Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#31639] Farm Name

Gjest Mangor Krogstad
 Del

Gjest Espen Grønna Brataker

An example: Krogseie (or Krogs-eie) does mean a cotters farm or a small farm under the farm Krog. To own = å eie. In the old days the people who lived on a farm did often own small cotter farms near the main farm and rented it to the cotters.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjell Halvorsen

Hi MangorThe expression 'smallholder' on a lend/lease basis, may be added to the explanation that Espen gave you. You will also find the ending '-eie' spelled '-eje'.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mangor Krogstad

Tussen Takk,I had never seen it spelled that way before.Sorry for the english after not useing Norsk for 50years it is hard to relearn.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Oddvar Søreide

Hello MangorYou have a lot of farmnames ending eide/eie/eje, and it is also many explanation to the names. Most of the names ending eide/eie/eje is related to the sea or to the water, meaning “leaving the sea/water and then go over land”. An example: We have the farmname Dals-eide. You here leave the sea and then go true a small passage between to mountain, and then your coming to the sea again on the other side of this passage. So the meaning of eide/eie/eje in this example is not to own the farm, but go through a small passage over land from sea to sea. You spell the word own the same way.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per Håkon Christiansen

I believe you are confusing two different things here: the majority of the cotters farms under a lend/lease contract go under the name of the main farm which owns the land, that's why they have, first, a name like (say) Vikseie/ Vikseje/ Vikseiet, often written Viksej to save work, expensive ink and paper. These pettyfarms also go under a local name, often quite descriptive of poverty, like Allermere (Neveragain), Sveltihjel (Starvation), or as in my grandparent's case: Tittut (Take-a-peek-out), Bratlie(Steep Hill) and Nøisomheden (Modesty). Eie/Eje/Ej in these cases are derived from their land being OWNED by a larger farm. In the census of 1801 we mostly find these cotters farms 'hidden' under the main farms as family number so-and-so, with a higher number higher than one, and the occupation Cotter (Husmand, hmd), while in 1865, 1875 and 1900 we often find both names.Eid/Eide/Eids- like in Eidsvold are on the other hand place-names derived from the form of the terrain, often a flat tongue of land constituting a land passage between lakes or waters. I do not believe that this has anything to do with ownership at all; Eie(t)/Ej and Eid/Eids have as far as I know two completely different connotations (meanings).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.