon(?) Rasmussen. The church record obviously says Christensen. One of these ought to be her patronymikon, and the other her fathers patronymikon.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Karl Bye

First I must thank all who have worked to help me in my search for my roots. I quite frankly didn't expect such effort as I have been given. In my limited but growing knowledge of Norwegian vocabulary, Mange takk til begge av du!Because of the dates I had on my aunts and uncles, I strongly suspected that Charles might have been born in Arendal. I also have two more aunts and an uncle that may also have been born there. Hilda/Hulda S. was born 18 Jan. 1872; Jennie G. b. 1873, and uncle Olaf was born on 29 Apr. 1875. I am hoping that I can find them when I request copies of the micrifilm for those dates.I find it interesting that one of the occupations you found for Carl Olaus/Olavus was that of director. My father always told me that Carl had been director of the 'court/military' band for 28 years. This is the fist time I have been able to find something approaching a confirmation of this

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Karl Bye

I am afraid I was so excited that I forgot to add some more observations. My grandmother was born 7 Oct. 1839 and christened Juliane Marie Rasmusdatter, in Aker. My research indicated that later on she changed her name to Rasmussen so that her name wold agree with her brother's. By the time she married, she was using the surname Christensen like her father Rasmus Christensen.I was surprised to learn that my grandfather played the oboe (Hoboist ?). I only knew of him as playing piano, violin, and flute. Quite possibly the flute was an incorrect family legend.I have seen Charles' name as Charles E. or sometimes as Charles J. It was interesting to see his full name Charles Eli Julian. Aparently both initials were correct (depending on who was writing it).Finally: Carl seems to have used Olavus, Olaves, and Olaus interchangeably as his middle name. On the other hand, perhaps those responsible for initially recording such data, were not particularly careful in the spelling of ones name.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

It's a bit surprising that, according to the link suggested by Inger, Terschak Franzoir (your father?) seems to have been born in Kragerø (1884). And his name is definitely quite strange!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Karl Bye

My father, Terschak Franzoir Bye was the only child that was named by his father Carl, or so the story was told to me. Carl was a consumate musician, therefore he chose the name of a German musician he admired (with slight spelling changes). I have no idea why he would have been born in Kragerø, unless his mother happened to be visiting Kragerø at the time.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Perhaps someone here in Digitalarkivet could help you with information about what kind of (military?) band your grandfather was directing in Arendal? He was obviously both directing and playing - and you are right, I think, in supposing that a hoboist (an arcaic word) was playing the oboe.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Karl Bye

I've been searching for some record of his musical career as a director, for several years now, without success. I even tried e-mailing the Kings Guard because I thought the Kings Guard most certainly would have a band. Sorry to say, I never had a reply. I do know from my own knowledge that he had some sort of connection like that because the family used to have his ceremonial sword on display. It clearly went with some sort of uniform. I'm not sure I know how I might go about searching for this in the Digitalarkivet.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Karl Bye

I have begun to wonder. I actually had a total of 11 aunts and uncles. Five were born in Christiania (well, one actually was born in Aker) in the early years of their marriage, and four are accounted for in Arendal and Kragerø (still find the Kragerø birth strange). I have always had difficulty finding the birthplace of the remaining three. These three were born relatively close to the dates for those in Arendal. I wonder if it is possible that these three were in fact born in Arendal also? The earliest was my aunt Hilda S., one of the few that I actually remember, she was born on 18 Jan. 1872. The next is aunt Jennie G. born in 1873 (I don't have the day and month for her birth). The last of these was my uncle Olaf, born on 29 April 1875. Another connection that I think is quite important is that every member of my family were taught to play a musical instrument. My father was a successful pianist, my eldest aunt Klara was a pianist, in fact, at least once she was accompanist to Ole Bull, and my uncle Olaf, during his short life made his living as a pianist. I'm not sure what instruments the others played, but quite possibly they weren't quite as proficient.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.