Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#35228] Searching foe MUNNICH - emigrees from Norway to USA ca 1900

Gjest David Lewin
 Del

Gjest David Lewin

The Search & Unite Team People searchers wherever they have scattered Tel: +44 208 446 0404 E-mail: davidlewin@bigfoot.com Web Page: http://remember.org/unite David Lewin, 156 Totteridge Lane, London N20 8JJ - FAX +44 208 445 8732 We are searching for descendants of two Norwegians who immigrated into the USA:1. Herman Wilhelm MUNNICH Born 20 Oct 1887 in Sweden, emigrated from Kristiana, Norway to USA 16 Feb 1906 on M/S Montebello bound for Boston MA. Possible Occupation: Travelling Salesman. Old postcards exist mailed from Blanca Colorado and from Alamosa, Colorado in 1912.2. An older brother Knut (Canute) MUNNICH born 12 Jan 1877 (who, in 1906 was already in the USA). Enlisted US Navy 14 Mar 1898. Served 3 years as ordinary seaman in the Spanish-American War in Manilla Bay. Worked in the Merchant Navy and became Captain. Died 23 Sep 1938 at Barnert Memorial Hospital, Paterson, New Jersey .We would love to have your guidance as to how and where we can search for possible relatives of these two men Would you know anyone else I can ask?Thank you, and have a healthy 2006 David Lewin

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tor Rustad

Well; here he is together with his family; living in Oslo (Kristiania Lenke I don't think it's easy to find much info on him in Norway. Acording to the childrens date of birth they imigrated Norway after 1885 (but before 1900)There's no other census taken, but maybe someone can look up in the address books for Oslo?I'll try to look for the siblings and possible decsendants;let's hope they kept on using their surname; it's a rare one.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tor Rustad

I haven't found any at White pages in Norway; but there are more than four in Sweden.However; there's a street in Oslo:Edvard MünichsveiMaybe some connection? Let's wait for more help!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arne Solås

Probable the death-registration for Selma (?) (SSDI) :Name: Selma ChristensenSSN: 001-18-6759Last Residence: 05346 Putney, Windham, Vermont,United States of AmericaBorn: 2 Dec 1891Died: Oct 1978State (Year) SSN issued: New Hampshire (Before 1951 )

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tor Rustad

Yes Arne; she emigrated too. For some reason the link don't turn up as it should; but here she is: 189281 Oslo 1907 18.03.1907 22.03.1907 Selma Gunhild Munnich k ug hj. 02.12.91 Sverdrupsgd. 4 II Boston Prp Lie Hellig OlavNotice; she's going to Boston like her brother and the ticket is prepaid.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest David Lewin

I hope this ADDS a line to the existing MUNNICH discussion thread. I do not understand Norwegian cannot follow any of the instructions.There is a bewildering amount of information on the list, and I want to thank you for it. TWO siblings have been identified, going to Boston Then came the Social Security Death Index entry from Arne Solås, Bergen, with the Probable the death-registration for Selma (?) (SSDI) : Name: Selma Christensen HOW did you come to switch to the family name Christensen from Munnich?I also saw no way to respond to any of you kind contributors directly. Is there a way?Please can someone teach me?Thank youDavid Lewin

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tor Rustad

David;I guess you have this one?Name: Herman Munnich Arrival Date: 2 Mar 1906 Age: 18 years Estimated Birth Year: 1888 Gender: Male Ethnic Background: norwegian;swed Port of Departure: Liverpool, England Ship Name: Saxonia Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts Friend's Name: A P Olson Last Residence: Sweden Microfilm Roll Number: 91 If you don't have it and want to have the scanned image I can send it if I'll get an email address.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tor Rustad

Selma is here:Name: Selma Munnich Age in 1910: 18 Estimated birth year: abt 1892 Home in 1910: 2-Wd Newton, Middlesex, Massachusetts Neighbors: View Results Race: White Gender: FemaleI got the scanned image; feel free to ask for it.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tor Rustad

US Census 1930, New Jersey, Union, Plainfield:Canute Munnich is living together with his sister Selma Christensen (head of household) and her daughter Helen (age 16) Helen's father was born in Denmark.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arne Solås

