Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#33504] Tobior SUIRSDATTER ?

Gjest Steve Rea
 Del

Gjest Steve Rea

My family has a shipping trunk which has Torbior Suirsdatter AGE 1835 painted on the outside. We have no idea who she is and what connection she has to our family. Inside the trunk in a secret compartment were several letters written to her from Norway and also her smallpox vaccination certificate. I believe that I found her in the 1801 telling for 1211 Etne. Any further information that I could find about her would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Steve

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per Håkon Christiansen

I don't quite get this. If you have her smallpox vaccination certificate that ought normally give us more information than you have stated here, like her parent's names, where they are living, date of birth (baptism), the name of the person who have vaccinated her, possibly the name of the priest etc. With that information it should not be so difficult to trace her. Please give us all the information, or, if the certificate is difficult to interpret you could possibly scan it and display it in this forum?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arild Kompelien

Why should this be the right Torbjørg? What is the connection between her and Etne? I see no connection except that the name fits in.May be she is the right one. But to decide that more information is needed, as mentioned by Håkon in (2).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

In Ullensvang / Kinsarvik there are several Age/Aga farms. There is also some children called Siuldson at Aga farm beeing burried there in th 1830s. The name Sjul and Torjørg is also used on the Aga farms here. I guess your woman has her roots at one of the Aga farms in Ullensvang. There is by the way an 18 year old girl Torbjørg Sjursdatter leaving Bergen in 1850: http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_list.asp?jo=1104Maybe someone could look into the records for Ullensvang / Kinsarvik.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I believe, like Jon (no 10 ++) that the Aga farms and Ullensvang is a much more likely candidate and Etne just a raw guess. That is why I wanted the additional information which can most certainly be found on the vaccination certificate ('kokoppevaccinationsattest'.) With luck we might find Torbjør(g)'s emigration. So please, Steve, give us ALL the information you have.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

She may well be the right one. But I still feel the need to go back to Steve's original statement, that she left a shipping trunk (utstyrskiste?, reiseskrin?) with the inscription (with my corrections) 'Torbiør Siursdatter Age 1835'. According to (14) she is born around 1831.1. When is it natural for a young girl at that time to aquire a trunk? From birth until confirmation and marriage? Maybe she got it 4 years old?2. It may be possible to find a connection between Torbjør and your (other?) ancestors, Steve, and maybe that way certify that we have found the correct one, but for that we need more information.pehå

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arild Kompelien

I think this guessing is hopeless. To show how hopeless it is - what about Torbjørg Skiursdatter in Røldal - 7 years old 1801? So far I can see no indication of where Torbjørg stems from - it can be Etne, or it can be Østerdalen.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Steve Rea

Thanks for the responses I am sorry I have been so long in replying. I have now found the smallpox vaccination certificate. She is listed as Torbior Suirsdatter AGE fobt i Hardanger af Suir Knudsen og Anna Asbiornsdatter. og boenbe i Ullengvang Sogn ?????? The certificate is dated 13th April 1830. I believe I may have found her on the Norway heritage web site :- Left Stavanger 8th June 1836 and arrived in New York 13th August 1836 aboard the Den Norske Klippe there is a Torbier AGA listed with her husband John AGA and children Halstien Johnsen and Herborg Johnsdatter. As I said previously I have no info on Torbier other than having a sea trunk with her name on and a date of 1835, any information that I could get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Steve

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Steve Rea

Jon- thanks yes she is NOT the right one I have checked her again and it just does not add up. Your posts in no's 11 & 12 are definately her as they correspond with her smallpox certificate.The shipping trunk had a group of about 15 letters in it, all of which are written in Norwegian and of course I do not speak a word of the language so I do not understand them, the letters are postmarked between 1858 and 1872, they could possibly be correspondence between her and her family?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you for coming back with more information. (As I said in (2) there SHOULD be more info in the smallpox certificate. Letters like these are historically interesting and much sought after. I think you should seriously consider scanning them and adding them to this forum. That way we we can translate them and maybe also find clues about the relationship between Torbjør and your family, if there is one.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Trygve Utne

Hi! One of Torbior`s (Torbjørg) brothers was Asbjørn. If it can be of interest, I have contact with a woman in Minnesota who has a little information about Asbjørn. She is married with one of Asbjørn`s descendants. I know that she has picture of Asbjørn. I have also sent her a little bit information about the Aga-family, as well a photo of the place where Torbior and Asbjørn were born. If you are interested, she has told me I can give you her web-address: mmoen@prtel.comRegards Trygve Utne

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.