Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#36394] John Nelson born 1870 son of John Nelson and Anna Ingeman

Gjest Paul R. Nelson
 Del

Gjest Paul R. Nelson

Looking for my gg grandfather's parents, John Nelson and Anna Ingeman. John Nelson immigrated from Norway (Bergen) to Michigan before 1893. He met and married Maggie Loague, the had a son named Everett Nelson, my grandfather. John Nelson said on his marriage license that his parents were named 'John Nelson' and 'Anna Ingeman'. He was reportedly killed in a brawl in a railway station in Chicago in 1894.I know that this is not much, but it is all that I have. Perhaps someone can give me pointers on the likely spelling of the names, or location of the families based on the name - Ingeman, fairly unusual in the 1875 Census.Any ideas or pointers would be helpful.thanks in advance, Paul

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Aase R Sæther

If John Nelson said that his father's name was John Nelson, he would most likely leave Norway under the name of John Johnsen (John, son of John).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjellaug Robberstad Petit

The Anna Ingemann found above is mentioned several times on FS: LenkeShe may have had a child out of wedlock, but if so he should be found in the churchbooks in Trondheim.Kjellaug

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristin S. Aasen

Hei!I have some questions to you. Your answers on my questions can give more information, which can help us more.Questions are:1. Was Bergen the place there John Nelson was born in 1870? (there he immigrated from)2. How do you know that he was born in 1870?3. What kind of occupation had John Nelson (1870) and his father? (if you know that)4. What were the names of the children to John Nelson and Anna Ingeman? (if you know that)5. What were the names of the children to John Nelson born 1870? What time is his oldest born born?6. Do you have found John Nelson born 1870 in census in U.S. 1900? If, what stands it there?For example the month of the birth. Fine to know where the census is, too.7. Could you scan the marriage license and show this here? What time was/happened the marriage?Nelson/Nilsen could orinate/come from fathers given name/first name, for example Nils/Nels here in Norway.Anna Ingemann in Trondheim would been a (very) young mother if she was mother to John Nelson born 1870.From Kristin S. Aasen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Paul Nelson

I am enjoying the 'debate forums'. I am very happy that anyone is interested in this puzzle and willing to help - many thanks!!! You have excellent questions. I will try to answer: 1. Was Bergen the place there John Nelson was born in 1870? (there he immigrated from) ANSWER: Not sure if John was BORN in Bergen or if he IMMIGRATED from there. The only evidence is an oral family story from my grandmother, without many details. 2. How do you know that he was born in 1870? ANSWER: I found a marriage license record from 1893 when John Nelson married Maggie Loague, see entire transcription below, indicating that he was 23 years old in 1893 hence the estimate of his birth in 1870:Text of Marriage License, John Nelson and Maggie Loague. Original Record resides in the Manistee County, Michigan, USA, County Clerk’s Office Transcription by Paul Raymond Nelson August 2004 Entry no. 1200, Book 3, Page 81 Groom: John Nelson, 23 years old, white Residence: Browntown (Brown township) MI Birth Place: Norway Occupation: Laborer Name of Father: John Nelson Maiden Name of Mother: Anna Ingeman (?) Not previously married (1st marriage) Bride: Maggie Loague, 16 years old, white Residence: Burnham (Ed. Note: in Arcadia Township north of town about 1-1/2 miles) Birth Place: Indiana Occupation: domestic Name of Father: James Loague Maiden Name of Mother: Not Known Not previously married (first marriage) Date of license: 08 Mar 1893 Date of Marriage 13 Mar 1893 Place of Marriage: Burnham By Whom: Frank Avery, Justice of Peace Witnesses: May Mallison of Burnham, Manistee, Michigan Florence Tookey [Toohey?] of Burnham, Manistee, Michigan 3. What kind of occupation had John Nelson (1870) and his father? (if you know that) Answer: John Nelson (b.1870) was probably a laborer in the lumber industry in Brown township, Manistee County, Michigan. This was the era of the big white pine in Michigan. I do not know the occupation of the John Nelson father of John Nelson (b. 1870). 4. What were the names of the children to John Nelson and Anna Ingeman? ANSWER: I do not know of John Nelson's siblings. I only know that John Nelson (b. 1870) listed his parents names on his marriage license, see above. 5. What were the names of the children to John Nelson born 1870? What time is his oldest born born? ANSWER: John Nelson (b. 1870) had only one child with Maggie Loague his wife. The first child was a male, named Everett Nelson, (b. 1893). The story is that John Nelson (b. 1870)then left his family and died in a brawl (fight) in a railway station in Chicago. I have not been able to verify the date or circumstances of his death. 6. Do you have found John Nelson born 1870 in census in U.S. 1900? ANSWER: I have not found John Nelson (b. 1870) in the 1900 census because he is supposed to have died in 1894. Also, as you may know, the 1890 census in US was destroyed by fire, so no record from 1890. And I cannot say if John Nelson (b. 1870) was in the US as of 1880.7. Could you scan the marriage license and show this here? What time was/happened the marriage? ANSWER: Please see answer to no. 2 above.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Knut Sandblost

No. Parents not right according to Family Search: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- JOHANNES MATHIAS NILSEN Male -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: 21 FEB 1870 Christening: 08 MAY 1870 Askvoll, Sogn Og Fjordane, Norway Death: Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parents: Father: NIELS ANDERSEN Family Mother: PETRINE ENGELSDR

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjellaug Robberstad Petit

He could also have been born in either 1869 or 1871.One from Bruvik: [url="http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=EMIBERG&gardpostnr=10216&merk=10216#ovre>LenkeOne from Voss: LenkeOne from Hafslo: LenkeOne from Alversund: LenkeAnother one from that area: LenkeOne from Skånevik: LenkeOne from Voss:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.