Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#33416] searching emigrant databases

Gjest david bailey
 Del

Gjest david bailey

Is there a way to search all emigrant lists at once.It's very time consuming to enter all the criterea in each one when one is not sure of the name used when leaving Norway

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest david bailey

No, but he gave his name on one birth record as 'Charles SATLAND Carlson'. he also used 'carl carlson','charles frank carlson and 'charles carlson'.So i am guessing tha his Norwegian name would be carl carlson satland but i cant find a place called Satland.I did find a frank carlson in oslo of the right age but cant find him in the emigrant registers.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Marie Skålnes

There are farms called Sortland in Hordaland and Nordland. In Vest-Agder there is Sorteland. I found the names in 1865. In Nordland also the parish is called Sortland.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tor Rustad

David;What's his date of birth? If he was living in Norway when a Census was taken it might be possible to start at that end.And it will sure make it easier to search him up at the records of emigrants too.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest david bailey

In the 1900 census for renville minnesota his birthdate is given as may 1849 and he said he had arrived in the usa in 1887. After the previous message i looked a storteland and saw that it was in the holme parish.This is intriguing as on the childrens birth certificate the mother's name is olia Holmon or holmen.did the staland come from her perhaps? was carl following a Norwegian custom?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tor Rustad

'Satland' can also be 'Soteland'?? LenkeTo bad there's no 'Carl/Karl' there according to 1865 Census; however, if he was a member of a cotters family they could have moved in after 1865. As you probably know they used the patronymicum (KarlSEN) as the surname and sometimes also added the name of the farm as an 'adress' or 'extra' surname.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tor Rustad

For some reason the link don't turn up, try this one LenkeWrite 'soteland' at 'bosted' , chose 1865 and you'll get it! (West Agder CO)Notice: The name of the farm is Soteland, the name of the parish is 'Holme' and the name of the township is 'Holum', almost the same as the name of Olia, Carl's wife.Probably a wrong track, but have a look at it.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest david bailey

Thanks for you efforts Tor.We assume he got married 1888/9 in the USA as olia is shown on the 1900 census entering the usa in 1881 and carl in 1887.Family legend says he was a fishing boat captain in Norway and on the census he is a carpenter.His childrens' names were Carl John and Clarence O? (twins) Lawrence (Lauris) melvin and laura ? (twins) Hilda serena and Helma o? (twins) lillie sophiaWhy 'o's on their own?Was a grandparent an o*?I know that it may be impossible to find them as on another branch of the family 'karelius Arnes' got on the boat but when he got to North Dakota he was Charles A Nord.I only found him because he had a wife andthree children with him with the right names and ages.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.