Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#36786] Who was Svend Svendsen from Stangvik b. about 1819?

Gjest Carol Larson
 Del

Gjest Carol Larson

My gr gr grandfather, Svend Svendsen (age 24?) married Sigrid Olsdatter 27 10 1843 in Oppdal. The records say he was born in Stangvik and the family name was Mellem. I can't find the Stangvik church records and I want to learn more about Svend. The family tradition says he came from Sweden. But how and when? Can anyone help me? Thanks from Kentucky

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Johan I. Borgos

There's a parish called Stangvik in Møre and Romsdal county, not far from Oppdal, where he was married. Stangvik may now be a part of Surnadal parish, I'm not sure, but there should be church records available somewhere.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjellaug Robberstad Petit

But there doesn't seem to be any farm called Mellem there. On the other hand, you have Mellem in Sogn and Fjordane (Hasflo) and nn both North and South Tröndelag. The name Svend occurs at least on two of these farms.Maybe it was his wife who came from Stangvik? Kjellaug

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjellaug Robberstad Petit

Found a Svend Svendsen born in Stangvik, but he's really 10 years too old: [url="http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/igi/individual_record.asp?recid=500220782677&lds=1&region=12&regionfriendly=&juris1=Norw&juris2=&juris3=&juris4=&regionfriendly=&juris1friendly=Norway&juris2friendly=&juris3friendly=&juris4friendly=>LenkeBut still, he could have died and another son could have got the same name.Could it be him all the same? Here it says that he was 34 when he married:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Endre Holten

Census 1865, Opdal, Norway. Svend Svendsen, farmer on Mellemvolden, Sneve in Opdal. born ca. 1810 in Sweden, no in Stangvik. His wife, Sigrid Olsdtr. b. ca. 1818 in Opdal. Children: Mari, b. 1851, Eli, b. 1854, Anton, b. 1859, Christine, b. 1862 and Johan, b. 1864. Mvh. Endre.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Carol Larson

This is the correct census entry for 'my family'. The information I had was from the Vigde i Oppdal 1739-1911. Svend Svendsen (Family name Mellem) residence Innerdalen married Sigrid Olsdotter. His age appears to be ' 24 ?' so very likely that the person who transcribed the information guessed that his age was 24 and that was only a guess. Now where is Mellemvolden? Thank you so much for your help this is very exciting. Carol

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Hanne Line Osberg Eide

I think I have found Mellemvollan (In the middle of the picture). Today it's name is Mælesvolden. Sneve is now Snøve. These places are south for Oppdal.- Hanne Line -

bilete0532.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Hanne Line Osberg Eide

I try again.I think I have found Mellemvolden. Today it's name is Mælesvollan (In the middle of the picture). Sneve is now Snøve. These places are south for Oppdal.- Hanne Line -

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torgeir Kvalvaag

'Innerdalen' (6) is today part of Sunndalen municipality. Maybe Innerdalen at the time was inside Stangvik parish, then the information that he came from Stangvik makes sense.While Stangvik municipality in 1965 was split between its neighbours Tingvoll, Surnadalen and Sunndal, there is still a parish called Stangvik.You'll find more information about Innerdalen on this site[url="http://www.innerdalen.com/index.htm>http://www.innerdalen.com/index.htmAnd hereLenkeAs you'll see the distance from Innerdalen to Oppdal is 90 kilometers. Especially during late summer seasons a lot of people used to move from the coastal area (the 'fiords') to Oppdal to help with the haymaking (and make a few bucks...) This was a very old tradition the haymaking season was later up in the mountains in Oppdal. I made this journey myself in the summer 1959.Information about Stangvik is here:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Carol Larson

Thank you so much for this amazing information. Sigrid and her two youngest children, Christine and Johan emmigrated from Opdal in 1874. First they traveled to LaCrosse, Wisconsin to join Ole and Svend. By 1877 they had moved on to Brookings, South Dakota where Sigrid remained until her death in 1905. Life must have been very hard in Opdal after the father's death in 1872, to force them to leave the beauty of the mountains for the plains of South Dakota. The family story was that the Father came from Sweden and he died of asthma in 1872. How can I learn more about this? I want to come and visit Norway and see for myself. That will be my plan for 2007. Thank you so much for your help. Carol larson in Kentucky

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torgeir Kvalvaag

May be this is your Sigrid:[url="http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/vr/individual_record.asp?recid=29051658&lds=4®ion=12®ionfriendly=Norway&juris1=5&juris2=&juris3=&juris4=®ionfriendly=&juris1friendly=Norway&juris2friendly=&juris3friendly=&juris4friendly=>LenkeIf so, these are her parents in 1865 (living at Snøve):LenkeAnyways, this is the wedding:LenkeBut I guess you already have this information.A person with 'residence' in Innerdalen most likely walked through the mountains to get til Oppdal. Innerdalen is one of the gateways to a well known hiking area and it is a much shorter distance to Oppdal through the mountains to for instance Gjevilvatnet.You'll find some of this information here:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.