Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#31022] Arendal baptism lookups

Gjest John Knudsen
 Del

Gjest John Knudsen

I'd be grateful for assistance in finding baptism information for children of Petter Martin Knudsen and Marie Sofie Andreasdatter.I am interested in witnesses listed for Barbu Church baptisms of Adolf Andreas Knudsen (born 14 June, 1884, baptized 6 July, 1884) and Nicolai Mandius Knudsen (born 7 March, 1887, baptized 19 June, 1887).I have no baptism information for Anna Elizabeth Knudsen (born 27 August, 1892 in New York City) or Hans Albert Knudsen (born 29 March, 1895 in Arendal).The 1900 Hisø census lists widow Marie Knudsen living at Sandvigen Gnr. 8 Bnr. 3 along with sons Karl, Mandius, Hans Albert, and daughter Enni (Anna). (Lenke)I hope that either Barbu or Hisø church might have recorded their baptism, listed the witnesses, and perhaps noted whether, or not, Marie was widowed at the time (I do not know the date or place of Petter Martin Knudsen's death).Thanks for the assistance.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjell Knudsen

1. Witnesses of Adolf Andreas Knudsen: Mother, married woman Karoline Karlsen, Father, ship's mate Simen? Knudsen, sailor Johan Karlsen. (Barbu A-2, 1883-1898)2. Witnesses of Nicolai Mandius Knudsen: Mother, married woman Andrea Petersen, Karl Johansen, Capt. Knud Løvold, worksman Peter Kristensen. (Barbu A-2, 1883-1898)3. Baptism information for Hans Christian(!) Albert Knudsen: Date of baptism, 6 June 1895; parents, ship's mate Peter Martin Knudsen (born 1852) and Marie Sofie Karlsen (born 1853, residence Hisø. Witnesses: Karl Emil Knudsen, Jens B. Pedersen, Tønnes Andreas Pedersen, the parents.(Arendal A-8, 1878-1899)4. Ship's mate Peter Martin Knudsen died in Hisø 29 June 1895 and was buried 3 July.(Hisøy B-3, 1885-1905)Best regards Kjell Knudsen Aust-Agder County Museum and Archive.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest John Knudsen

Hello Kjell:Thanks so much for the lookups.Peter Knudsen's death has been a long-standing family mystery. It's shocking to see how closely it followed upon Han's baptism.I notice the apparently illegible name of witness Simen? Knudsen. Could this name possibly be read as Severin? If so, it's most likely Peter Knudsen's elder brother, the first of the family from Hidra who came to live at Hisøy.A few questions:- I notice that Hans Knudsen's baptism is listed in the Arendal register. Where was his baptism actually performed?- Was Peter Knudsen interred at the Hisøy Church graveyard?- Was the cause of Peter Knudsen's death recorded?- Marie and the children left Arendal in May of 1891, apparently intending to remain permanently in New York with Peter. Are there any records which might indicate when, or possibly why, they actually returned to Arendal?Thanks again, JK

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjell Knudsen

Hello John.Simen/Severin. The name was difficult to read, it might have been Severin.Hans Knudsen was baptized in the Trinity Church in the centre of Arendal.Peter Knudsen was interrred at the Hisøy graveyard. I'm sorry I didn't check if a cause of death was given. I'll make another lookup when I return from my holidays in two weeks time.800000 Norwegians emigrated to the US, 200000 for some reason returned. Not everybody intended to stay permanently.Kjell

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjell Knudsen

Hello John.Peter Martin's cause of death was consumption. I also see from the Church record that at the time of his death the family lived at Kolbjørnsvig.The National Archive of Norway are now scanning microfilmed church records. The project has a test site and the actual Hisøy record is among the already scanned films.Kjell

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 måneder senere...
Gjest John Knudsen

Hi Kjell:John Daggan at the Metro NY Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church located the baptism of Anna Elizabeth Knudsen in the records of Vor Felsers Kirke (Danish Lutheran Church) in New York. Transcription follows:Anna Elizabeth født den 27 August, 1892 Datter af Mr. Peder Martin Knudsen og hustru Marie Sofie Knudsen f. Karlsen af New York. 115 W. 126 St. NY. Døbt den 18 September, 1892, 14 Lordag efter Trinity i Epiphany Kirke. New York Vitne: Foreldrene Severin Knudsen, Carl Jensen, Marie JensenBest regards, JK

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjell Knudsen

Hi John.Good to hear you found Anna Elizabeth as well. And from the list of witnesses we also find Severin Knudsen. So there is no doubt my transcription was wrong.Best regardsKjell

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.