WW1 Draft Registration Cards 1917 - 1918, - Registration Place Brooklyn, Kings, New York. Sept. 12. 1917, Canute Munnich, birth date jan. 12. 1878. Nearest relative: Mrs. Christensen Selma.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arne Solås

1920-Census, Brooklyn, Kings, NY. 195 Sterling Street.Charles Munnich, Head, 41, single, born in Sweden, Year of immigration: 1890, nat. 1896, Occupation: Delegate - Seamens Union.Selma Christensen, Sister, 37, Widow, born i Norway, imm. 1906, nat. 1912.Helen Christensen, Niece, 6, born in Massachusetts, - her father born in Denmark ond mother in Norway,

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest David Lewin

Thank you for so much help!!I would love a copy of the scanned images - and source of the records which you have found.Arne Solås, please teach me - how did you make the 'leap' from MUNNICH to CHRISTENSEN in your posting:Probable the death-registration for Selma (?) (SSDI) : Name: Selma Christensen SSN: 001-18-6759 Last Residence: 05346 Putney, Windham, Vermont, United States of America Born: 2 Dec 1891 Died: Oct 1978 State (Year) SSN issued: New Hampshire (Before 1951 )what does 'Ta vare på namn til seinare bruk:' mean - do I tick it or not????Thanks againDavid Lewin davidlewin@btinternet.com

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest V &G Åhling

If you when you get to the front page of Digitalarkivet press 'English' down to the left of the page you will get some English helptexts. Continue from there to this debate.It will explain the box. If you are on your own computer, it can be convenient to tick it.Without knowing, I would guess that the last name was obtained by putting the given name and the date of birth (which was given in the emigration database) in the SSDI, and got this as a possible hit. The census finds seem to prove it right.So of the at least six children of the Münnichs'(five in the 1900 census plus the Knut that you knew of) at least four emigrated (Knut, Herman, Selma, and one of Selma´s sisters whom she states that she is travelling to).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tor Rustad

Jon Erik: At (7) you said she went to a sister.I have searched for the Munnich sisters as emigrants (only from Oslo) with various spelling; also with unknown surname (maybe she was married) No result so far.Where did you find 'the sister'?I haven't found Knut/Canute either. Maybe he emigrated directly from Sweden, and maybe there was another sister too?(I found a Canute Munich at Ellis Island in 1921; but if it's him it has to be another voyage)I have also searched for Selma's imigrant sister in US archives; no reult so far.Maybe some others can make it better?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tor Rustad

It's always possible to learn!I found her in another archive; the emigrants form Oslo 1867-1930: Lenkeand there the information about the sister is not noted!Ok; then we know for sure one of Selma's sisters (maybe an 'unknown' from Sweden) emigrated earlier.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest David Lewin

David; Did you get the scanned images (10,11 and 12)?NO - I did not get any scans. Did you send them by email to me? If so - I wonder whether possibly they got caught in spam protection settings ??? Can you please re-send - and warn me that they are coming, orwhich email address to filter in? David

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tor Rustad

David;I have send the scanned images another way. If it's OK at your end tell me and I'll send the others too.Here's the indexed result from what I send you: Exact Search Results - Boston Passenger Lists, 1891-1943 You searched for Herman Munnich Refine your search All ResultsViewing 1-1 of 1View Record Name Arrival Date Estimated Birth Year Gender Port of Departure Last Residence Ship Name View ImageView Record Herman Munnich 2 Mar 1906 1888 Male Liverpool, England Sweden Saxonia

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tor Rustad

I improved the scanned image and noticed he was going to a cousin A.P. Olsen; Hyde Park, Boston.His last recidence is noted as Christiania (Oslo) He brought with him 10 USD

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tor Rustad

David;I think you should try to track down Arne's info from the SSDI (5)You can try to get the SSDI-documents of course; but I would advice you as a step #1 to look for some genealogists in Putney. The population is only about 2700. Maybe someone rember her or better; maybe you can get an obituary.Here's a link to Putney municipality [url="http://www.putney.net/>http://www.putney.net/You can also try to put a message here:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.